Help! – Rotors Will Not Come Off! - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010 Discuss front and rear axle, transfer case, brakes, etc. Transmission questions belong in the appropriate transmission forum below. First through fourth generation...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

By using your homemade puller WITHOUT having removed the 4 15mm headed bolts on the inside, you have destroyed the wheel bearing assy, and by beating out the studs with the rotor still on the truck, you've also broken the WSS (Wheel speed sensor). If there is a bright side, the sensor comes with the new bearing assy.

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...84&postcount=2

The secret is that the rotor and hub bearing assembly must be removed together as a unit.

A) Take the big nut off the front axle stub

2) Remove caliper bracket and caliper (21mm or 13/16") and support from the frame so as to not damage the hose

c) Unplug the ABS wire at the frame rail, unclip the wire from the tubular control arm, and unbolt the wire bracket near the hub assy (13mm or 1/2")

IV) In your case, remove the dually hub extender

5) Remove 4 hub inboard mounting bolts (15mm, USE a quality 6 pt socket)

f) Now install your homemade puller and pull the assembly off and set the hub and rotor assembly onto two 2x4 fours to where the hub is floating in the air and the studs are pointing up
G) Drive the studs out, taking care to orient the hub so as to NOT drive a stud through the plastic WSS
viii) Turn the assembly over and lift the hub bearing out of the rotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association

Last edited by heymccall; 10-20-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 08:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
supracnine
Clutch

Yes I agree remove the axle nut first. I believe i have the same rotors as you on my truck and i just did this project about 6 months ago, I pretty sure you need to remove the 4 or so bolts on the back side of your assembly and you should be able to remove it without to much of a hassle.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
supracnine
Clutch

^^ yes that is correct its all coming back to me now i pounded my studs out once the rotor/hub were off of the truck. i feel your pain tho i spent 4 days on my stuff had to rebuild the calipers to, i snaped my rotor as well just not in the same location.
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2009, 08:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Spitz
Diesel Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Here, hopefully these pictures help a little. This isnt the same exact setup as yours, your rotors are captured behind the bearing hub, but the same steps apply to removing the wheel bearing, you just have a few more steps afterwards. https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71798
Old 10-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
hamholfarm
Low Boost

Thank You - Heymccall, Spitz, and supracnine!!!

With your directions I was finally able to get the driver’s side wheel bearing assembly off of the truck. I can’t thank you enough for your help.

I cleaned the area where the axle shaft sits, I did not use any solvents or liquids, only dry cloths. (picture attached)

Next question: Before I reassemble the new parts, do I need to do anything to the axle or the bearing or seal, like lubricate? Is there anything I need to do to the new wheel bearing assembly before I install it, like lubricate?

Side Note: I have the four book set of the official GM 1998 C/K Truck Service Manual, and all it says for what I just went through is: Remove Rotor (look in book for exact wording). Go figure.

Thank you again for helping me through this situation,

Chip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg All Clean.JPG (60.9 KB, 105 views)
Old 10-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

A light coat of grease or neversieze on all the shiny metal where the hub assy goes back in (so it'll come apart later). The splines can be left dry.

If your not using a press to put the studs back in, be sure to recheck the adapter nuts after 100 miles or so.

The big axle nut is 150lb/ft IIRC.
Quote:
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Old 10-23-2009, 08:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamholfarm View Post
Side Note: I have the four book set of the official GM 1998 C/K Truck Service Manual, and all it says for what I just went through is: Remove Rotor (look in book for exact wording). Go figure.
Read the OTHER front rotor removal instructions. Your manuals should cover the easy 1500 fall off rotors AND the harder 2500/ 3500 series.
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in