Timken front hub grease - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010 Discuss front and rear axle, transfer case, brakes, etc. Transmission questions belong in the appropriate transmission forum below. First through fourth generation...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2016, 10:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
screaminjlew
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Timken front hub grease

This morning I called Timken bearing to ask customer service what type of grease is put in their sealed front wheel bearings, the representative told me that there non serviceable, which I already know that's what they're supposed to be but everybody is having very good luck with greasing the front hubs as part of their regular maintenance. When I asked him what type of grease all he could tell me was that it was " proprietary" he said it's just a general type of grease and that they are non serviceable. He didn't want to give out too much information and I had to explain to him that current customers we're getting much more life out of the front wheel bearings by servicing them. Just wanted to know which is the best grease that is compatible with already in there? I have some STA lube extreme red grease already in my grease gun , it is a lithium type grease would that be compatible with what's in the hubs already? Any responses are greatly appreciated Thank you Jeff

R.I.P 7/9/04-2/5/10 2004.5 LLY 2500HD EXTCAB S/B D/A 4X4 Summit White, 4 inch MBRP cat-back exhaust, Autometer sport comp pyro & boost gauges, PCV Re-route, Kennedy Airbox Mod, Nasta SS Nerf Bars, Firestone Ride Rites Airbags, Fingerstick & blocker plate mods, Pedal spring mod, and All headlight mod

NEWEST ADDITION! 2006 GMC SLT LBZ CCSB 4x4 Blocked and fingeredMagnaflow 4 inch cat-back exhaust, Edge Evolution on level 1 or 2 depending on my mood (thanx distrbd!) 18" weld wheels, BFG KO2's, 4 inch tuff country lift, custom made s/s tie rod sleeves, snugtop shell, firestone ride-rites, s/s nerf bars,fumoto valve, All on headlight mod, and upgraded transmission cooler lines, power steering cooler,cognito pitman and idler support kit Newest addition, Merchant Auto transfer case pump rub fix8: Kennedy lift pump w/ Std. Mega filter and Kennedy wire harness Transgo Jr. with Mike L. springs & Transynd..(Thanks Mike L)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2016, 10:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

I would guess any lithium based bearing grease that's good for disc brakes.

I have read alot of folks saying they grease 'em too, but I still can't imagine how the grease actually gets into where it's needed by simply pumping it into the ABS hole. I mean, won't it just get flung to the outside never making it into the actual bearing assembly? It's not like you are "packing" the bearing so I still find it hard to see the value. I would imagine you run the risk of blowing the seals more so than doing any actual good. Not judging, just trying to understand the physics. ??

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... create welfare laws to service illegals in the Home Depot parking lot... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2016, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
screaminjlew
Diesel Apprentice

Well I know I have read plenty of write ups of the benefits of greasing up and from what I have read that they are only sealed on the outside and the bearings will accept to grease. You just can't overdo it with the pumps otherwise you run the risk of blowing a seal
R.I.P 7/9/04-2/5/10 2004.5 LLY 2500HD EXTCAB S/B D/A 4X4 Summit White, 4 inch MBRP cat-back exhaust, Autometer sport comp pyro & boost gauges, PCV Re-route, Kennedy Airbox Mod, Nasta SS Nerf Bars, Firestone Ride Rites Airbags, Fingerstick & blocker plate mods, Pedal spring mod, and All headlight mod

NEWEST ADDITION! 2006 GMC SLT LBZ CCSB 4x4 Blocked and fingeredMagnaflow 4 inch cat-back exhaust, Edge Evolution on level 1 or 2 depending on my mood (thanx distrbd!) 18" weld wheels, BFG KO2's, 4 inch tuff country lift, custom made s/s tie rod sleeves, snugtop shell, firestone ride-rites, s/s nerf bars,fumoto valve, All on headlight mod, and upgraded transmission cooler lines, power steering cooler,cognito pitman and idler support kit Newest addition, Merchant Auto transfer case pump rub fix8: Kennedy lift pump w/ Std. Mega filter and Kennedy wire harness Transgo Jr. with Mike L. springs & Transynd..(Thanks Mike L)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2016, 11:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

?
?

Just messing. lol

But yea, if you're gonna do it I'd feel confident with a lithium based disc brake grease.

Btw, when I just changed out my OEM Timkens they were both leaking grease. They were still plenty wet inside I think. They were just worn (wobble). About 70,000 miles on 'em. I think it's a short life design so I replaced 'em with lifetime warranty ones anticipating replacing them again.

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... create welfare laws to service illegals in the Home Depot parking lot... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?
Old 03-08-2016, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ramblinrodney
Diesel Veteran

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Some people are on my ignore list so I'm not able to see what they post. So I don't know if this is a repost or not. This is one persons way to fill through the speed sensor and the grease he uses is Kendall Super Blue 427 grease.

You know on the more modern trucks they have unitized hubs on them? The hubs only have dust seals in them and enough grease to keep them running for a while but its set up to fail. Well, people think you cant pack them. Wrong. You can go to NAPA and buy their ...
chrome air blower with the rubber tip. All you really want is the tip. Unscrew it and put an 1/8" pipe coupler on it. Take the grease fitting off of your grease gun (hand pump grease gun not air) and thread the coupler/tip on to it. Now take your vehicle apart and pull the ABS sensor. Use Kendall Super Blue 427 grease. That looks like what is in every bearing I have taken apart. Dont mix another grease. When you get the sensor out, put the rubber tip in the sensor hole and start pumping. Now you have a seal on the inside and outside. that you need to watch for grease. Pump until you just see like a sweat coming out of the dust seal, not oozing out mind you, and stop pumping. You have to keep looking at both seals because one will let it out sooner than the other. As a rule of thumb, a 1500 takes about 32 to 36 pumps on an average, a 2500 takes anywhere from 65 to 80 pumps. Once you see the grease at the seals, Remove the rubber tip from the abs hole, rotate the hub one revolution and let the hub push out some grease thru the sensor hole. Now take a screwdriver and go in the hole, angle it so its going against the direction of rotation, till you hit the commutator inside. When you feel it, lift the screw driver up a little and rotate the hub so more grease comes up the screwdriver. Now finish cleaning the sensor hole by pulling as much grease out as you can and install the sensor. You have just packed your sealed hub. This works with any vehicle that has the abs sensor in the hub and any make.
Transgo Jr. PCV Reroute kit, Trans Line Repair Kit By Dirty Hooker Diesel,
Custom Perf/Tow Tune by Kennedy
2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L 10,500 dry weight
UAW Local 699 Retired Test Technician

Last edited by Ramblinrodney; 03-08-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

I hear ya screaminjlew. Do let me know if they last ya longer than the last set. I was on the fence if I should grease 'em when I replaced 'em. But figured since they are lifers I could be denied coverage for altering the design.

I tried searching for sound science on the topic but could only find poster opinion.

A buddy of mine that worked at a trailer company (making them) told me that he used to get tons of bad bearings brought in and that every one had a bearing buddy on it. You know, the cap you put on that has a zerk fitting for regular greasing. He said it was because people thought they were greasing their bearings by pumping it in under the cap. He swears that the only way to grease a bearing is to pack a bearing.

I don't know if it would hurt a sealed bearing to add more grease. But I really can't see how it can get into where it is needed without a true packing. ??

Last edited by mp06011999; 03-08-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
screaminjlew
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post
I hear ya screaminjlew. Do let me know if they last ya longer than the last set. I was on the fence if I should grease 'em when I replaced 'em. But figured since they are lifers I could be denied coverage for altering the design.

I tried searching for sound science on the topic but could only find poster opinion.

A buddy of mine that worked at a trailer company (making them) told me that he used to get tons of bad bearings brought in and that every one had a bearing buddy on it. You know, the cap you put on that has a zerk fitting for regular greasing. He said it was because people thought they were greasing their bearings by pumping it in under the cap. He swears that the only way to grease a bearing is to pack a bearing.

I don't know if it would hurt a sealed bearing to add more grease. But I really can't see how it can get into where it is needed without a true packing. ??

I I am mainly concerned as to which type of grease is compatible with the original factory grease currently I have STA lube extreme pressure red grease and I have A large needle tip that goes on the grease gun hose and I was going to inject the grease on each side of the reluctor wheel as to try to get it in the area of the bearings but I was not going to put too much as to create a problem with the seals

Last edited by screaminjlew; 03-08-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

The first couple of times i opened up a sealed bearing by prying out the plastic cover, I was shocked by how little grease there is inside.

I put a bunch more in, and snap the cover back on...
Whee! Dually Club Member #1109

Last edited by davester; 03-08-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
donny01tj
Glow Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaminjlew View Post
I I am mainly concerned as to which type of grease is compatible with the original factory grease currently I have STA lube extreme pressure red grease and I have A large needle tip that goes on the grease gun hose and I was going to inject the grease on each side of the reluctor wheel as to try to get it in the area of the bearings but I was not going to put too much as to create a problem with the seals
Your on the right track with an EP grease. You will definitely need the extreme pressure additives. The thing with most automotive greases you buy at the store is that they are petroleum based products. Petroleum attacks certain types of plastics. If you didn't have plastic ABS sensors in the assembly I would say use whatever EP #2 grease you like.

If you look at the MSDS sheet for Sta-Plex™ Extreme Pressure Premium Red Grease it shows petroleum at 20-30 percent.

If it were my truck I would use non-petroleum EP grease like Ultralube disc/drum brake wheel bearing grease #10333 or a product similar to it.

Also Lithium greases can be made with petroleum bases so look up the MSDS for whatever product you decide to use.

HTH

- Diamond Eye 4" QT down pipe back exhaust
- Hi idle mod
- 275+ K strong
Old 03-08-2016, 10:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
jake111
Diesel Boss

While the odds may be low that this is what they actually use, there is a Timken branded wheel bearing grease out there. I bought it on Amazon (hey, then it must be the real stuff, right? ) and squirted a little into the sensor hole when I put my new Timken hub in. I probably didn't put in nearly enough to make any difference.

TxC V2 aux radiator w/Fan (leaked after 12 yrs), engineer837 aux rad , TxC CAI, LBZ MP, Scangauge II, Nicktane aux filter head, KD lift pump, 2008 PS pump, 2011 hydroboost, Frederico Swaybars, Rancho 9000XL, Torklift StableLoads, BFG AT/KO2, Lance 835 Camper often in the bed.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in