Replaced center support bearing for driveshaft - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010 Discuss front and rear axle, transfer case, brakes, etc. Transmission questions belong in the appropriate transmission forum below. First through fourth generation...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By davester

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2019, 03:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Replaced center support bearing for driveshaft

My truck has had a low speed vibration & a kind of jerking motion happening sometimes at speed when extra power is needed (such as going uphill towing a trailer), and the only thing I could find being a problem was the center support bearing (CSB), it could move quite a bit (maybe about 3/8" from pulling down to pushing up). Ordered a new bearing and today was install day.

Marked the driveshaft so I could reinstall it the same way on the rear yoke, removed it, checked all the u-joints (they still feel good, they were replaced when the center support bearing was replaced, about 60k km ago, when I had the driveshaft shortened as part of upgrading the truck to 4wd), and checked the CSB. The CSB was shot, and the inner part of the rubber mount had almost completely separated from the outer part:

IMG_1522.jpg

I'm not sure why the end of the driveshaft is rusty like that. The shop had painted everything black, and put stickers on both halves of the shaft to indicate how they should be aligned, and for some reason, all the paint for the last 1" is gone and it's all rusty now. Only part of it like that...

Whee! Dually Club Member #1109

Last edited by davester; 12-02-2019 at 03:23 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 03:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

Used a bearing splitter and a small press to get the bearing off.

IMG_1524.jpg

It's a small press, for a long driveshaft, so I needed to put some wood blocks under it to get enough clearance for the driveshaft, and use some square tubing as the support platform instead of the OEM much stouter platform, as the driveshaft wouldn't fit through it. It didn't take much pressure to get it out.

IMG_1523.jpg

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2019, 03:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

Cleaned up the bearing mounting surface with some emery paper, and cleaned off all the grease from the splines, and then began the hunt for some tubing of the right diameter to use for pounding the new carrier bearing on.

IMG_1526.jpg

Initially, I could only find some tubing about 1/2" too big, so I began making a plate adapter with the right ID that I could tack-weld to the tubing, but halfway through making it, I found another piece of tubing that was just slightly too small, that I could bore out a smidge and it worked great.

IMG_1525.jpg

I didn't want to damage the driveshaft by holding it in a vise or having one end against the ground and hammer on the other end, so I just held the driveshaft between my legs, and used the tube to hammer the CSB and then the grease cup/shield into place. It didn't take a lot of effort for either one.

I lubed up the splines with this stuff Jet-Lube MP-50 Moly Paste, a thick molybdenum grease, as from what little I read, molybdenum greases seems to recommended for this application, albeit a thinner grease than what this stuff is, but it's what I've got (and it's this, wheel bearing grease, or regular chassis grease):

IMG_1527.jpg

Reassembled and installed it in the truck, and went for a short test drive. It's definitely better, but there's still some low-speed rumbling, seems more from the front now. Didn't feel any jerking during the drive, but I think it'll take more driving to see if it really has gone away with this fix.

I also bought lower ball joints for the front end, as I noticed the boot on one of them had split, and they are probably original. As part of replacing them, I'll check out the front hubs more closely, as I've checked them for play by pushing/pulling at 6 & 12 and didn't feel much movement then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2019, 08:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
BillB3857
Diesel Boss

The rust line on the drive shaft, to me, looks like the shaft had moved toward the CSB to the point that it went into the frame of the CSB. The remaining rubber simply rubbed all the paint off.

When I replaced my CSB, I filled all the molded in gaps of the OEM rubber with urethane rubber. It stiffened and strengthened the rubber support.
Trail-Air Pin Box,
Old 12-03-2019, 03:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB3857 View Post
The rust line on the drive shaft, to me, looks like the shaft had moved toward the CSB to the point that it went into the frame of the CSB. The remaining rubber simply rubbed all the paint off.

When I replaced my CSB, I filled all the molded in gaps of the OEM rubber with urethane rubber. It stiffened and strengthened the rubber support.

The driveshaft definitely didn't move that far, as the rubber for the CSB hadn't completely separated, and it would need to for the driveshaft to move 2-3" back, and there would signs of it going into the the CSB, either some rubber onto the driveshaft, or the driveshaft would be scraped up by the metal hoop of the CSB.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dooner
Diesel Nut

"My truck has had a low speed vibration & a kind of jerking motion happening sometimes at speed when extra power is needed (such as going uphill towing a trailer), and the only thing I could find being a problem was the center support bearing (CSB), it could move quite a bit (maybe about 3/8" from pulling down to pushing up). Ordered a new bearing and today was install day.

Marked the driveshaft so I could reinstall it the same way on the rear yoke, removed it, checked all the u-joints (they still feel good, they were replaced when the center support bearing was replaced, about 60k km ago, when I had the driveshaft shortened as part of upgrading the truck to 4wd), and checked the CSB. The CSB was shot, and the inner part of the rubber mount had almost completely separated from the outer part"

Seems like this is at least the 2nd CSB replacement on this truck. Is this the truck in your sig, and how many miles?
'06 Silverado LBZ 2500HD LT CC/LB 4X4, EGR Blocked & Fingered, PCV Reroute, Pro Fab downpipe, Magnaflow High Performance Diesel Cat, 4" MBRP downpipe back system (no muffler) w/5" tip, Fuel Filter Bleeder Valve, Fumoto Valve, Leveled Tow Mirrors, Custom Fabricated Grill Guard with (2) 20" Cree LED Light bars, Mag-Hytec Diff Cover, Leveling Kit, Air Ride Air Bags, Reese Pro-Series 20K 5th Wheel Hitch, Bilstein 5100's, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 285/70R17's on chromed H2 rims

2006 Weekend Warrior FS2600 Billet Edition Toyhauler (Sold 1/10/17)
2007 Attitude MKS33 5th Wheel Toyhauler
'19 Can-Am Maverick X3 Max XRS Turbo R
'06 Suzuki LTR450 (Sold)
'07 Suzuki LTZ400 (Sold)
'04 Yamaha Raptor 660 (Sold)
GOT SAND?
Old 12-04-2019, 02:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

Yes, it's the truck in my sig.

I installed 4wd in my truck at 220k km (with what the truck would have come with from the factory), and as part of it, I had the driveshaft shortened to make room for the transfer case. As part of shortening and balancing it, the shop recommended putting in a new CSB, which I ok'd. At that time, the original one didn't look or feel bad, but it likely had a bunch of miles on it. I don't know the brand of the part, don't think it was mentioned on the receipt, but it was likely one of the cheap, generic brands.

Now the truck has 280k km. And the new CSB is a SKF HB88505.

Right now, I think it failed relatively early because it was a cheap part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in