OK...I just have to post this about Dually rear tires - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > 3500 Dually Trucks
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

3500 Dually Trucks Discuss topics and issues related specifically to 3500 Dually GM trucks. Please keep engine and drivetrain topics out of this forum and in their appropriate forums.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2007, 12:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Duramax Dually
Diesel Boss

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

OK...I just have to post this about Dually rear tires

I Know that there has been endless debates and discussions about tires for the rear of our Dually's. I just had to make this post after what I saw today as I got my truck aligned.

So there was a Gas 2002 K3500 Dually getting some new hides. This guy had 265 tires all the way around. No rear spacers. The tires were in physical contact with each other as they put it on the rack. So I was talking with the guy about how long had he had those tires on and I went onto discuss the rubbing issue and he said I have 3 Dually's. All have same tires, All 3 trucks have a combined 450K miles. He hauls everything and from the look of the truck I could not argue the point. I said "Aren't you worried about heat induced blowouts and so on from the constant rubbing?"......he laughed, said that is silly. He said, very politely, that he has heard that talk before years ago and no where has it ever been written that this is a problem. He asked me if I have ever read it? strangely enough...he is right. I have never seen a publication that states this is wrong and dangerous. Of course best common sense says it is not right.

So here is the question, Has anyone read, seen have a copy of any "Official" document that states this to be a risk to tire damage?. I can honestly say in my 15 year plus of dually ownership I have never readabout, witnessed or seen a tire blowout from tires rubbing.

Anyway I thought I would post this as it goes against all what is talked about here. Now...Please do not come on here and call that guy names. He was a pretty sharp fella. He just choses not to believe the hype. BTW...the tires were in excellent shape when removed from the back of the truck. He had 33K miles on them.....Makes you go.....

2001 K3500 Duramax/Allison CC LB Dually, Victory Red,Reunel Frontend replacement, Warn M15000 Winch,Cognito HD Level kit with dual Bilstein shocks, Alcoa Magum wheels with Bridgestone Revo P235/85's,TFI 56 gal Midship,Nicktane, Merchant Transfer case upgrade

NorthStar 850 SC camper.

Member #15 of the 3500 Dually Club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2007, 12:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
astieg
Diesel Boss

Good point! I'll be watching, need new rubber like last year....

01' 4XCCLB dooly, SCIV/1056/Cooler/C3-oiler by M.L., T-brace, Banks, 6 gunner/speed loader, Big Head, pyro, boost, and oil temp gauges on the pillar, K&N, AirAid, Intake Horn Mod, BD manifold, 4' pro-flow exahaust, TTT Mirrors, mag-hytec T-Pan/rear diff. cover, G-5 Clifford alarm/auto start, High Idle, front hitch, custom head 'ache' rack 2" sch-80!, Hadley Horns. Member #573 of The 3500 D/C!, #1 C.L.O., #1 Pillow Tag Remover.
"Never argue with an Idiot ! They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2007, 12:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
kaotik
Diesel Fanatic

that will make a few ppl think a lil bit

2006 Grand Junction 33 ft Fifth Wheel camper ~ Made by Thor ~3 Slides.

Member #458 3500 Dually Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2007, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Duramax Dually
Diesel Boss

I just want to emphasis, I am not saying I agree or disagree with his thought process on the tires, I just wanted to post this to open up the question, "Is there an official written rule about this?" I think alot of us would like to read about it. I went to numerous dually sites, Tire/wheel distributors and none of them state anything anywhere about it. However if you call a tire place they "Say" well we have been told it is not a good idea.....When you ask who "Told" them, they do not know.... When you ask if they have ever seen a blow out back from tires rubbing, they have all answered NO.....

As an owner of duallys since 1993, I guess I would like to have this be somewhat official for all of us. I personally will never have my tires touch as a general rule, however I will not be afraid to have them bump from time to time if I have a big load on. I think you are safer having this happen than adding any spacer. This is just my opinion. Either you get wheels made to offer the proper offset or run suitable tires.

But hey what do I know, I am just a consumer like the rest of us.
2001 K3500 Duramax/Allison CC LB Dually, Victory Red,Reunel Frontend replacement, Warn M15000 Winch,Cognito HD Level kit with dual Bilstein shocks, Alcoa Magum wheels with Bridgestone Revo P235/85's,TFI 56 gal Midship,Nicktane, Merchant Transfer case upgrade

NorthStar 850 SC camper.

Member #15 of the 3500 Dually Club.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
catch2otwo
Diesel Champ

Send a message via AIM to catch2otwo

well using common sense, one would think that two tires rubbing on each other cannot be a good thing. unless there is some magic that happens with dually tires, anything coming in contact with something else will be subject to friction. add to that load changes, road conditions, weather conditions, rubber compounds, lateral stresses, etc and your only decreasing the longevity of the tires. whether or not these things will decrease the life of the tire by much is unknown. i dont drive a dually so i wouldnt know, but i think its a good idea for them not to touch.
day cab#50

1999 Dodge
Old 08-17-2007, 10:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
WHTDMAX06
Diesel Boss

i think of it like this what about an inner tube in a tire they are touching but never rub thru each other i think it may be the same idea. there really arent any forces "rubbing" them.

Over 1/4 million miles and counting!
Old 08-17-2007, 10:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
admorris
Heat Sink

Keep in mind that the tires are theoretically turning at the same rpm's...so there really isn't much friction between the two tires in the back. Obviously when you turn fairly sharp, the outside tire may turn a little more, but basically they are just riding side by side up against each other.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
dwj
Diesel Apprentice

Thats a good one. I guess I really have not seen anything in writing, but I don't think I would be comfortable hooking up 10,000-15,000lb trailer seeing my rear tires squat together and hopping in and heading down the highway. Maybe I'm just a girly man. Anybody else running tires that touch?
Chevy Classic 2007 / 3500 crew cab dually / LT3 / / 4x4 / Silver charcoal interior / Airaid cold air intake/ Mbrp 4" catback exhaust 5" tip/ Super chip 2805 /Color matched pillar with Autometer Ultralite pyro & boost gauges / Vector 2000 Watt power inverter(under rear seat)Phoenix DOT Wheel sims /Magellan gps

DUALLY CLUB MEMBER # 438

1975/1985/1995--6.5 Tubro diesel HD /
2005 crew 2500HD/ Duramax / Lt3 / 2wheel drive / short bed (broke the 10 year rule when I needed DRW) lot a years driving Chevys
Old 08-18-2007, 12:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
sherr20
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

admorris, come on bud, think about it, the outside tire on a dually travels the same speed as the inner tire; they are bolted together!! So they are always doing the same speed.
Dually Club Member #395
2007 GMC classic D/A 3500 Dually 4x4, Mag-Hytec Diff cover, Kenwood DNX5120 DVD/NAV unit
2006 Grand Junction 35TMS 5th Wheel 39'8" long 15,500 pounds
2006 VW Jetta TDI
2009 AUDI Q7 TDI 24.5 mpg average so far with 3500 miles logged, awesome for a 5500 lbs vehicle that flat moves!!
1959 Austin Healey Bug Eye Sprite
2003 New Holland TC30 4x4 diesel tractor
2003 Yamaha FX140 Waverunner

Old 08-18-2007, 01:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
astieg
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherr20;1947986;
admorris, come on bud, think about it, the outside tire on a dually travels the same speed as the inner tire; they are bolted together!! So they are always doing the same speed.
So technically if they do touch it is not considered a 'rub' more of a 'fondle'

01' 4XCCLB dooly, SCIV/1056/Cooler/C3-oiler by M.L., T-brace, Banks, 6 gunner/speed loader, Big Head, pyro, boost, and oil temp gauges on the pillar, K&N, AirAid, Intake Horn Mod, BD manifold, 4' pro-flow exahaust, TTT Mirrors, mag-hytec T-Pan/rear diff. cover, G-5 Clifford alarm/auto start, High Idle, front hitch, custom head 'ache' rack 2" sch-80!, Hadley Horns. Member #573 of The 3500 D/C!, #1 C.L.O., #1 Pillow Tag Remover.
"Never argue with an Idiot ! They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Last edited by astieg; 08-18-2007 at 01:12 AM. Reason: .....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in