Diesel Place banner

Rear brake self adjuster over adjusting

972 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  diesel clatter 
#1 ·
Truck is a 99' 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban. I just went thru the front and rear brakes replacing everything. Rear brakes got new shoes, had drums turned at the dealer, new wheel cylinders and hardware kit (springs and pins) both from the dealer. About a week later I noticed the right rear tire locking up on gravel under light braking. A week after that I was going down the highway and noticed a vibration. I pulled over and did a walk-around and noticed a hot smell at the right rear. Right rear drum was much hotter than left. I climbed under and backed off the star wheel about 40 clicks. Vibration went away. A week later I noticed the right rear locking up on gravel again. I now back off the star wheel every week as a preventive measure.

I pulled off the rear drums and tried to figure out why the right side is overadjusting. No luck, everything appears to be operating correctly. Anyone have a suggestion?

#2 ·
That got me curious. Years ago, Dad had a Power Wagon that had the exact same problem. Destroyed drums repeatedly ~ never could discern the cause tho

#3 ·
Is there any possibility that things got put back together such that the adjusters work when the brakes are applied going foreward (on the early Camaro race cars with drum rears, they were set up to adjust going foreward)? Normally, they adjust when brakes are applied in reverse. It is then necessary to go foreward to reset the adjust feature, then back up again to go another click.

#4 ·
I had that happen on an '87 burb we had. The vibration is caused by the drum getting hot and going out of round. On mine, the emergency brake cable was hanging a bit on one side. Ended up having to change one rear cable and the front cable. It was alot older than yours however. Plus, my adjuster wasn't too tight like yours.

#5 ·
Mine appears to adjust anytime the brake pedal is depressed moving or not. With the vehicle off and stopped, I can hear the adjusters working while pressing the brake pedal. I can do the same with the the thing up on jack stands with the drums removed. A buddy recommended putting the original wheel cylinder back on the side that is acting up but I can't see how a wheel cylinder could be causing this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.