Locking out 6th gear when towing? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
FSTDMAX
Glow Plug

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Locking out 6th gear when towing?

I usually do it alot. Seems to me that the truck is really lugging alot of the time in 6th and temps get higher. Anyone else do this or notice the same thing?

-O5 F350 6.0L-SOLD
-08 F350 6.4L-Didn't come in time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008, 10:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
bartman
Diesel Head

I do when it makes sense, like longer hills and when there is a good headwind. If I can keep the speed around 70 then it doesnt lug as bad and I can usually conquer the rollers if they aren't to long or steep. 6th is a good choice for long, flat stretches of freeway to save fuel.

2011 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab, Dually, 4x4, LTZ in summit white and cashmere interior. Nav, Sunroof, Power Sliding rear window, GM 6" Stainless Chrome steps, Line-X Liner, Vent Shades, Black Moleded mud flaps, 4300K HID low beams, 3000K HID Fogs, ISSPRO EV2 guages and holder on the way. GM Accessories Headrest DVD players.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2008, 10:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
christopherglenn
Diesel Champ

the higher gear, the better fuel economy. If the temps are getting higher, that is most likely due to a lower water pump / cooling fan speed, then lugging the engine. The higher the rpm's the faster the fuel usage.
2011 Keystone Fuzion 405
2013 Yamaha 242LS
2015 Yamaha Waverunner FX Cruiser SVHO
2016 Chevy Dually CC 4X4 D/A LML
Member # 465 3500 Dually Club
Sold 05 Chevy 2500HD SB 4X4 D/A LLY

Neighbors must think I run a used car lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
skiandplay101
Glow Plug

When I am climbing hills I will use the M mode alot to control the truck especially if I am following some jacka$$ who doesn't know how to use the gas pedal. I notice cooler exaust temps at times while in a lower gear if the truck is having problems at that speed even with higher RPMs
air bags, roll & lock, rhino over rails, chrome nerf bars, Banks 4" cat back & cool air intake and new intercooler, Bilstien 5100's all around, Banks six gun with PDA, Transgo jr, Blocker, sticky finger, Mike L. trany cooler.

36' Patio Hauler (13000# dry)
28' 26000# backhoe trailer with digger (17000# loaded)

Click Here to read about the Arizona chapter DP Club!
Old 05-22-2008, 12:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
RV Guy
Glow Plug

Lone Star Diesels Member

I would attribute your lugging problem to your increased tire size. I'll let you or others do the math, but I wouldn't be surprised if your larger diameter tires is affecting the ratio to where you are dealing with a 3.40 or perhaps 3.20 gears. Pulling a heavy trailer in 6th with that ratio would certainly be an issue.

[CENTER][B][FONT=Georgia]2017 GMC 2500HD Denali, Crew Cab, Stryker Toy Hauler
Old 05-22-2008, 03:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Drumaniac3000
Diesel Apprentice

Lugging the truck in a higher gear can also unlock the torque converter and cause it to generate additional heat. Dropping to a lower gear can usually use less of the torque converter or cause it to lock, allowing it to run cooler. Lugging the motor also builds heat more so than letting it use the lower gears to it's advantage. I agree with RV Guy in that larger tires may also be affecting your RPMs. Just my $.02...
Old 05-22-2008, 10:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
DURAtotheMAX
Posting Fiend

keep it in drive, tow/haul on, and leave the damn thing alone! The allison was built to haul huge trailers day in and day out without rest. You do not need to second guess it or try to help it out.

When you are in tow/haul, the converter DOES NOT UNLOCK WHEN YOU LUG IT.

the allison is not the turbo 400 you had in your 80's K30. It is not like any other automatic, and it does not need to be treated as such.

ben

big thanks to...Eric @ Merchant Auto, Mike @ Inglewood Transmission, Guy @ SoCal Diesel, IdahoRob, Tim @ St. Joseph Diesel, RickDLance, McRat/team salad, BigDipper, Nathan @ MPI, Bobo/team twisted, Fingers, Tony @ RidgeRunner Diesel, EFILive
Old 05-22-2008, 09:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
FSTDMAX
Glow Plug

Thanks for the imput guys. Good point about the tire/wheel size. As for just leaving it alone and letting it lug I'm not to hot on that idea. Anytime that engine is lugging and and the boost is up is when the mileage takes a ****. I'm recalling a 400 mile round trip I made a couple weeks ago with a single axle enclosed bike trailer and one bike. Comming home we had a really good head wind and there was no way the truck was gonna pull in 6th efficiently. Usually when I pull though it's probably around 11,000 pounds with bobcat and trailer.
-O5 F350 6.0L-SOLD
-08 F350 6.4L-Didn't come in time
Old 05-22-2008, 10:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
DURAtotheMAX
Posting Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSTDMAX View Post
there was no way the truck was gonna pull in 6th efficiently..
so put the cruise control on and let it do its thing.

I dont know why no one beleives me. We need to stop trying to second guess these things. The dmax and allison are perfectly matched for eachother and this is what these trucks were designed to do. If you feel that you can make better decisions and handle things better than a state of the art 32 bit transmission computer then you should have bought a manual transmission, because shifting the allison manually and messing around with it will not help your mileage or towing efficency...

JMO!!

ben

big thanks to...Eric @ Merchant Auto, Mike @ Inglewood Transmission, Guy @ SoCal Diesel, IdahoRob, Tim @ St. Joseph Diesel, RickDLance, McRat/team salad, BigDipper, Nathan @ MPI, Bobo/team twisted, Fingers, Tony @ RidgeRunner Diesel, EFILive
Old 05-22-2008, 10:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Blk04HD
Diesel Champ

Put a tune in it and you will gain mileage and it will pull 6th gear all day long. EFI live is your friend...

MBRP 4 INCH TURBO BACK
EFI W/DSP5
TUNES BY NICK AT DURAMAXTUNER.COM
BCI COLD AIR INTAKE W/ AEM DRY FILTER
BUILT TRANNY BY SMOKIN DIESEL PERFORMANCE
(MIKE BODINE)
W/ML CONVERTER
MOTO METAL CHROME 955's W/305/65/17 DC CRUSHERS
PYOs W/285/75/16 NITTO TGs WINTER
COOTER TIE ROD SLEEVES/TRACTION BARS
ALL ON HEADLIGHT MOD
GOODMARK 2 INCH COWL HOOD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in