02 Dually Towing Power - What to expect? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2008, 02:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
crash1068

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

02 Dually Towing Power - What to expect?

I've got an 02 3500 dually and we've only used it to tow our larger trailer a couple of times since we got it a couple of months ago. I'm not really sure what to expect, but it seems weak to me. Am I expecting too much? Honestly, most of my experience has been with an 04 Ford 6.0. Got the chevy figuring the long term reliability would have a better outlook.

Our 5th wheel is about 12k & 36ft. On flat ground it'll cruise at 65-70mph, but accelerating much at all goes to downshift & redline while it slowly if at all accellerates. I'm afraid of what it'll do in the mountains or with a heavier load. Our 6.0 would hit 80mph before you knew it and had to back off. I expected it to be a little less than the 6.0, but not like this.

changed the fuel filter (made it a little better), cleaned the K&N. Fuel injectors were replaced 10k miles ago. No smoke.

Taking it to the dealer today to check out a coolant leak, but thinking of just selling it. Right now, our 5.4gas work truck will tow the 5th wheel almost as well.

Any thoughts? What's y'alls experience with downshifting & accellerating with a load?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2008, 02:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
sparky1562
Diesel Champ

How many miles on it? Any rough idle, hard start, or fuel in the oil?
Any sign of head gasket trouble?

I would ditch the K&N and go back to stock. Could have dirty or oily MAF from it causing some loss of power. (search in the fuel system forum for air filter discussions). Get some CRC MAF cleaner and try that.

Stock tune? Get a PPE excellerator, even the economy tune one, and it will wake that DMax up. With mine of level 2, the difference towing my gooseneck horse trailer is well worth it.

MKW M26 Wheels BFG 265/70R-17/E
Fold-a-cover, trailer brakes, B&W Turn Over Ball
New Injectors at 83,670, ISSPRO Pyro and Boost Pillar mount. PPE Boost Valve. PPE Excellerator.
Cognito pitman and ilder arm brace. Bilstein Shocks at 100K.

Last edited by sparky1562; 05-30-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2008, 03:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crjcw
Diesel Starter

Since you have a K&N filter, I'll make the suggestion to check your Mass Air Flow Sensor. I had problems with oil on mine and have since switched to a Wix filter. Still has good flow ratings, but better dirt stopping power and no oil on the sensor. The MAF is one of the easiest places to start. And your power symptoms seem to fit.

2002 GMC Sierra CCSB 4x4 LB7 285,000 miles
Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2008, 03:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
crash1068

I too hate the K&N, but it was on there and I didn't have a stock setup. I tried a stock like filter on the K&N tube for our trip to florida recently... no difference. I did clean the MF, but didn't replace it.

No codes. 153k on truck. No fuel in the oil that I can see from the paper towel test. Level stays pretty constant.

I do have a coolant leak that leaks quite a bit when above 2000rpm. It drips/runs down mostly from above the bell housing down over the oil filter.

Starts instantly. No smoke. In fact it runs decent empty so I never noticed it until we installed our gooseneck & 5th hitch to start hooking up to the trailers. Now I guess I missed something when we bought it.

I'll buy a new filter setup if we keep the truck, but right now I just can't imagine any of the big 3 towing this weakly on a diesel, but maybe I'm used to a different running diesel.

I wouldn't even mind a tuner, but just don't want to drop any money in it on performance stuff unless I know that the truck is running right.

Anyone towed with both a ford and a chevy?
Old 05-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
reloy
Diesel Fanatic

i agree with sparky. the ppe does amazing things. The intake and exhaust, and a tuner are the first things i would recommend with any duramax.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crjcw
Diesel Starter

There's got to be something missing. I pull 13k with no problem, and did so even before the six gun. It's just wasn't as easy. Somebody on here will have some good ideas, I'm sure of it.

2002 GMC Sierra CCSB 4x4 LB7 285,000 miles
Sold
Old 05-30-2008, 03:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
crash1068

I'm all for a tuner, but I just can't spend more money until I know if there is something actually wrong with the truck. I don't trust the dealer much to tell me, but we'll see what he says. It doesn't feel anywhere near what I expected and I'm wondering if there's a problem with the boost or fuel...
Old 05-30-2008, 03:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
sparky1562
Diesel Champ

Did you check the boost tube off the turbo down to the intercooler for a rub hole? There have been lots of posts on that lately.

The coolant leak is probably coming from one of the hoses on the turbo.
MKW M26 Wheels BFG 265/70R-17/E
Fold-a-cover, trailer brakes, B&W Turn Over Ball
New Injectors at 83,670, ISSPRO Pyro and Boost Pillar mount. PPE Boost Valve. PPE Excellerator.
Cognito pitman and ilder arm brace. Bilstein Shocks at 100K.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Paul Clancy
Diesel Boss

My 02 runs up big grades at speed limit with 10,000lbs . Yes it'll downshift as needed but keeps pulling/accelerating. Check those ic hoses for leaks.
2nd dmax 2009 GMC 2500hd SLE2 CC SB Z71 4wd lmm/alli 6spd, Onyx over titanium, spray in armaguard bedliner, deezee rail caps, ici gatorback flaps, gm oval step bars, gm brake controller, gm remote start and tow mirrors, 17in gm wheels, delta bed level toolbox , chrome door handles, gm 6 disc bose-xm w rear ent, Garmin nuvi 3590lmt, dic button upgrade, gm Power moonroof/rear slider, rear wheel well liners, fuel filter door, Hijacker 5th hitch, firestone ride rite bags, Rancho 9000xl, fass titanium 165. Kennedy Custom ecm. Edge cts2. Pulling 2014 Crusader 295rst Touring Edition champagne.

1st dmax 2002Bowtie 2500hd 4wd dmax/allison SB OECnyx, Sold to a lucky fellow.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
crash1068

I've done some looking for leaks, but haven't seen anything. I did check the driver's side tube pretty close where I read there had been rubs.

I got it a the dealer now to look at the coolant leak. We'll see what comes of that.

I did clamp the waste gate tube to see if it ran a little stronger since I don't have much to work with like a boost gage or something to compare to except the ford. It seemed stronger (unloaded). However, when I took the vice grips off, it really didn't run any different (unloaded still). Makes me wonder if the waste gate is sticking and if now it's sticking closed instead of open.

To me the power issue or lack there of is above 2000rpm. It does pretty well lugging around below that, but not much of extra above it.

thanks for the feedback on others towing. It's hard to imagine that what I got is the norm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in