LBZ: 4WD drive train question - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010 Discuss front and rear axle, transfer case, brakes, etc. Transmission questions belong in the appropriate transmission forum below. First through fourth generation...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
sgaston
Sparkplug Hunter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

4WD drive train question

I'm the original owner of a 2007 2500HD Classic 4WD with 65K miles. All other maintenance has been kept up to date, but I haven't replaced the differential and transfer case oil. Should this be done soon? If so, should I use a synthetic for longevity?

Last edited by OkDually; 12-19-2019 at 01:16 PM. Reason: prefix adj/sig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2019, 05:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

I would use synthetic, it likely won't make a real difference what you select.

Owners manual will indicate what fluids to use. If it says to use a DexIII fluid in the transfer case, it's suggested that you actually find a DexIII fluid and use it (vs using the now more commonly available DexVI that's considered backwards compatible), as there were some problems with seals leaking when using DexVI, that didn't with DexIII.

And if the rear diff is a G80, GM's recommendation is to not add a limited slip differential modifier (LSD) to the fluid, while Eaton (who makes the G80) says to add some. Some use stuff with an LSD already in it, and some people just use plain gear oil (and some of these people notice their diff doesn't lock up as nice as before, and add a bit of LSD and it's good again).

Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2019, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
RickDLance

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

X2 on the synthetic

27 Duramax's so far!!

www.ProFabPerformance.com

We also handle S & B filters, Air Dog lift pumps, and Kraftwerks Superchargers.

Special Thanks to my Sponsors!!
Danville Performance, SoCal Diesel, Vibrant Performance, & ProFab Performance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2019, 09:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
jake111
Diesel Boss

For the G80, my understanding is that GM says not to add friction modifier because their "grapejuice" already has some in it, so don't add more. So, it needs some, but not too much. The easiest route is to use the genuine GM gear oil (very expensive), or go something like Mobil 1 Synthetic 75-90 LSD gear oil (which I've used for over 10 years without any issues). Use it in the front diff, too.

I don't know what GM said for the transfer case in 2007, but if you manual says Dex-III, then like davester said, find some. Again, Mobil 1 has a transmission fluid "for GM 2006 and older" that means Dex-III, but they might not be able to say Dex-III because the licensing was retired. Last time I looked, some still say Dex-III, or maybe compatible with Dex-III, like some Walmart products. Or maybe Valvoline Maxlife. Like all above, synthetic is a nice touch for these fluids.
TxC V2 aux radiator w/Fan (leaked after 12 yrs), engineer837 aux rad , TxC CAI, LBZ MP, Scangauge II, Nicktane aux filter head, KD lift pump, 2008 PS pump, 2011 hydroboost, Frederico Swaybars, Rancho 9000XL, Torklift StableLoads, BFG AT/KO2, Lance 835 Camper often in the bed.

Last edited by jake111; 12-19-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgaston View Post
I'm the original owner of a 2007 2500HD Classic 4WD with 65K miles. All other maintenance has been kept up to date, but I haven't replaced the differential and transfer case oil. Should this be done soon? If so, should I use a synthetic for longevity?
First welcome to DP

I’m still the Original Owner of our 07 Classic for another month and I have all the Owners Manuals including Diesel Supplement Manual.
6-14 Page 550 of your Owners Manual
Front & Rear Axle
SAE 75W-90 Synthetic
Axle Lubricant
(GM Part No. U.S. 12378261, in Canada 10953455) meeting GM Specification 9986115.

Yes, I would use Synthetic of your choice since it recommended.

This might help
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/71...nsor-pics.html
As for the transfer case I filled through the top fill not the speed sensor that some recommended. I figured it wasn’t necessary.

There is a debate on what oil to use in your transfer case on here. If you want me to find it I can or you can do a search

Last edited by Rvn4me; 12-20-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in