Question: Hydro booster leaking? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
 
Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010 Discuss front and rear axle, transfer case, brakes, etc. Transmission questions belong in the appropriate transmission forum below. First through fourth generation...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2020, 10:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
jackssw
Heat Sink
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 14
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Hydro booster leaking?

I have a 2006 LBZ. My brakes have gotten pretty spongy over time, so I pop the hood to find a signs of a leak around the master cylinder and hydro booster. Both the master cylinder and the hydrobooster's exterior have a fair amount of grease/grime built up on them.

When I checked the levels of the power steering fluid - it's right on the money. However, the brake fluid reservoir on the master cylinder was 1 inch/1.5 inches below the "MAX" fill line.

My hydro booster performs properly when doing a function test. All that to say, I believe my master cylinder was the source of the leak and not the hydrobooster, but the grime on the hydrobooster's body (especially on the accumulator) has me second guessing myself. I don't think a leaking master cylinder could have gotten all this mess on the hydrobooster/accumulator. Maybe it could.

Should I just replace the master cylinder and see if things get better. Should I be worried about the build up on the hydro booster? Thoughts?
(Attached picture is hydro booster after removing the old master cylinder. you can really see the amount of grime on the accumulator after I wiped a little spot off.)

Thank you for your time and your expertise!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck.jpg (97.5 KB, 7 views)
__________________
2006 LBZ

Last edited by OkDually; 03-01-2020 at 10:20 PM. Reason: sig
Offline  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-02-2020, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro
 
Ron Nielson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Berryton, KS
Posts: 2,421
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

A couple of cans of brake cleaner spray and a new MC will make your day a little brighter. If nothing else, NOT having a leaky MC will allow you to find any other leaks in the area more easily.

__________________
Ron Nielson

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2020, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster
 
mp06011999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vegas
Posts: 6,221
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackssw View Post
I have a 2006 LBZ. My brakes have gotten pretty spongy over time, so I pop the hood to find a signs of a leak around the master cylinder and hydro booster. Both the master cylinder and the hydrobooster's exterior have a fair amount of grease/grime built up on them.

When I checked the levels of the power steering fluid - it's right on the money. However, the brake fluid reservoir on the master cylinder was 1 inch/1.5 inches below the "MAX" fill line.

My hydro booster performs properly when doing a function test. All that to say, I believe my master cylinder was the source of the leak and not the hydrobooster, but the grime on the hydrobooster's body (especially on the accumulator) has me second guessing myself. I don't think a leaking master cylinder could have gotten all this mess on the hydrobooster/accumulator. Maybe it could.

Should I just replace the master cylinder and see if things get better. Should I be worried about the build up on the hydro booster? Thoughts?
(Attached picture is hydro booster after removing the old master cylinder. you can really see the amount of grime on the accumulator after I wiped a little spot off.)

Thank you for your time and your expertise!
From your pic, the wet high psi line and the low psi return line both have o-rings that could be bad. Especially the low psi side. The weep hole where the booster and the mc bolt up together would be the area to check for booster leaks. If it feels oily = PS (booster) and if it feels drying = brake fluid (ms).

My 06 LBZ with less than 80,000 miles, it was the booster. Pretty common. I also fight with those PS lines seeping ever since.

Another way besides feeling the slipperiness or dryness of the leaking fluid is if it's eating any paint = brake fluid.
__________________
*2006 2500HD SLT, LBZ, 4x4, Auto, ex. cab, 8' bed.

I don't want to brag... but this is like the 5th "End of the World" I've survived.

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... welfare for illegals... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?


Last edited by mp06011999; 03-02-2020 at 11:58 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-02-2020, 12:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
jackssw
Heat Sink
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 14
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Thank you for the reply! That makes a lot of sense. I'll check that area closely when I get home this evening.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2020, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
jackssw
Heat Sink
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 14
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post
From your pic, the wet high psi line and the low psi return line both have o-rings that could be bad. Especially the low psi side. The weep hole where the booster and the mc bolt up together would be the area to check for booster leaks. If it feels oily = PS (booster) and if it feels drying = brake fluid (ms).

My 06 LBZ with less than 80,000 miles, it was the booster. Pretty common. I also fight with those PS lines seeping ever since.

Another way besides feeling the slipperiness or dryness of the leaking fluid is if it's eating any paint = brake fluid.
I'm looking back at my picture...and your comment is spot on - that low pressure side connection is nasty. While the high pressure side is pretty clean (I didn't wipe it off). Would it make sense for me to replace that low pressure line? I say replace the line because I'm pretty sure the o-rings for those lines are specialized and I've only ever seen them when they come with a new PS line. Thoughts?
__________________
2006 LBZ
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2020, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster
 
mp06011999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vegas
Posts: 6,221
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackssw View Post
Thank you for the reply! That makes a lot of sense. I'll check that area closely when I get home this evening.
My guess from how much build up there is up high on the booster is it is the booster leaking up high like one of those o-rings. BUT, that doesn't mean the booster isn't leaking at the weep hole. Mine was when I went in to change the leaking lines.

Some have optioned to rebuild and some have had issues with rebuilding / buying reman. So I bought new. I purchased the booster for the 2011 Duramax. It was cheaper and supposedly 'improved'. I had to Dremel out the push rod hole very slightly. There are several posts here and competing sites about replacing and rebuilding our boosters.
__________________
*2006 2500HD SLT, LBZ, 4x4, Auto, ex. cab, 8' bed.

I don't want to brag... but this is like the 5th "End of the World" I've survived.

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... welfare for illegals... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2020, 01:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster
 
mp06011999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vegas
Posts: 6,221
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackssw View Post
I'm looking back at my picture...and your comment is spot on - that low pressure side connection is nasty. While the high pressure side is pretty clean (I didn't wipe it off). Would it make sense for me to replace that low pressure line? I say replace the line because I'm pretty sure the o-rings for those lines are specialized and I've only ever seen them when they come with a new PS line. Thoughts?
lol - I was writing at the same time....

The o-ring is special. Viton and a particular size. I'll be back into mine this week and will look up the o-ring size. I ordered extras.

I'm also replacing my lines with smaller lines if I can - 11/32 instead of 3/8. I swear these return lines won't stop seeping so I'm trying all I can, making it a TIGHT fit. See:
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76...ml#post9878766

All of the hoses are pretty cheap. And after you replace the o-ring you could still discover the hoses and the booster are leaking too. Anything I do, if I were you with old hoses, I'd replace the hoses regardless. And if they're off, pull that nipple on the booster and replace the o-ring too. It's the booster and MC you'll have to find out about as you go, imho.
__________________
*2006 2500HD SLT, LBZ, 4x4, Auto, ex. cab, 8' bed.

I don't want to brag... but this is like the 5th "End of the World" I've survived.

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... welfare for illegals... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2020, 11:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster
 
mp06011999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vegas
Posts: 6,221
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

* Return line nipple at booster o-ring = 902 Viton (V90902)
* All high PSI lines o-ring = 903 Viton (V90903)

I have my doubts about these sizes because mine always seem to seep within a year. But that's the 411 I found when searching and so that's what I bought. If somebody finds something different, PLEASE post it.
__________________
*2006 2500HD SLT, LBZ, 4x4, Auto, ex. cab, 8' bed.

I don't want to brag... but this is like the 5th "End of the World" I've survived.

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... welfare for illegals... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2020, 02:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
jackssw
Heat Sink
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 14
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Thank you for looking! I might buy a few of those o-rings and give that a shot. To be honest, I'm not driving my truck a ton - so even if that gives me a year of no leaks until I have to change them out again - I'd call that a win...considering you can get a pack of 20+ orings for $2
__________________
2006 LBZ
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2020, 02:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster
 
mp06011999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vegas
Posts: 6,221
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackssw View Post
Thank you for looking! I might buy a few of those o-rings and give that a shot. To be honest, I'm not driving my truck a ton - so even if that gives me a year of no leaks until I have to change them out again - I'd call that a win...considering you can get a pack of 20+ orings for $2
Too windy to mess with it today. Maybe tomorrow, but I figured you were waiting for the info. You're welcome.

Yea, that's what I did. I heard the dealer only costs $9 per o-ring .

I used larger non-viton o-rings in the past and got about the same time out of them. They were pretty deformed when they came out. PS fluid attacked them.

Oddly, I don't believe any of the o-rings at the pump or gearbox ever seeped. Just at the booster. Then again, those are harder to see, so maybe.

__________________
*2006 2500HD SLT, LBZ, 4x4, Auto, ex. cab, 8' bed.

I don't want to brag... but this is like the 5th "End of the World" I've survived.

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... welfare for illegals... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
© AutoGuide