Request permission to join the dually club - Page 56 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > 3500 Dually Trucks
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

3500 Dually Trucks Discuss topics and issues related specifically to 3500 Dually GM trucks. Please keep engine and drivetrain topics out of this forum and in their appropriate forums.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree462Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2015, 11:14 PM   #551 (permalink)
TiredFarmer
Gone but not forgotten member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Half way to the 10.

2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT
Member #1063 3500 Dually Club
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2016, 09:05 PM   #552 (permalink)
Crazyxxxinsane
My 6.5 scared a prius

Send a message via Yahoo to Crazyxxxinsane

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Badger State Diesel Club Member

well just thought i would give a go and request to join the dually club! here is my new (to me) toy that im all ecstatic over!
1998 GMC Sierra ECLB Dually

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dually 1 of 6.JPG (96.7 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg dually 5 of 6.JPG (90.9 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg dually 6 of 6.JPG (84.3 KB, 92 views)
1995 Chevrolet K1500 4x4 ECSB - 230,xxx Miles - New PMD and Relocation kit - Custom 3" bent down pipe and cross over -Pillar Gauge Pod -Rancho Steering Stabilizer HX40W Turbo -New Harmonic Balancer - 8k HID headlights -"Buddy Chip" - OPS/LP Relay kit installed - New Heavy rear coil over shocks - new glow plugs -"F" Style intake - EGR Delete
1994 Chevrolet K1500 Reg Cab Long Box - Gifted to my father for a surprise
1998 GMC ECLB Dually. 203K Miles-PMD relocate-new IP last year-glow plugs-New Brakes all around-Running board lights-customized FFM relocate-rebuilt injectors-Diamond Eye Exhaust
Proud member #1097 of the 3500 Dually Club
Proud member of the
Old SOB's Club
Old 02-03-2016, 10:24 PM   #553 (permalink)
brad05
Gear Grinder

Sign Me Up!!

Please sign me up!!! This is my very first dually and so far I love it! 2016 GMC 3500HD.... Will have some better pics in the near future....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMC Truck.JPG (121.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg GMC Truck 2.JPG (149.7 KB, 63 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2016, 11:24 PM   #554 (permalink)
floriduramax1
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I have been on the site for a while as a 2500 owner and now requesting to be be a Dually Club member!!! Here she is 2016 High Country with a fresh new Opti-Coat, 3M clear bra and detail, tinted, dual AFE Stainless exhaust, PPEI, nav and DVD bypass and more at 3 weeks old! Thanks for the opportunity!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1454556256216.jpg (32.0 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by floriduramax1; 02-03-2016 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:50 AM   #555 (permalink)
Art4med
Glow Plug

Hmnn. Yes, my new ride is a 1996 K3500 dually 4x4 (former ambulance): 6.5L turbodiesel at GVWR 12000. If this counts, sign me up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image_1454651380739.jpeg (245.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-05-2016, 11:57 AM   #556 (permalink)
6686L
Diesel Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExotixTransport View Post
My 3500 Dually is my best friend. It is my life. ............. My 3500 Dually is human, even as I, because it is my life. ........... I will learn its weaknesses,...
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Sounds to me like this guy ought to discover something even more fun, even more intense - G-I-R-L-S !

I do agree with one point in his a bit dramatic enjoyment of his - the question of WEAKNESS !

I am a bit disappointed with one aspect - the question of limited cooling capacity. Let me explain.

I make trips back and forth between the high-country of northern Arizona in the cooler months to So. Calif., and during the summer months, to the water playgrounds. These trips involve pulling three axle trailers running around 13,000 lbs.

When I had my V-10 Ford Excursion, it would pull the notorious "Needles Grades" even in over 110 degree temp, without the water or transmission temp. gauges getting excited.

With my 2005 3500 "dualie" ( Duramax and Allison BONE STOCK) I have to go to part-throttle and under 1,800 rpm in order to avoid "over-temp" situations.

Seems to me at this late stage in automotive engineering history, heavy duty vehicles should have adequate cooling systems with plenty of reserve.

Going thru all these posts in this forum, it is clear that there is a problem, with various solutions.

One solution I did not see discussed, is the phenomena of how hot my floor-boards get on the passenger side. Clearly, that "cat" in front of the muffler is radiating an incredible amount of heat.

I do NOT want to run into situations where the truck's computers "sense" something and start screwing me up.

Has anyone in here tried what seems to me to be a significant source of back-pressure & over-heating - i.e. REMOVING THE CAT ( I see that one supplier who I am not familiar with - "Kennedy Diesel" advertises what appears to be a "drop in" replacement for the "front-pipe & CAT assembly" for under two hundred bucks. ).

So - that's my question - would removing the CAT only, leaving my 3500 Duramax-Allison otherwise bone-stock, increase my cooling system margins? Would the computer "sense" the reduced "back-pressure" and screw me up ?
2013 Chev. 3500 Duramax/Allison crew cab pick up 80K miles at purchase. ( June 2018 ) White in color. Bone-stock except for air shocks in rear (to compensate for removing one rear spring from the spring-pack to give a decent ride on those occasions when not towing heavy loads ! ). Added small winch in pick-up bed to help load our jet ski up its ramp. Normal use is towing approx. 11,000 lb. trailers ( our Bayliner on its 3 axle, or my '38 Packard V-12 in its "box" trailer. Air box modified to accept a cabin air filter the system was obviously originally designed for!
Old 02-05-2016, 01:03 PM   #557 (permalink)
TiredFarmer
Gone but not forgotten member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6686L View Post
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Sounds to me like this guy ought to discover something even more fun, even more intense - G-I-R-L-S !

I do agree with one point in his a bit dramatic enjoyment of his - the question of WEAKNESS !

I am a bit disappointed with one aspect - the question of limited cooling capacity. Let me explain.

I make trips back and forth between the high-country of northern Arizona in the cooler months to So. Calif., and during the summer months, to the water playgrounds. These trips involve pulling three axle trailers running around 13,000 lbs.

When I had my V-10 Ford Excursion, it would pull the notorious "Needles Grades" even in over 110 degree temp, without the water or transmission temp. gauges getting excited.

With my 2005 3500 "dualie" ( Duramax and Allison BONE STOCK) I have to go to part-throttle and under 1,800 rpm in order to avoid "over-temp" situations.

Seems to me at this late stage in automotive engineering history, heavy duty vehicles should have adequate cooling systems with plenty of reserve.

Going thru all these posts in this forum, it is clear that there is a problem, with various solutions.

One solution I did not see discussed, is the phenomena of how hot my floor-boards get on the passenger side. Clearly, that "cat" in front of the muffler is radiating an incredible amount of heat.

I do NOT want to run into situations where the truck's computers "sense" something and start screwing me up.

Has anyone in here tried what seems to me to be a significant source of back-pressure & over-heating - i.e. REMOVING THE CAT ( I see that one supplier who I am not familiar with - "Kennedy Diesel" advertises what appears to be a "drop in" replacement for the "front-pipe & CAT assembly" for under two hundred bucks. ).

So - that's my question - would removing the CAT only, leaving my 3500 Duramax-Allison otherwise bone-stock, increase my cooling system margins? Would the computer "sense" the reduced "back-pressure" and screw me up ?
The 2005 models (LLY) due to a design flaw, had a significant lack of cooling, unlike previous or later iterations of the duramax. Deleting the cat would provide a freer flowing exhaust, but not much effect on temp drops. Kennedy Diesel is a well respected vendor here, and they provide good knowledge - not just here to sell stuff. Keeping cooling stack cleaned is big issue with these trucks. My LLY got warm, but never overheated before I sold it. The 2008 (LMM) I have now pulls same loads with much better ease and cooler temps than the LLY did.
2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT
Member #1063 3500 Dually Club
Old 02-05-2016, 01:22 PM   #558 (permalink)
bigmackmiller
Diesel Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to bigmackmiller

INDP Member

Lbz mouthpiece will help your cooling issues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2016, 05:17 PM   #559 (permalink)
6686L
Diesel Starter

[QUOTE=TiredFarmer; . . . . . . Kennedy Diesel is a well respected vendor here, and they provide good knowledge - not just here to sell stuff. Keeping cooling stack cleaned is big issue with these trucks. . . . . .[/QUOTE]

+ + + + + + +

Thanks for the posts - my knowledge of diesels is quite limited, so this is one hell of a valuable forum !

Yes - was very impressed with KENNEDY - I phoned them, spoke to this "John" fellow. He was incredibly patient - took considerable time to try and help me out with some info.

Here's something I found interesting ( I have some degree of knowledge and experience with "spark ignition" motors...practically nothing on "compression ignition" ones.

Kennedy tells me that with their computer pack, I can "re-time" my LLY. I had no idea that "timing" the injectors had very much the same effect on a diesel as advancing the spark on a spark-ignition motor. (for those of you who do not know, the smog regs. require mfg's to "time" their motors so that they run "late" - meaning, they waste a lot of energy that would otherwise be utilized as mechanical energy, but gets blown out the exhaust as wasted heat energy to comply with smog regs.).

Pretty obviously, "advancing" the timing (again, on either a diesel or a gasoline motor) is going to make it run better, more efficiently, and cooler.

So thanks again for the "steer" to this "Kennedy" outfit - I have seen their ads in the past - had NO idea the guy is that eager to help those of us who are not well-informed on diesels.

As a side-note, I am not a "young-un" - so you guys will have to be patient with me - I am not "up" on how you folks have mangled American-English.

For example, I did not know that the term "cooling stack" applies to what in my generation we called the "radiator".

The term "rims" also confused me. I did not know that when you kids say the word "rims"...you actually mean WHEELS.

Let me explain. In the early days of autos and trucks, rims were separate from the wheels themselves. At some point in the early 1930's, on a pretty-much industry wide basis, we went to what we call "drop center" wheels - the wheel and the rim of course were stamped out separately, but welded into one pice.

That is why my generation knows that when we say "wheel"...we mean both the wheel itself, and the rim. I am not aware of any wheels made in the past 50-70 years that have a detachable "rim' - that is what thru me off.
2013 Chev. 3500 Duramax/Allison crew cab pick up 80K miles at purchase. ( June 2018 ) White in color. Bone-stock except for air shocks in rear (to compensate for removing one rear spring from the spring-pack to give a decent ride on those occasions when not towing heavy loads ! ). Added small winch in pick-up bed to help load our jet ski up its ramp. Normal use is towing approx. 11,000 lb. trailers ( our Bayliner on its 3 axle, or my '38 Packard V-12 in its "box" trailer. Air box modified to accept a cabin air filter the system was obviously originally designed for!
Old 02-05-2016, 05:47 PM   #560 (permalink)
Art4med
Glow Plug

"Sounds to me like this guy ought to discover something even more fun, even more intense G-I-R-L-S!"
---

Hi, 6686L:
I've never served in the Armed Forces, but I DO recognize his "rifle" reference.
He's clever, committed-- and funny.
Shows how we are each All-IN with this 65L 3500!

Last edited by Art4med; 02-05-2016 at 05:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in