Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010 (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-speciality-forums/125-drivetrain-2001-2010/)
-   -   Question: GMT800 Front Axle Mount Bushings (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-speciality-forums/125-drivetrain-2001-2010/977422-gmt800-front-axle-mount-bushings.html)

Mmcclos08 07-22-2019 03:05 PM

GMT800 Front Axle Mount Bushings

Hey Guys, not sure if this has been discussed here, but I could really use some help. I tried searching, but couldn't find what I was looking for. There is a bracket on the passenger side that is used to mount the front axle to the frame rail. There are two bushings (different sizes) pressed into the frame rail that this bracket bolts to. Does anyone know the OE part number for these bushings? I cannot find them on the diagrams on GMPARTSDIR etc... any help would be appreciated. I have my frame off for blasting and would like to replace these bushings at this time.

Thanks!

davester 07-22-2019 03:18 PM

From when I upgraded my truck to 4wd and talking to several dealers, those bushings are part of the frame. If you want new OEM ones, you need to buy a new frame.

I got mine from a junkyard with minimal damage and they appear to still be in good condition after a couple of years installed in my truck, I check them every now and then to see if there's any sign of them moving.

Unless there's something seriously wrong with them, just protect them from sandblasting and any chemicals you might be using.

Mmcclos08 07-22-2019 03:28 PM

Well that seems silly....thanks for the info. I pressed the front one out, it has some cracking but seems OK, I can put it back in. The back one was tight and has a steel outer case like the leaf spring bushings, so i didn't push my luck until I knew I could get a replacement...which it seems I cannot.

Thanks for the quick reply!

davester 07-23-2019 12:58 AM

From what I can tell, they are both the same (maybe slightly different diameter, I forget the measurements), a metal tube welded to the frame, a rubber bushing that seemed to be bonded to it, with a metal sleeve for the bolts to the bracket.

If you do want another one, I found an easy way to get them out is to use a drill with a small bit (1/4", long enough to go through). Aim it right at the outside edge of the bushing, right up against the metal tube, drill slowly to get the drill all the way through, then keep the drill going slowly and let the rubber grab the drill bit, and it'll work it's way around the bushing right next to the metal tube. That free's the bushing, pull the drill out, and hammer the bushing out (doesn't need much effort as it's free of the tube.

Mmcclos08 07-23-2019 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davester (Post 9835734)
From what I can tell, they are both the same (maybe slightly different diameter, I forget the measurements), a metal tube welded to the frame, a rubber bushing that seemed to be bonded to it, with a metal sleeve for the bolts to the bracket.

If you do want another one, I found an easy way to get them out is to use a drill with a small bit (1/4", long enough to go through). Aim it right at the outside edge of the bushing, right up against the metal tube, drill slowly to get the drill all the way through, then keep the drill going slowly and let the rubber grab the drill bit, and it'll work it's way around the bushing right next to the metal tube. That free's the bushing, pull the drill out, and hammer the bushing out (doesn't need much effort as it's free of the tube.

The front one that I removed, I just put a piece of PVC pipe on the inside of the frame and a large C-clamp onto the bushing and it pushed into the PVC pipe with very little effort. I tried the same thing with the back one, but it seemed to have a metal sleeve between the frame sleeve and the rubber, so I suspect it is rusted in there, and I didnt want to risk mangling it. I will just wait until after blasting and put the front one back in and call it good. Not really anywhere for them to go and they seemed tight enough. I could probably do something with a standard poly bushing, but I dont know how much extra vibration that would transmit into the cab.