Warped rotors - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010 Discuss front and rear axle, transfer case, brakes, etc. Transmission questions belong in the appropriate transmission forum below. First through fourth generation...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
ruffneckred
Glow Plug

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Warped rotors

Today I was going to replace the front rotors and pads. Being cursed with abundant curiosity and frugality combined with a tool fetish, I picked up a dial indicator.

So I took off the tires. but two lug nuts back on and lightly snugged them up. Installed my new toy, and found the right to be 5 lines (I assume to be .001 inch per line, but no owner manual so I don't know) of movement, the left was better 2-3 lines of movement.

Doesn't seem to be warped to me.

I have a steering wheel shake when braking, just had dealership replace lower ball joint, idler arm (both pieces), pitman arm, and steering sector. Pretty certain if any tie rod ends were bad they would have sold me that too. I have pushed and pulled on the tie rod ends and can't see an issue. Mr. Google said warped rotors, but with parts on the bench and seeing these numbers I am wondering if I am throwing money away.

Will someone weigh in on whether the .005 is serious warp or am I missing something. Thanks

4" Rancho lift, 285 Hankook ATMs, 337000 miles, tons of idling time

Kennedy lift pump, MA deep trans pan, Transynd tranny fluid, Royal Purple 15W-40 from day 1. Transfer case pump rub upgrade, MA transfer case brace. Put my own twist on the PCV mod, mounted a Steeda oil separator between valve covers and air horn inlet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2019, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Adrexco
Diesel Apprentice

5 thousands is nothing. Rust or some debris between the hub and rotor can do that.

07.5 GMC LMM Extended Cab 8' bed SLE, Quad with Econo tune, Lost CAT & DPF, EGR Blocker plate, micron auxiliary frame mount fuel filter with lift pump, Top Gun Full replacement bumper, 2" lift keys, Timbren front control arm bumpers, KYB Monomax shocks, Century Cab High Cap, Under the rim Line-a-Bed, Towing mirrors, H2 rims & Firestone Transforce AT 265/70/17, Kenwood DDX6703S carplay double DIN DVD media center, 4x Pioneer TS-A1685R speakers, back-up camera, In-Dash USB Charging Station, Rosta cruise control, Compustar GM10 remote start, Compass/ambient temperature auto dimming rear view mirror, Silverstar headlights, 2 LED replacement Fog light, 2 LED spot lights behind grill, All lights on mod, TransGo Jr,. Allison Deep Pan and Filter, Merchant Auto deep filter lock, DMax.com Arctic Tranny Cooler, AAM Helical Posi, AAM Aluminum Differential Cover
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2019, 10:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
fisherdude
Low Boost

I'd check the rears too. They warped first on my truck. And my steering shook along with the rest of the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 09:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

If your in need of new pads like you mentioned new rotors are put on. I’ve never put on new pads without installing new rotors. I don’t even look for thickness or warping. Good for another 200,000 miles

Last edited by Rvn4me; 07-16-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
ruffneckred
Glow Plug

Thanks guys, I put all the lug nuts on the side with .005 and it improved to .002-.003 so I opted to return the rotors and pads, My pads are still like 60%. I will look into the rear as the stealership mentioned a hanging caliper in the rear, of course they also said warped rotors, but I may have put that thought in their head. Lol, I have to quit suggesting things they can sell me. I have been fighting sticking calipers as I use CRC caliper grease that was black & sticky, made all the rubber parts sticky. I have since learned the magic of smurf jizz.

Kennedy lift pump, MA deep trans pan, Transynd tranny fluid, Royal Purple 15W-40 from day 1. Transfer case pump rub upgrade, MA transfer case brace. Put my own twist on the PCV mod, mounted a Steeda oil separator between valve covers and air horn inlet.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Old Man
Diesel Head

smurf jiz

could tell me what smurf jiz is , I know what brake grease is.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

Smurfs jizz is disc brake quiet...blue adhesive applied to pad backing plates to quell squealing.
Since I use the OEM ceramic pads, I've never had to use "disc brake quiet" on the pad backing plates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2019, 08:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Old Man
Diesel Head

smurf jizz

thanks for reply on smurf jizz, I do not think it will work in place of brake grease on slides and pins , might bind it up a little!
Thanks again
Old 07-22-2019, 09:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
ruffneckred
Glow Plug

my understanding it is the silicon based lube on the pins that is not damaged by the heat, other lubes react with the rubber, get sticky and makes caliper hang up. Been down that road, ick. Maybe I have my redneck label wrong....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in