Detailed description for changing rear axle seal with pictures - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010 Discuss front and rear axle, transfer case, brakes, etc. Transmission questions belong in the appropriate transmission forum below. First through fourth generation...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2006, 10:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
flagstaff
Diesel Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Detailed description for changing rear axle seal with pictures

Several posters have asked if anyone has posted the procedure for changing the rear axle/hub seal on a 2500 HD. I never found any with pictures.

I did mine today and took the time to document the entire process. Click on the link to see the 40 step by step photos, with captions.

I tried to post this in DIY, but I don't have the privledges to do so. A moderator might post it there if they think it is worthwhile.

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft...4-2092D76F535B}

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2006, 12:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
idahofox
Diesel Boss

Nice job Flagstaff, detailed and complete, thanks.

2003 Silverado 2500HD, D/A, LB, EC, 4X4, SE, born 01/03.

" We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " ....Aristotle

" The only true Wilderness, is between a Greenies Ears. " .... AussieDave
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2006, 12:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
johnbron

Great job on your picture taking process. I hope you keep that page up for future viewing cause I saved it in my favorites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2006, 01:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Sir-Col
Glow Plug

Very nice job!...detailed and complete.
Sir-Col
Old 06-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
McRat
Diesel Ninja

Very nice!
2004.5 GMC 3500 SRW LLY "Big Blue" - LLY O/S 1668. 13.12 @ 103.4 Powered by PPE/VA with Mike L./ Suncoast Trans.
2006 GMC 2500HD CC/SB LBZ "Wendy"- LBZ O/S 6128. 12.50 @ 107. EFILive McRat tuning, Mike L trans, Banks RamAir.
Pat and Kat McSwain
Old 06-07-2006, 04:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Turbotug
Diesel Champ

Nice write up!
Did you replace the parking brake shoes or just clean them?

CC/SB 4x4 LB7

Just runnin' what I brung!...and that's typically more than enough.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
flagstaff
Diesel Starter

Thanks for the compliments. I intend to leave the photos posted.

As for the brakes, I just cleaned them. I had lots of gearlube on the disc pads as well. Everything cleaned up very well, although it did take almost 3 cans of cleaner, lots of paper towels, and some scraping. (The gearlube will mix with dirt and look more like grease than gearlube.) The parking and regular brakes work perfectly after the cleaning.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
gsxr1216
Diesel Apprentice

Nice write up, BUT i have one big question! i have seen a bunch of posts that said you needed a puller to remove the rear rotors and needed to press the studs out in order to replace the rotors, obviously looking at your pics thats not the case, so why are people saying you need a puller and a press??? or was that for dually trucks thats you need to do that????

i got a '03 2500HD SRW that needs rear rotors real soon so i need to know if i can do this at home or have to do it at work with the press!

thanks!
Old 06-09-2006, 09:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cuttin_Up
Diesel Fanatic

Very nice! Thanks for taking the time to post that.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
flagstaff
Diesel Starter

No press or puller needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr1216 View Post
Nice write up, BUT i have one big question! i have seen a bunch of posts that said you needed a puller to remove the rear rotors and needed to press the studs out in order to replace the rotors, obviously looking at your pics thats not the case, so why are people saying you need a puller and a press??? or was that for dually trucks thats you need to do that????

i got a '03 2500HD SRW that needs rear rotors real soon so i need to know if i can do this at home or have to do it at work with the press!

thanks!
Can't speak for the duallies, but as you can see in the pictures, the rotor just slips over the studs which are pressed into the hub. Replacing the rotors will be a piece of cake. All you'll need to do is remove the wheel, remove the caliper, and slip off the rotor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in