hydrobooster/ master cylinder leak - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010 Discuss front and rear axle, transfer case, brakes, etc. Transmission questions belong in the appropriate transmission forum below. First through fourth generation...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2016, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
gdoro1
Sparkplug Hunter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

hydrobooster/ master cylinder leak

I have a 2003 3500 with the lb7. My brakes were weak last week, so I started searching for a bad brakeline. The puddle of fluid after a few days led me to look up front. I removed the drivers side inner fender to make it easier, and the bottom side of the booster and master cylinder are wet. My power steering fluid is low. It looks as though it is leaking where the two meet. How do I tell if its the booster or master cylinder leaking?

Thank you for any help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2016, 01:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

The Hydroboost uses Power Steering Fluid and helps with Steering and Braking functions

The Hydroboost is well known to lose a seal or two and go bad..

You can have someone sit in the cab and turn the steering wheel and push the brake pedal with the engine running to try and hunt the leak down but it may be too small to notice..

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube Winter Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Last edited by OkDually; 11-13-2016 at 01:10 AM.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2016, 02:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

There is a rebuild kit available (basically new seals) for the hydroboost part if that turns out to be the problem.
Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2016, 06:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
w1ngsmk
Clutch

Second on the Hydroboost... common issue with our trucks....top off PS fluid and watch to see if Master or Hydroboost levels go down.....amount of time and loss of fluid is the giveaway....New Hydroboost W/O core is a couple of hundred dollars from RockAuto or amazon...or if you are near a reputable rebuilder pull the hydroboost and have them rebuild it with a kit There are you tube video's on this subject matter

2004.5 LLY CCSB, , MBRP 4", Amsoil Oil Bypass filter and fluids, EGR Blocker plate and FINGER STICK,LBZ Turbo Mouth Piece, 57 GAL SUPERTANK, Cooler Towing LLY Tranny Cooler & Supplemental Radiator with fan, Complete Front end rebuild, Complete Brake & Steering System rebuild. Merchant water Pump & Transfer Case Pump fix
Old 04-22-2017, 05:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
jblather
Diesel Head

My symptoms same as yours - bottom side of the booster and master cylinder are wet. My power steering fluid is low.

Replaced the hydroboost this week. You don't have to crack the brake lines. Two hours to replace it. Easy to bleed the power steering system, just rock the steering wheel lock to lock several times.
Transfer Case rub Repair and new rear case half.
Billet torque converter
Replaced instrument cluster stepper motors.
Canadian truck in the USA.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hetkehog
Self Ignition

it must be that time if the year cause just today my 03 LB7 hydroboost is leaking too. lol i am just going to rebuild the hydro, buy a new master, and a new power steering pump with new lines. its cheap enough and then you wont be chasing any problems. my $.02
18X12.5X18 BFGOODRICH KO2
MBRP COOL DUAL
MBRP 3" DOWNPIPE
ATS TRANNY
FASS 150 LIFT PUMP (THANKS TO MY LOVLEY WIFE)
EFI LIVE BY KORY WILLIS
STEALTH 64MM TURBO
Old 04-24-2017, 12:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
jblather
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetkehog View Post
it must be that time if the year cause just today my 03 LB7 hydroboost is leaking too. lol i am just going to rebuild the hydro, buy a new master, and a new power steering pump with new lines. its cheap enough and then you wont be chasing any problems. my $.02
Good idea. The power steering lines are pretty cheap.
Transfer Case rub Repair and new rear case half.
Billet torque converter
Replaced instrument cluster stepper motors.
Canadian truck in the USA.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
srodster
Diesel Fanatic

I know this thread is a little dated, but after putting on new fuel lines and brake lines this month, I discovered some "wetness" and a small drip at the hydroboost. See photo. For those that have tackled this job, would the "3 seal" rebuild be enough, or should I do a "full seal" rebuild. And of course, just get a remanf one and swap it out. Just curious as it looks like a "main" seal is only leaking in the photo.

For those that have swapped it out with a new one, any thoughts on brand?
Pondering my options......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Master Cylinder leak.jpg (106.1 KB, 13 views)
'02 Duramax LB7 K3500, Suncoast 6 speed Allison w/ Hughes Performance TC, Banks 6 Gun, MSD Digital Propane Injection, ATS Aurora 3000 turbo, AMSOIL BMK-17 Dual Oil Filtration, Carter P4600HP lift pump, BD High Flow exhaust manifold, B&M Hi-Tek Tranny & Fuel Coolers, Mag-Hytec tranny pan and differential cover, RanchHand front & rear bumpers, Bridgestone M729F 245/70/R19.5's w/ Rickson Wheels.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
srodster
Diesel Fanatic

I should also add, that on occasion when I push the brake pedal, sometimes I get a "fading" pedal as it gets to the bottom. Would that go beyond a "3 seal" change?
'02 Duramax LB7 K3500, Suncoast 6 speed Allison w/ Hughes Performance TC, Banks 6 Gun, MSD Digital Propane Injection, ATS Aurora 3000 turbo, AMSOIL BMK-17 Dual Oil Filtration, Carter P4600HP lift pump, BD High Flow exhaust manifold, B&M Hi-Tek Tranny & Fuel Coolers, Mag-Hytec tranny pan and differential cover, RanchHand front & rear bumpers, Bridgestone M729F 245/70/R19.5's w/ Rickson Wheels.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srodster View Post
I know this thread is a little dated, but after putting on new fuel lines and brake lines this month, I discovered some "wetness" and a small drip at the hydroboost. See photo. For those that have tackled this job, would the "3 seal" rebuild be enough, or should I do a "full seal" rebuild. And of course, just get a remanf one and swap it out. Just curious as it looks like a "main" seal is only leaking in the photo.

For those that have swapped it out with a new one, any thoughts on brand?
Pondering my options......
If I was going to rebuild it I would do a full rebuild and be done with it.
When I replaced my Hydroboost about 4 years ago I just used a Cardone Reman unit from OReillys and it has been fine.

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube Winter Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in