ok!! is everyone over the limit - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2008, 10:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
BillB3857
Diesel Boss

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Not attempting to be a member of the weight police, but before I got my DMax, I had a Frd 250. Bought it new to tow with, followed their tow guide as both I and the RV dealer understood it, and then the trouble began. Severe front to back jerking while attempting to tow. RV dealer said many others were towing the same trailer with the same model truck with no problems. Took the problem to Frd and their answer was that I was 500 lbs over the GVWR of the truck and if I kept towing that trailer, they would void my warranty. To shorten the story, I traded the Frd with 4500 miles on it for the truck in my sig.

Trail-Air Pin Box,
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2008, 10:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lennox69
Diesel Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Lennox69

limit? limit is what you make it to be in order to carry you and your family to a safe destination, i don't give a red ant's *** what the manufacture says, they always write sh*t to protect warrant isues. so if you trust your horse than run how how you like!!!!!

(Died 5-19-2012 in head on clollision by a drunk driver)2007 classic crew cab,d/max/alli.,efi-live by socal , egr blocke/finger,transgo,afe2,no cat,running boards,custom wheels with toyos,fifth wheel hitch,banks 4" monster exhaust, jl audio,jl amps.

2004 crew cab,d/max/alli. afe2 intake,banks monster exhaust,edge juice with ***,polk speakers,reese fifth wheel hitch,custom wheels and tires,remote start,running bars,bullydog shift kit.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
turnpike
Diesel Champ

Towing Weight

To evoorng's post. I seem to remember seeing GM towing guide at a dealer, that said a 2500HD Duramax "Gross Combination Weight Rating" GCWR is 22,000 lbs. Load your truck to the max of 9,200 (the door plate rating) and then you would be ok with a 12,800 trailer. If the trailer has a 13,800 plaque on it, I would suggest to weight it rigged, loaded and ready to go. You would have to have all the tanks full of water, take all your 100s of pounds of tools, the generator, and three weeks of food stuffs to get to 13,800. On a 13.8 rated trailer I usually weight in at about 11,500.

The greater challenge is to get the pin weight light enough to keep the truck within it's weight rating. The truck limit is harder to meet, the axle limits seem to be good. The driver axle limit is about 6000 lbs if I remember correctly. Check the door plate on your truck. I'm usually at 6,000 on the drive axle, 4000 on the front, 800-1000 over on the truck total. Nothing a bit of air bags doesn't take care of. Don't get too light on the pin or the trailer will wonder all over the road.

Touch wood.........never seem a highway weight scale sign call in recreational vehicles. But if your in a accident only the operator (driver) gets charged for have an unsafe vehicle on a public road.

'16 Chev 2500HD LTZ Z71, CC, Duramax, Allsion, 4wd, new Sept 2016, has factory fifth wheel prep so added a Curt hitch.

Traded off-'05 Chev, 2500HD, CC, SB, Duramax, Allison, 4WD, bought new April '05, sold at 179,400 miles, LBZ mouthpeice, Blocker Plate & Unplugged EGR, Air Box cut out, lost the cat, 52 US Gal (196 Litre) Titan Fuel Tank, SuperChips tuner reset to stock and retained, AirLift air bags, BrakeSmart Trailer Brake controller, PaceEdwards cover-replaced 2013, DSP Fifth Hitch, JVC KW-NT1 headunit, kept the"AutoEnginuity" scanner.

'02 GMC, 2500HD, CC, SB, D/A, 4wd, Traded in - wrong color

Last edited by turnpike; 05-16-2008 at 12:34 AM. Reason: add detail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2008, 04:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
richard cheese
Diesel Guru

...16k on the 5ver...but make sure you get your non commercial class A if the 5vr your lookin at is a trip axle CHP is all over everyones ARSE with that right now muff hugga!!
2003 CHEVY CC D/A 4x4 SB ,AFE magnum flow stage 2 cold air intake w/ pre-filter, PPE boost valve, 4" catback magna flow exhaust, Sulastics, airbagged with firestone compressor and in-cab gauges, A pillar boost and EGT Autometer Z-Series, predator on 65, US Acoustic power, kicker components, kicker 10's behind the seat, 285/75/17's on Moto Metal 957's
vin# 1gchk23193f106526
prisoners rights is an oxymoron
"Bitch Please"....... Dick Cheese

Old 05-17-2008, 12:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
turnpike
Diesel Champ

You may want to check the drivers license requirements for your home state/province, and the state/province of registration of the truck and trailer. Many only need a car type drivers license, while others may base requirement on weight or length, or number of vehicles in the combination. I'm not sure if the minimum requirements of some states/provinces would be accepted in California when just visiting.

'16 Chev 2500HD LTZ Z71, CC, Duramax, Allsion, 4wd, new Sept 2016, has factory fifth wheel prep so added a Curt hitch.

Traded off-'05 Chev, 2500HD, CC, SB, Duramax, Allison, 4WD, bought new April '05, sold at 179,400 miles, LBZ mouthpeice, Blocker Plate & Unplugged EGR, Air Box cut out, lost the cat, 52 US Gal (196 Litre) Titan Fuel Tank, SuperChips tuner reset to stock and retained, AirLift air bags, BrakeSmart Trailer Brake controller, PaceEdwards cover-replaced 2013, DSP Fifth Hitch, JVC KW-NT1 headunit, kept the"AutoEnginuity" scanner.

'02 GMC, 2500HD, CC, SB, D/A, 4wd, Traded in - wrong color
Old 05-17-2008, 02:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
tinypeckerwood
Diesel Champ

The biggest thing I would watch for is your axle/tire weight limits. I drag around a 40' fiver that weighs 13k empty and dry. loaded and wet I can have 17.5k legal. And then there is the matter of the sea-doo's that I hook on the back of that. Fully loaded I am 26,000. But I am legal on all my axles and 3' short of being too long. And too long is over 75'. Its a heavy load, but all is well and I take my time. Its just the 7-9 mpg that hurts the most.
auto meter cobalt egt & boost gauges
straight 4" exhaust vortex bed liner sprayed by me
2007 tahoe gss3950 toy hauler
2010 FLHX Street Glide 103" Stage II
2004 dyna wide glide(SOLD)
2002 expedition(dog)
1968 chevy II
Proud Member
IUOE Local 12
HD Mechanic/Welder
Old 05-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #17 (permalink)
Bubbba
High Compression

Load it up ready for a trip. Full fuel and all. Then stop at a truck stop weigh station and find out what each axle load is. You'll have proof in writing and peace of mind with the family on board.
MBRP "cool duals" Nicktane
Full Synthetic Fluids,
Timbrens,Bilsteens
Limped

Next ..... Suncoast upgrade Done !!
Stage 4 with a 1056 .
Thanks "Timmy" @ St. Joe Diesel

F.A.S.S.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:24 AM   #18 (permalink)
big block 88
Diesel Head

Kansas Chapter DP Club Member

I always go by weight per axle not GVW or GCWR because my truck is an 88 1ton it's GVW is only 9200 pounds and the truck weighs more than that with the welder and flatbed and a full tank. I am more worried about bendinig that old dana 70 than I am of anything else, and breaking the rear sping perches off the frame has been a problem for me I have had to weld then mount back on the factory rivits couldn't handle what the rest of the truck could. I just drive as safe as possible. Hopefully no-one readinig this has seen "HOW TO BREAK A TRUCK" in truck uses because that is what happens when you are overloaded bad and then throw a temper tantrem you just have to respect your load and let your truck do it's thing.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
01Duramax6spd
Diesel Guru

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Don't worry about that D70HD. I asume you're refering to an old style 88 1ton? We have one with a lengthened frame,14' flatbed and it almost daily hauls 4500-5000lbs around the ranch,all winter long. Haven't bent or broken anything from the cab back,just ahead of the cab .

Quote:
Originally Posted by big block 88 View Post
I always go by weight per axle not GVW or GCWR because my truck is an 88 1ton it's GVW is only 9200 pounds and the truck weighs more than that with the welder and flatbed and a full tank. I am more worried about bendinig that old dana 70 than I am of anything else, and breaking the rear sping perches off the frame has been a problem for me I have had to weld then mount back on the factory rivits couldn't handle what the rest of the truck could. I just drive as safe as possible. Hopefully no-one readinig this has seen "HOW TO BREAK A TRUCK" in truck uses because that is what happens when you are overloaded bad and then throw a temper tantrem you just have to respect your load and let your truck do it's thing.
13 3500 crew cab long bed LML

Buy U.S. grown beef and tire tanks
Old 05-26-2008, 10:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
Loader
Diesel Head

DelMarVa Diesel Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

I tow a 34' 5er that is 10,000 lbs dry. I asked the dealer about limits. They looked out at my truck and laughed. They thought it funny that I was worried about overloading anything when I had a Duramax sitting outside.

I've not had any trouble in a year of use, so I guess all is well.

2004.5 2500HD LS 4x4 Snow Package LLY Duramax/Allison - LBZ mouthpiece with resonator blocked, S&B LBZ CAI; EGR blocked and Fingered; PCV reroute; Banks Power PDA, Monster Exhaust; AMSOIL dual remote bypass filters; AirDog II 165; Big Dipper Allison build with Deep Pan; Mike L. Trans Cooler; power steering cooler; 1-ton rear leaves; RANCHO 4" lift with pre-runner skid plate and 9000x-Pro remote reservoir shocks and steering stabilizer; COGNITO steering supports and tie rods; 315's on Chrome H2 wheels; Hammerhead pre-runner front bumper with 12,000lb winch; Viair air compressor and tank; all LED lighting and projector headlights; Rhino exterior coating for rock protection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in