Replace parking brake shoes in pairs - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010 Discuss front and rear axle, transfer case, brakes, etc. Transmission questions belong in the appropriate transmission forum below. First through fourth generation...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2015, 10:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kane
Glow Plug

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Replace parking brake shoes in pairs

I'm presently doing my rear brakes (replacing rotors and pads on both sides). When I removed the rear rotor on the passenger side, one of the parking brake pads just fell off its mounting plate. The drivers side parking brake pads look fine. So I'd like to replace the parking brake shoes on the passenger side: should I also replace the pads on the drivers side as well (i.e. should parking brake pads be replaced as pairs on both sides of the axle)?

Thanks!

2003 Duramax/Allison Ext'ed Cab Short box - 94,000 miles, BLACK, 4x4, 285/75/16 BFG's on stock rims, LineX bedliner, cold-weather grille, cranked T-Bars, swiss-cheesed airbox, t-case fix, all-lights and high-idle mod, 2006-style leveled towing mirrors

Last edited by Kane; 09-10-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2015, 02:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

No. If the pads look fine and are adjusted properly, it's not a problem.

Can you see why the pads on the passenger side went bad [as in, why did it fall off]?

Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2015, 11:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kane
Glow Plug

I would imagine due to the truck's age is the reason they fell apart... the truck was built in late-2002 and this is its first brake job. I have only put on about 110,000 miles since it was new. I went ahead and installed new rotors and pads on all 4 corners following member Heymccall's brake advice.

I bought new parking brake shoes at Napa and they came with gear for both sides, so I went ahead and changed both sides out. Just for the record (and anyone searching the forum in the future): the parking brake shoes on a 2003 Silverado 2500/3500HD CAN be changed without removing the rear axle hub and seal. It is a bit of fiddling, but is most certainly faster and cheaper than changing axle seals that are still fine.

Cheers!
2003 Duramax/Allison Ext'ed Cab Short box - 94,000 miles, BLACK, 4x4, 285/75/16 BFG's on stock rims, LineX bedliner, cold-weather grille, cranked T-Bars, swiss-cheesed airbox, t-case fix, all-lights and high-idle mod, 2006-style leveled towing mirrors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2015, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

Since I doubt you can buy just one set of shoes, why not replace both?

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown
Old 09-12-2015, 01:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
TheBac
Bac To The Future

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Rock Auto sells parking brake shoes for CHEAP! Just do both sides.

Id bet you've got a partially-seized parking brake cable holding that one side out, or you had a wheels seal fail and contaminate the pb pads.

"BBT" -- 2003 GMC 2500HD CC/SB 4x4 - 12.14 @ 111.15
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Cruzer" -- 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the DD

Marlene (Molly) Bacon -- 1936 - 2019 -- RIP Mom
You're missed both at home and on the piano

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Reality is a matter of perspective.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kane
Glow Plug

Both rear axle seals are good to go... the cable's status requires more pondering with beer haha!
Old 09-13-2015, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
TheBac
Bac To The Future

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I just did both wheel seals and the pass side pb cable. I got lucky to catch it early, as the pb pads were still ok. But, I did research their cost on RockAuto.

PB cable was easy to test (hit pedal, look at cables for compression -- release pedal, check if they both opened back up fully), not expensive, and relatively easy to replace....except for bonehead me reattaching it to the front splitter secondly instead of firstly. I had to get creative with that (involved a pair of vicegrips, a clamp and a pair of pliers). But its done.....

"BBT" -- 2003 GMC 2500HD CC/SB 4x4 - 12.14 @ 111.15
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Cruzer" -- 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the DD

Marlene (Molly) Bacon -- 1936 - 2019 -- RIP Mom
You're missed both at home and on the piano

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Reality is a matter of perspective.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in