LLY: Trying to locate the correct wheel hub assembly - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010 Discuss front and rear axle, transfer case, brakes, etc. Transmission questions belong in the appropriate transmission forum below. First through fourth generation...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2019, 08:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
GreanMeat
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Trying to locate the correct wheel hub assembly

I have looked all over and can't get a definite answer. I have a 2005 lly Rwd I am trying to change the front wheel bearings and every one I have found is splined for a 4wd with no dust covers. Does anyone have a part number for the 2wd hub assembly? Thanks for the help

Last edited by OkDually; 08-04-2019 at 09:04 PM. Reason: prefix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2019, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Welcome to DieselPlace
I moved your thread over to "Drivetrain 2001-2010" for better responses to your question

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube Winter Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2019, 10:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

I'm pretty sure they are the same hub, jut that 2wd doesn't have any splines to insert into the hub. To be sure get your VIN# and to go GMPARTSGIANT.COM and use your vin # to look up the correct part number for your truck. Another way to do this is to use RockAuto.COM and see what they have and their fitment guide.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers

Last edited by Ron Nielson; 08-04-2019 at 10:57 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2019, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

Yup, the solid center hubs no longer exist. They're all splined for 4wd, but are also used on 2wd trucks now, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Old 08-05-2019, 09:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
GreanMeat
Gear Grinder

Thanks for the Info Guys Now i can order some parts. i just need to be on the look out for a transfer case and a front diff and convert it to 4wd
Old 08-06-2019, 03:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
jake111
Diesel Boss

davester did a nice write-up doing a 2wd to 4wd conversion.
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76...0-2wd-4wd.html
TxC V2 aux radiator w/Fan (leaked after 12 yrs), engineer837 aux rad , TxC CAI, LBZ MP, Scangauge II, Nicktane aux filter head, KD lift pump, 2008 PS pump, 2011 hydroboost, Frederico Swaybars, Rancho 9000XL, Torklift StableLoads, BFG AT/KO2, Lance 835 Camper often in the bed.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

If you do go for the conversion, besides reading that thread (I converted my gas 6.0L 3500 to 4wd), some things you might need to investigate/deal with for converting a diesel would be:
-what needs to be done to the Allison to convert between 2wd and 4wd
-you want the right "version" of transfer case and front diff...from either another diesel, but a 8.1L gas might also use the same bits (I'm not sure). You don't want them from a 6.0L gas truck, as they are slightly weaker (front diff might be the same size, but likely the wrong ratio). A parts truck works great, as it means you have all the bits needed to do it...and you have spare parts for when other things break!
-might need to alter your exhaust pipes to fit around the front driveshaft
-might want to see if your truck's wiring harness has the plug for the manual 4wd system. Mine did, so I could just plug it in, insert the 4wd fuse, and the front diff would automatically lock/unlock as I shifted in&out of 4wd. I still have to do something to have a 4wd indicator light, as I haven't found a way to flash the IP to support 4wd

The hardest part was making the upper driver's side mount for the front diff. It needs to be in a pretty specific spot, and there's not a lot of space to work with, and there will be less with a diesel, and you likely will want to make sure to retain access to the engine mount which is right next to it. It was a lot of back & forth of grinding/welding then test fitting over and over again until it was in a good spot, and it's not perfect as I need to jiggle the diff a bit to get the bolt in. If you pull the engine and maybe move the steering box/shaft a bit, it'll be much easier to make and install that upper bracket (and you can choose to either make it bolt in like mine, or just weld it directly to the frame).
Whee! Dually Club Member #1109

Last edited by davester; 08-06-2019 at 04:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in