Will's Bug Out Rig: Duramax Van - Page 3 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Vans
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Vans Discuss topics specific to vans equipped with a GM diesel engine.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2020, 08:54 AM   #21 (permalink)
VIOL8TOR
Self Ignition

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideofWill View Post
The cruise works fine just from installing the switch.

Anyone ever used SnapLocs and/or E-track? I discovered that and it looks really cool for cargo tie downs.

https://snaploc.com/snaplocs/
I have four rows of recessed e track in my trailer... Very convenient...

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2020, 09:03 AM   #22 (permalink)
VIOL8TOR
Self Ignition

Quote:
Also:
I have a Curt 15320 Class V hitch on the way, although it's out of stock at e-trailer but expected to be back in stock week after next.

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/15320

I have a Draw-Tite 65016 front hitch on the way as well. It's listed for vans up to '03, but I decided to risk it for my '06. Does anyone know what the differences are that might limit front hitch installation?

https://www.drawtite-hitches.com/pro...er_Hitch,65016
If that doesn't work you can get some square/rectangle stock and make your own with this...https://www.drawtite-hitches.com/pro..._Tube,PFC-1225

Old 02-20-2020, 09:16 AM   #23 (permalink)
DarkSideofWill
Diesel Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIOL8TOR View Post
If that doesn't work you can get some square/rectangle stock and make your own with this...https://www.drawtite-hitches.com/pro..._Tube,PFC-1225
I'm actually replacing the class 1 receiver on the hitch for my 2005 Benz with a class 3 receiver so all of my/my dad's vehicles use the same draw bar/ball mount.
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2020, 11:04 AM   #24 (permalink)
DarkSideofWill
Diesel Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCAC_Man View Post
yes to both of those and those are the (only) two easy problems to solve...don't go down this path.
Never one to take good advice, I'm breezing through your build thread...

Quote:
And of course the bigger concern was if the combination of 2dg of extra down slope in the drivetrain and a 1" body lift would clear the Allison...and it did...with plenty of room to spare so I should have good air flow all around and no hotspots or rattling from rubbing on the bottom of the floor boards...closest spot is about 7/8" clearance.

Was this photo taken looking forward from the transfer case? Is the Allison's large rear flange directly under that body crossmember, or is it forward/aft?

Last edited by DarkSideofWill; 03-04-2020 at 11:06 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2020, 11:18 AM   #25 (permalink)
DarkSideofWill
Diesel Student

Quote:
It's freshly rebuilt with a billet wheel. I did that right after I bought it when I was still planning to do a Duraburb. I also pulled and cleaned the intake bridge and air horn, installed the LMM driver side exhaust manifold, installed new front and rear main seals, installed a new water pump. The trans got a new LML torque converter, deep pan and a Transgo Jr kit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopSpecialties View Post
Here is a turbo sock I installed when I rebuilt mine. It does a far better job than that metal heat shield.
https://turbo-performance-products.m...max-turbo-sock
Quote:

factory power steering cooler from the earlier models that Art mentioned is a bolt in part, I cut the return hose and added some AN fittings so that I have an easy way to drain/flush but that was just my preference. I'll just return the derale cooler I bought.

Taking notes for later...

Last edited by DarkSideofWill; 03-04-2020 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:56 AM   #26 (permalink)
DarkSideofWill
Diesel Student

Quote:
Time to see just how much is going to be required to make it all fit...notice the clownishly large Duramax cover compared to it's little brother..
The driver-side upper and side sections of the floor are fine and will stay as is, I'll have to splice in the rest.
At least they left the space on the passenger side alone and didn't mount anything in the way.
https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum...ad.php?t=74588

More notes

Last edited by DarkSideofWill; 03-04-2020 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:13 PM   #27 (permalink)
DarkSideofWill
Diesel Student

Quote:
So I made some progress on the larger engine access opening...not something I'd recommend for a "new to car projects" guy...or...really any guy at all.

This is a PITA and unless you absolutely won't buy a van with either a diesel or big block opening then just stay away from this. I've obviously still have a ways to go but getting this upper forward portion grafted in without removing the cowl vent structure was the most difficult of the project and it had to be done first to get the location for the rest of it right.
Quote:
Initially I wanted to try and keep it in one piece, but, after looking at how it is many layers of formed panels there was just now way to to that. I'll be on travel for work the rest of the week so I'll tackle getting the rear section in next weekend. You can really see with this how dramatic the passenger side offset is with the larger cover.

Quote:
Girlfriend has been House/Cat-sitting for a friend so another guilt free day of work today...body mounts and floor supports all tied into the engine access combing. Still a bit of finish work to do but all the major structural stuff is done on this. This is just tedious work, there are no straight or square reference points, all the metal shapes are contours and all going different directions so you just have to fit and form as you go.
Also sold my old chassis so I picked up 22ft of workspace which was worth more to me than the money from the sale..
The photos didn't copy over, but these posts are really illuminating in terms of what the differences are between the standard and diesel (or big block?) bodies. I had no idea there was so much difference. This ALSO explains why the powertrain was offset to the passenger side significantly. GM couldn't grow the doghouse any further into the driver's footwell because they had to keep space for the pedals, so they grew it into the passenger's footwell and offset the powertrain to stay centered in the doghouse. Wild.

Last edited by DarkSideofWill; 03-04-2020 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:52 PM   #28 (permalink)
LCAC_Man
Diesel Nut

Quote:
Never one to take good advice, I'm breezing through your build thread...

Was this photo taken looking forward from the transfer case? Is the Allison's large rear flange directly under that body crossmember, or is it forward/aft?
it's right under it, if not for the 1.25" body lift it would have been hard on it

1976 FMC2900r LBZ/Allison Photo Album
2000 Express 15 Pass. HighTop
Old 03-05-2020, 07:54 PM   #29 (permalink)
LCAC_Man
Diesel Nut

Quote:
I think Brooks (the engineers) threw in the towel...he bought an AWD express and I haven't heard back from him since..

Old 03-05-2020, 07:56 PM   #30 (permalink)
LCAC_Man
Diesel Nut

Quote:
The photos didn't copy over, but these posts are really illuminating in terms of what the differences are between the standard and diesel (or big block?) bodies. I had no idea there was so much difference. This ALSO explains why the powertrain was offset to the passenger side significantly. GM couldn't grow the doghouse any further into the driver's footwell because they had to keep space for the pedals, so they grew it into the passenger's footwell and offset the powertrain to stay centered in the doghouse. Wild.
yes to all that...it's a metric ****-ton of work to make this change..

Last edited by LCAC_Man; 03-05-2020 at 07:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in