LB7: Braking system upgrades - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010 Discuss front and rear axle, transfer case, brakes, etc. Transmission questions belong in the appropriate transmission forum below. First through fourth generation...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2018, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jaybmiller3
Block Heater

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Braking system upgrades

Hello everyone,

I have an 04 Sierra LB7, that I use for my daily hauler for work, I am in landscaping, so it's either hauling a lawnmower or a tractor each day.

I have noticed for a while that when braking it seems like it requires a lot more effort and braking force to stop my truck than I feel like there should be, especially with only 3000lbs being pulled when carrying the lawnmower, so much so that it has put some fear and hesitation in me to try and pull the tractor at 10k lbs around the curvy and hill filled roads I live and work around.

So wanting to start simple, I started with taking the tires off and checking the shoes, they all seem to have plenty of pad left. So I moved on to doing a brake and power steering fluid flush. Got that done it does seem to have helped some, but not enough that I'm comfortable with the brake system. I am the 3rd owner of the truck and the pads/rotors on it are the same ones I bought the truck with, so I don't know the quality of the brakes that were put on it last.

I am wondering what everyone's overall opinions are on what to do to help my braking system, as I don't know what brakes it has, would stepping up to a powerstop(or another reputable brand) shoes/rotors be the first step? I also have a friend who used to work at GM as a tech, and he said I could swap out the lb7 hydraboost for an LML and that would increase my braking power, however doing a little googling all I can seem to find is lb7 rebuild kits for the hydraboost, and not a whole unit sold that you can just swap out. If this is a viable option and anyone has a link to a place that sells them posting that info would be greatly appreciated!

So that's pretty much it, would any of you guys recommend doing one of those before/instead of the other? Or have any suggestions I should do before either of these?

Thanks in advance,
Jay

Last edited by OkDually; 05-15-2018 at 05:11 PM. Reason: prefix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2018, 05:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sturgeon-Phish
Diesel Boss

Have the rotors / pads became contaminated with brake fluid from a caliper?

2003 GMC 3500 crew dually LB7 NF2 Federal. Onyx Black, Dark Tint & De-badged, Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; Pace Edwards power tonneau. Isspro EGT & Boost. PPE Boost Valve. Mich. LTX A/T2 LT215/85R16. CTS Insight with backup camera, Air Box mod, Stock exhaust no muffler, Fumato drain valve. B&W turnover with Companion 5th wheel platform, Line-X. Hi/Low Beam light mod. 80 watt LED backup lights . Kennedy Single Pump & Fuel Pre-filter (Thanks John). Weather Tech mats. MA Pump Upgrade with new T case rear half. LDS injectors (Thanks Brent). High Idle mod (Thanks Eric) Hopkins Easylift. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel. Member #1078 3500 Dually Club
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2018, 09:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
gmc502
Diesel Champ

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybmiller3 View Post
I also have a friend who used to work at GM as a tech, and he said I could swap out the lb7 hydraboost for an LML and that would increase my braking power,
Thanks in advance,
Jay
heres the lml hydroboost

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-178-0...ype=automotive
SoCal 5-6 speed conversion

2016 Denali Dmax white w/ black leather,leveled,stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2018, 10:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

If you haven't read through and performed these steps, that's where to start...post #1 https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/71-...right-way.html

It applies to both front and rear brakes. If you have to concentrate on holding the brake pedal at downhill stoplights, you need to follow the steps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Old 05-16-2018, 08:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Jaybmiller3
Block Heater

Sturgeon, I haven't seen any fluid on the pads or rotors, and have not seen or smelled the smoke that usually comes with leaking brake fluid. Thanks for the links guys!
Old 05-17-2018, 04:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Timmer64
Diesel Rookie

Ive read where some people get a firmer pedal feel when switching to braided stainless line in place of the stock rubber ones going to the caliper.
I have a 2008 dually, PVC reroute, Fass 165 LP,Rob tunes Efi live, PPE 3in down pipe and Flo pro 5in strait pipe exhaust. CTS2. HSP Y bridge and egr delete kit.HSP 3 inch hot side intercooler pipe,Trans jr kit and deep pan. Airaid intake. Deleted filter head.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Jaybmiller3
Block Heater

Thanks Timmer, I'll add the lines to the list of future endeavors to tackle. But incase i wasn't clear, it's not the pedal that is the issue, it does have a slight spongie-ness to it, but not enough that I'm worried about it. It's the brakes(or something in the braking system) themselves. My wife likes to tell me I drive like a grandpa, always going the speed limit, keeping adequate space between cars, braking early with more than enough distance to safely come to a stop, etc. But multiple times I've started my braking several hundred(approximately) feet back from a red light, and had the weight push me partially into the intersection, with pretty firm braking applied. That's with only around 3k lbs behind the truck, and with a trailer that has trailer brakes, so I know it's not just on the trucks brakes alone that I'm attempting to stop it.

I'm one of those people who freaks out a little bit every time I hit a pothole, or hear an abnormal sound, so replacing/upgrading everything in the braking system and steering/suspension is something I plan to do, but I can only afford time and money wise to tackle one project at a time, so was wondering what some people's opinions are on the forum for which thing I should do first.

Thanks again,
Jay
Old 05-17-2018, 10:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

Which one?
Brake hardware functionality.
I can assure that your 14 year old truck was not built with brakes that need upgraded to confidently stop a 3k lb trailer.
Your hardware/ mounting is most likely fouled up, and you, well...you wanna spend money you don't have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association

Last edited by heymccall; 05-17-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
dozerboy
Diesel Guru

Lone Star Diesels Member

X2 I can barely tell if I have a 3000 pound trailer behind me. Heck I have that much weight in the bed of my work truck every day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jaybmiller3
Block Heater

Heymcall, yeah that's basically what I'm getting at. There's no logical reasoning I can think of that the system wouldn't be working outside of something failing. That's why I started with the simple fixes and have been working my way up. My old gasser had no problems stopping my trailer with the tractor or mower on it so there's no way the better quality diesel truck is designed to have these braking issues.

What do you mean by hardware and mounting? Shoe mounting? Calipers? Pistons? Etc.

My pads are all good, they fit into the calipers smoothly and easily and are moveable by touch when off the rotors, calipers retract as they should. No visible damage to the lines or anything else I know to check for.

Not really sure what you mean by trying to spend money I don't have, not only do I have the money to buy new pads/rotors/calipers/lines if it turns out I need them, but I am on this forum asking for advice and expertise from people like yourself who have more than I do to try and avoid wasting money on something that may not actually be the culprit.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in