Brake Fluid in reservoir went black - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010 Discuss front and rear axle, transfer case, brakes, etc. Transmission questions belong in the appropriate transmission forum below. First through fourth generation...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2019, 07:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Brake Fluid in reservoir went black

I replaced my front hubs and serviced all 4 brakes in 2015. Brakes were in great shape so all I really did was clean & lube the surfaces and flush the brake fluid. I flushed it again in 2016 and in 2018 using the buddy method of "pump"... "hold"....

Before I started doing these flushes, I could always see thru the fluid in the reservoir. But since doing them regularly, I notice it gets dark fast, darker than it ever did over the years I neglected it. And now.... it's black.

The last flush was just 1 year and 4,000 miles ago. At that one, I removed and cleaned the reservoir spotless. I'm 100% sure it was clean and dry before reinstalling. Flushed the system with clean fluid from a sealed container (per usual) and now... a year later, it has turned so black that I can't even see thru it. I dipped a clean sliver of white paper in the reservoir and it comes out nearly clear to amber with nothing clinging to the paper but pretty brake fluid.

So, is the fluid in the reservoir turning dark and now black this fast because the seals in the MC are going, the rubber hoses are rotting away from the inside, it doesn't like Prestone DOT3 or what? And should I care? It was never this dark even after no flushes, running the OEM from 2006 to 2015. ??? Brakes work fine.

It still feels very slippery. I'm almost certain if I start sucking out the fluid I will find black slippery rubber specs or greasy dirt remnants clinging to the walls and floor of the reservoir similar to last year, but much worse this time since I can't even see thru the fluid now.

Truck only has 82,000 miles & is 13+ years old. I've owned it since new. Never beat on or worked like it should be. Thoughts?

Mine is... years of neglecting it and then servicing it with routine flushes has dislodged rubber into the fluid and it's getting worse and needs a new MC and / or rubber lines.

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... create welfare laws to service illegals in the Home Depot parking lot... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?

Last edited by mp06011999; 04-01-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

I would also consider it might be rust bits from the lines? How do they look on the outside (easy spot to check where they go bad is along the frame rail from the driver's front wheel to the abs brake controller, also goes back along the frame under the bed, but it's had to check with the fuel tank in the way).

Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2019, 10:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post
I would also consider it might be rust bits from the lines? How do they look on the outside (easy spot to check where they go bad is along the frame rail from the driver's front wheel to the abs brake controller, also goes back along the frame under the bed, but it's had to check with the fuel tank in the way).
Thanks. But...

Na, no rust. The contaminants I got from the reservoir each time was soft and creamy, like how rubber gets, say when you open an old faucet and touch an o-ring or washer, that black smear you get. When I touched the black specs, they'd just smear like a woman's blush.

There's no rust on the lines whatsoever. Or on bolts or the OEM exhaust or anything like that on the truck. You won't even get rust flakes pulling off drums or rotors. Dry hot desert.

I'm guessing it's probably MC seals and rubber lines changing the color to black as they deteriorate from the inside and get disturbed with all these flushes. But I don't know and I don't know if it's a problem.

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... create welfare laws to service illegals in the Home Depot parking lot... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2019, 12:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

Well, it could be the seals as well. When I replaced my brake lines/hoses due to rust, the reservoir and MC were also covered in that black stuff. I briefly looked for a rebuild/seal kit for the MC, to take it apart and clean it, but couldn't find one so I replaced it.

Now, 3 years later, the fluid is getting darker again. When I get some time, I'll flush it with new brake fluid.
Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Old 04-02-2019, 10:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
joeg1982
High Compression

I would suck out all (or most) of the MC and clean that plastic reservoir inside and out before anything. Then add new fluid and bleed. Black or dark fluid is moisture contamination.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
68ss
Diesel Newbie

TN Diesel Place Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg1982 View Post
I would suck out all (or most) of the MC and clean that plastic reservoir inside and out before anything. Then add new fluid and bleed. Black or dark fluid is moisture contamination.
I was thinking moisture and or bacteria as well living in the moisture.

Toby
Old 04-02-2019, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

I apologize, I overreacted .

Just sucked a 1/2 ounce out and it's fine. As for bacteria and water, I've seen that before and it's usually a greenish tint.

For some reason, it went from looking clear in the reservoir to looking black in the reservoir (see pic) in a year. But you can see it's still amber when in the cup (see pic). It looked clean when clinging to the white paper I dipped in the reservoir. So I just grabbed a clean turkey baster to see. This is 1 year and 4,000 miles on it. Not gonna mess with it... or the hoses or the MC. I'll flush it again this fall or next spring.

Still curious why it looks so black in the reservoir. 2 bright flashlights won't even penetrate it. I scraped a Q-tip on the bottom of the reservoir to see if there's maybe a layer of crud and nope. Came up clean and light amber. Don't know why she looks so black looking down the filler hole or thru the sides.

FWIW: I flushed 3 vehicles a year ago at the same time and the darkness of the brake fluid in all of them now correlates directly with the miles on the vehicles themselves and not the miles on the brake fluid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190401_111304.jpg (22.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190402_092321.jpg (20.6 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by mp06011999; 04-02-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post
Davester, while I was snapping pics, thought to grab ya this one. If you ever need a used vehicle, the desert is a clean place to get 'em.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190402_094536.jpg (46.0 KB, 3 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in