ok!! is everyone over the limit - Page 5 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2008, 11:24 PM   #41 (permalink)
big block 88
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Kansas Chapter DP Club Member

I am not over the limit of a 3500 dually. We are only talking fudging by a small amount. I tow maybe 300lbs over what the door says and I have upgraded my tires to handle it. If you have bent three axles and blown tires because your were over weight then you have alot to learn still. One axle or tire you should have learned your lesson but I see you dont learn. maybe you need a bigger truck.[/quote]

No I don't need a bigger truck, and if you ever use your truck to it's full potentail and then some **** is gonna break, or bend. But seein as we don't haul campers and other lightweight stuff, just steel and heavy equipment, there is a group of us called hot shotters, who haul what semi don't or won't so our trucks get beat on a little. I hope someday I will learn to haul plastic campers around but until then I will just pull the big heavy stuff the that the guys who don't want a scratch on there truck bed wont haul.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2008, 11:42 PM   #42 (permalink)
bo799
Diesel Nut

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

if you are breaking stuff then you need heavier equipment plain and simple. You are using your equipment in an un-safe manner if you are breaking it. You will probably harm me in my truck and plastic camper when your over loaded tires blow. I see now where the term hot shotter comes from. Buy something you can't bend and haul things safely.

1990 Silverado Ext Cab 4x4 53k miles
2007 Keystone Raptor 3612DS (live in it now)
2006 Honda TRX400EX (mine)
2006 Honda TRX250EX (girlfriends)
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2003 Suzuki SV650S (track duty)
2008 Seadoo Speedster 200 430hp
Old 06-09-2008, 12:14 AM   #43 (permalink)
turnpike
Diesel Champ

Sorry I didn't split 1st and 3rd party. Insurance companies will pay the liability (3rd party) fairly quick cause the government forces it, but they can and do get real picky on fixing our own vehicle. Drive drunk and they will refuse to fix the drivers vehicle, they fix the non owned vehicle, and all the thrid party stuff. Same would apply to over weight if insurance company wants to get picky.

'16 Chev 2500HD LTZ Z71, CC, Duramax, Allsion, 4wd, new Sept 2016, has factory fifth wheel prep so added a Curt hitch.

Traded off-'05 Chev, 2500HD, CC, SB, Duramax, Allison, 4WD, bought new April '05, sold at 179,400 miles, LBZ mouthpeice, Blocker Plate & Unplugged EGR, Air Box cut out, lost the cat, 52 US Gal (196 Litre) Titan Fuel Tank, SuperChips tuner reset to stock and retained, AirLift air bags, BrakeSmart Trailer Brake controller, PaceEdwards cover-replaced 2013, DSP Fifth Hitch, JVC KW-NT1 headunit, kept the"AutoEnginuity" scanner.

'02 GMC, 2500HD, CC, SB, D/A, 4wd, Traded in - wrong color
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #44 (permalink)
bo799
Diesel Nut

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

The insurance company can also sue you for what it had to pay in the accident. Yes they will cover the accident and if they have a case against you and it is worth it then they will go after you if you were over weight. I knew a guy that crashed a helicopter and the insurance company found out he lied about his flight time in that model. They sued him personnaly for the damages. I know that is not towing something but it shows they will sue you personnaly. Maybe aviation is different but I bet it is not. Insurance is insurance.

1990 Silverado Ext Cab 4x4 53k miles
2007 Keystone Raptor 3612DS (live in it now)
2006 Honda TRX400EX (mine)
2006 Honda TRX250EX (girlfriends)
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2003 Suzuki SV650S (track duty)
2008 Seadoo Speedster 200 430hp
Old 06-09-2008, 11:57 AM   #45 (permalink)
Chris_S
Professional Lurker

I have read about this topic on numerous boards. As far as Insurance Companies go, anytime you lie and falsify information they will find a way to recoup their costs. As far as being overweight, look around next time you are out and about. You will see overweight rigs out there. If you lie, they will come after you, but I have not met anyone who has ever been sued for being overweight by an Insurance Company. I did a search of a few legal sites that the lawyers use and found that folks have been sued because they were in an accident, but the weight was listed as a "Contributing Factor" and may have contributed to the injuries of a second party, non of which were Insurance Companies. The weight was not the primary factor in the collisions, and the Insurance Companies paid the claim on the behalf of the Insured.
I am sure if you knew, and the weight caused an unsafe operating condition, and was the primary collision factor, then you might be sued by your Insurer, but there is nothing on the sites that indicate this has ever happened. The primary causes in the majority of litigation I found were speed and/or intoxication. There were a few mechanical failures, but amazingly the manufacturers were also sued and paid. In this day and age you can sue for anything.
LT265/75-16 BFG Rigged Terrain T/A's
American Eagle 16x8 Series 102 Wheels
MBRP 4" Cat Back Exhaust
Reese 16K Signature Hitch

2001 Ford Excursion - Powerstroke - Sold
2002 Toyota Tundra - Sold
2006 Toyota 4Runner - Sold
2008 Jayco Eagle 299RLS 5th Wheel - Sold
2011 Tundra Crewmax

Last edited by Chris_S; 06-09-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:45 AM   #46 (permalink)
whiplash
Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_S View Post
I have read about this topic on numerous boards. As far as Insurance Companies go, anytime you lie and falsify information they will find a way to recoup their costs. As far as being overweight, look around next time you are out and about. You will see overweight rigs out there. If you lie, they will come after you, but I have not met anyone who has ever been sued for being overweight by an Insurance Company. I did a search of a few legal sites that the lawyers use and found that folks have been sued because they were in an accident, but the weight was listed as a "Contributing Factor" and may have contributed to the injuries of a second party, non of which were Insurance Companies. The weight was not the primary factor in the collisions, and the Insurance Companies paid the claim on the behalf of the Insured.
I am sure if you knew, and the weight caused an unsafe operating condition, and was the primary collision factor, then you might be sued by your Insurer, but there is nothing on the sites that indicate this has ever happened. The primary causes in the majority of litigation I found were speed and/or intoxication. There were a few mechanical failures, but amazingly the manufacturers were also sued and paid. In this day and age you can sue for anything.

Right, I feel if you are driving in a safe manner and the tow vehicle is set up to tow properly and you are not towing a earth mover behind a duramax, you will have no problems, not only that you won't have an accident where you are at fault! This solves the problem both ways, you don't get into the accident and if you do its not your fault and there is no issue! Simple and clean, I was simply stating according to the poster of that message, there are no "Laws" for being overweight and that the sticker is just there as a guideline and if you use common sense you will be fine towing 16-18000lbs of toyhauler or the like behind your rig.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:20 PM   #47 (permalink)
slaroque
Diesel Fanatic

I tow about 15,000 5er loaded behind my 2003 Duramax CC shortbox, and it handles it fine as long as I don't push it hard, I chug up hills around 2000 to 2500 rpm, I don't go over 65, ever, I downshift going down hills, I have airbags so the ride is level, and I have good E rated tires.

Also, in regards to the insurance campany, I would like to see how they are going to plan on weighing everything to determine if you are over weight in a bad accident, as most everything would be in chunks!! Drive smart and safe while towing and everthing should be fine. I see guys all the time pass me on the freeway doing 75 80 mpg with their big campers and I shake my head, they don't seem to think of the consequences of what can happen to them or other people if they get into an accident at that speed, or if the trailer blows a tire, not pretty.

Last edited by slaroque; 06-18-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #48 (permalink)
whiplash
Clutch

YUP! my sentiments exactly!!
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...ieselplace.jpg D-Maximus, unknown tune (Smoker!), 8" lift with 35's on Welds, cracked transfer case, pulls to the left and lovin it!! (coming soon) New bumper, transfer case, gauges, better tune, shift kit, 5" stack and 40' toyhauler!! WHOOT!!

Old 06-19-2008, 10:08 PM   #49 (permalink)
Balls2go
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoorng View Post
i bought a 2500 d-max thinking it will tow 16k ish legal. my book says it will tow 12k legal. its a 06 lly cc 4x4 i posted this on the towing section as well, but thought i would get more hits here. my gas tows 2k lbs less. why do i see almost every 2500 d-max towing 35-40ft trailers knowing its over the 12k lb limit. or am i missing something. not even the 3500 cc d-max will tow over 12k from what my book says. the most is 3500 ext cab drw at 16.3k
I pull around 25M trailer wieght fairly regular. I've got a dually but your truck can handle it with no problems.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in