K08 fuel-operated heater - Troubleshooting - Page 4 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Vans
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Vans Discuss topics specific to vans equipped with a GM diesel engine.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2019, 03:26 AM   #31 (permalink)
turboawd
Diesel Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopSpecialties View Post
There are literally tens of thousands of these mounted under semis with millions of miles on them. They are not cheap even through Espar but maybe check the truck shops.
Well, semis don't sit long enough to corrode!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopSpecialties View Post
I punched in part# 19130016 and found prices in the $600-800 range.
Is that the right part number? Some sites say that's only 2.8l diesels.

Advertisement

Old 11-20-2019, 05:36 AM   #32 (permalink)
MrGoods
Block Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by artementy View Post
Blower motor is part of the heater assembly and that's controlled by the data bus. You'll need to take it off the van and disassemble and try to figure that out.

I have up to this day never understood why K08 existed. Why only in vans, why was it never offered on trucks? And the vans are always behind in technology on everything. No other diesel trucks come with it. Why only proprietary controls? Only the computer can turn it on during very cold starts, and makes warming up the engine faster.
I've thought about this myself, I have a few theories. First it's worth mentioning that GM was far from the "first" or breaking any new ground with this setup. The heater is an Eberspacher D5WZ, Mercedes put them on quite a few diesel vans and other vehicles (primarily in Europe), Ford has done that abroad as well.

So, my first thought is that GM wanted to see if this is a feature that people would order/wanted, and two how it would stand up to daily abuse in fleet type environments. 2006 was the first year this was offered and the cutaway and van brochures from that year specifically mention the FOH feature and that it's an option offered "first in its class". Had it been deemed successful they'd offer it across the line? Was it successful? I have no clue

My second thought, and I think this is more likely the case... these vans are a pain to keep warm/get decent heat out of when they're not under a big load and temps drop below 20. Last year I was taking a motorcycle across the top of NY and at 1am I was near Buffalo when temps dipped down to 12-15F. It was early December so my grill cover wasn't on yet and I ended up having to make-shift one at a rest area because it wouldn't stay warm cruising along at 75 with such a light load. The engine is de-tuned, and there's a TON of grill space, so it's no wonder this issue exists. I'd be willing to bet that the customers that purchased diesel vans even in fleet situations were complaining/having issues with the heat not being sufficient. Throwing the D5WZ on made sure that'd be a non-issue and it's a simple fix.

NOW, as far as the controller and why they didn't allow manual override, again I'll point to fleet usage as a likely reason, or like my first thought they had bigger plans for hydro diesel heaters and this was a test platform...

It's pretty interesting to me as well... like, why go the direction they did with it?! They could've gone so many other ways and executed it so many different ways. It's baffling, for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
I just plugged in the module off the heater and now I don't get all the dash lights on and tcm and glow plug communications lost codes.
Do I need a jumper plug if I keep this heater out? Or do I need to program it out?
Or anyone know a source for a new heater at a reasonable price? I will not pay 1200 that GM wants.
Here's one from Diesel Redemption for $225 that appears in decent shape.

Or this one in Germany on ebay that's in even better shape for $350ish - This one might require some parts-swapping/modification of connectors as it's a D5WZ off a Mercedes, I'm sure GM had a few plugs that were proprietary.

You will need a reflash to disable the FOH/K08 option, who knows what other diagnostic checks are tied into that/why it goes as nuts as it does. Jumping wires is unlikely to work, I'm pretty sure it's looking for something more specific. If you don't mind taking your van down for 7-10 days I can get it reflashed for you locally, a friend specializes in GM control module diagnostics and reflashing/modifying (he travels to indy shops in the area and helps them out) I could likely rectify that for you. But, and this is just my opinion, is it really worth worrying about?

I installed a chinese diesel air heater in my van (much the same as was discussed on pages 1-2) and tapped into the fuel line for the factory heater, left it where it was with fuel and coolant disconnected... never had any issues. Seems like the easy thing to do would be leave the controller plugged in and not touch it.

Quote:
Well, semis don't sit long enough to corrode!

Is that the right part number? Some sites say that's only 2.8l diesels.
It is, they're all going to be a flavor/version of the D5WZ, which is the case for every OEM non-industrial application I've seen for a hydro diesel heater.

Old 11-20-2019, 10:15 AM   #33 (permalink)
turboawd
Diesel Nut

I see a local yard selling a used heater for 200. Or I'll just clean up mine and see what happens.
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2019, 01:06 PM   #34 (permalink)
artementy
Glow Plug

SoCal Diesel Trucks Member

Quote:
Do I need a jumper plug if I keep this heater out? Or do I need to program it out?
Jumper plug p/n is 25828205 $11. There's no pic online but it's basically a pigtail with 2 looped wires. You can jump the two GM LAN wires together and achieve the same result. Duramax vans without the K08 option come with this plug from the factory.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:12 PM   #35 (permalink)
turboawd
Diesel Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by artementy View Post
Quote:
Jumper plug p/n is 25828205 $11. There's no pic online but it's basically a pigtail with 2 looped wires. You can jump the two GM LAN wires together and achieve the same result. Duramax vans without the K08 option come with this plug from the factory.
Hey thanks a lot for that. That's what I figured was needed. Some kind of loop wiring. Ordered it for I need to remove the heater.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:21 AM   #36 (permalink)
turboawd
Diesel Nut

I ended up driving to get the heater from diesel redemption. I installed it tonight. I also put in shutoff valves on the coolant lines, so I can turn them shut next time I need to remove the heater. Because otherwise you'll get a flow of coolant that doesn't stop.
Not cold enough to turn on tonight. And I don't have my tech 2 yet to manually turn it on.
The only thing I was wondering is if the fuel line needs the air bleeded somehow?
Old 11-23-2019, 12:19 AM   #37 (permalink)
turboawd
Diesel Nut

Ok. Took me a few minutes to figure the gm tech 2, but I got in and primed the pump. Then commanded it on. There was a smoke show and no flame. Then after several tries i had a flame and it stays on. Diesel dripped out of r heater the first few times. Perhaps the fuel in the lines was bad from not running for a few years. Now to see if it turns on automatically.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:57 PM   #38 (permalink)
turboawd
Diesel Nut

I can command the heater to come on manually with the tech 2, but it won't come on by itself automatically. Today the van high idled itself to warm up.
Looking at the tech 2 data, I see that 'ignition 1 signal' is 0v on the heater data, but it's at 14.5v on the engine data. The ignition 1 signal goes to 5.5v if i manually turn it on. Does that seem right?

And 'system high voltage' goes to on, when heater is manually turned on.
'system low voltage' always says off.
You guys see anything else in the data that doesn't look right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1202191834_1575333992577.jpg (23.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 1202191834a_1575334004437.jpg (20.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 1202191834b_1575334015788.jpg (16.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 1202191840_1575334064745.jpg (29.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 12-02-2019, 10:22 PM   #39 (permalink)
turboawd
Diesel Nut

Ok. I unplugged the tech 2 and went somewhere. Get there and I notice the heater is actually on. Does the heater not turn on if the tech 2 is connected? Weird.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in