CV Boot torn, can you replace just the boot? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010 Discuss front and rear axle, transfer case, brakes, etc. Transmission questions belong in the appropriate transmission forum below. First through fourth generation...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
daddydune
Heat Sink

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

CV Boot torn, can you replace just the boot?

I've got a 2004 2500HD with a torn outer CV boot. Dealer said I needed to replace both axle/CV/boots both sides. Can you purchase just the boots? Is this a dificult task and once it is torn, you really don't know how much stuff gets in. They also said I may need to replace wheel bearings or hub bearings. How long should these things last?
Where is a good place to get boots or the whole assembly?
Has anyone seen any R&R instructions or photos on this forum?
Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
tpitt
Glow Plug

At work we bought a boot kit from the dealer. (Large boot) You have to have a special tool to use it. (Its not a normal band.) Not a tool you can get just anywhere. We ended up getting a band from Napa, and tools. I actually believe you are better off just getting rebuilt axles. Just make sure they are not Chinese.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
DMAX500
Glow Plug

Midwest Smokers Member

How much are you paying for the boots? there is a parts store around my area that have the whole new cv shaft ready for you to install for around $60. It takes me about an hour (give or take) to put a new shaft in. They have been holding up very well to the power i have.
DRIVER: 07 Classic LBZ CC/SB LT Black 4X4, EFI, Trans-go jr., Modded intake, DE downpipe, 4in. MBRP exhaust, Profab egr delete, LB7 up-pipe, BD manifold, PCV reroute, Banks driver side boost tube, Sleeves, 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 18" Diamo 17 Karat Black, Air bags, B&W hitch, RS9000X's with front extenders, Pioneer in-dash DVD, Double ten in. rockfords.

1969 Chevrolet K10, 460hp/540tq 402BBC, Chili Pepper red, 07 silverado seats, 20 gallon under box fuel cell, 33X12.5X15 BFG mud terrain's on MT classic II's. For sale!
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
daddydune
Heat Sink

DMAX500, my dealer wanted almost $80 for a boot and $656 for complete axle kit per side. Sounds like it's not a major project and for those cost a replacement axle kit is a good way to go. Do you know what the brand is?
Thanks for your help.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
duramaxdiesel
Diesel Expert

$60??! Wow are you serious?! That's a great price. Might contact you to get their number and have a couple shipped my way.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
dfs
Diesel Fanatic

Hey Daddy why are they telling you to replace both sides if only one side is ripped also why all the other stuff the wheel bearings go between 100 and 150 thousand your stealer is sending up red flags to me
drilled and slotted front @ back

93 cobra 22000 orig miles bought new
Old 08-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
daddydune
Heat Sink

My guess is, if one side is bad might as well do both? I have 115,000 miles on it, so maybe wheel bearings are something else it will need while i'm in there. One mechanic told me the wheel bearings were about $250 each.
Thanks.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
chickenhunterbob
Diesel Nut

You can replace the boot only if that is all that is wrong, I did both my outers this spring, boot was somewhere between 20 and 30 bucks or so, don't remember exactly, comes with bands and a tube of grease.

You also need a special crimping tool for the band, I think they cost about 18 bucks, all this at NAPA.

Bit of stuff to take apart ot get to it, but is no different whether you change the axle or remove to replace the boot. My truck is older, but I had to separate the tie rods and remove the sway bar to get the axle out. Newer trucks may be different, but I think the IFS are similar.

You will need instructions to change the boot, a CV joint is like a puzzle, and must be dissembled and reassembled in a specific order, nothing scary about it, but I doubt it is something I would have ever figured out on my own.

I used a Haynes manual, has pictures and description of how it comes apart, but I'm sure a google search would also provide all sorts of instructions and pictures.

Now driving 2008 Lariat 6.4 twin turbo diesel, 82,000 km. Many horsepowers

RIP @474084km - 1994 K1500 Silverado ext cab, shortbox
6.5 turbo diesel, L56 stock, 98 air box , F intake, GM-8
Over 470,000 km
599 block, D-Tech PMD on 5288 IP
Delphi injectors at 294,100km
LT265 75 R16 E Goodyear Wranger silent armour Pro Grade
Firestone air ride
Bushwacker fender flares
Old 08-21-2009, 01:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
daddydune
Heat Sink

Thanks for the input. I called NAPA and a rebuilt axle is like $60. Then I found a place that can get new not rebuilt axles for $125 and install for $85. I'm going to just have them do it. I'll spend way more than an hour messing with it getting the new part, taking back the core, etc. I'll just have a beer and let a professional deal with it this time.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Mike_S
Diesel Pro

Idaho Turbo Diesels Member

be prepared if you decide to change your front wheel unit bearings...they average about $600 each.

The General:
1994 EXT Cab, SB, 1500 HD, 350 SBC, Whole Buncha $hit And Its Still Not Fast. Hmmm...Maybe Its Cause Its As Tall As A House...

(I do all my own work...Just can't trust anyone else not to screw something up)

Good, Fast, Cheap...You Can Only Have Two!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in