Sharp turn wheel hop/slide - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010 Discuss front and rear axle, transfer case, brakes, etc. Transmission questions belong in the appropriate transmission forum below. First through fourth generation...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007, 12:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
kaotik
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Sharp turn wheel hop/slide

This has happened several times to me in the past month and it is starting to worry me, it seems just randomly when i make a tight turn moving in either forward or reverse one side or the other of the duals drag around the turn. This seems to happen at low speeds everytime. it is very noticable inside the cab as i can hear the tires squal and can feel the tires seem to hop. is there anyothers out there that have experienced this and is their something to worry about or am i just worrying to much.

PS i know this is a drive train question but it seems this would have something to do specifically with the duallys.

2006 Grand Junction 33 ft Fifth Wheel camper ~ Made by Thor ~3 Slides.

Member #458 3500 Dually Club
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2007, 12:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
66flh
Diesel Ace

One tire HAS to turn faster than the other when going around a radius.
How severe is it?Could it be your differential is locking?

Member#1 "SouthernTenantFarmersUnion" Club!
2004 LB7 Quad Cab. 7" lift with 37" Hankook M/Ts. PPE Hot+2
"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2007, 01:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
diesel625
Diesel Boss

you locker is probably staying engaged. my 98 isn't a dually, but with posi-trac, it squeals around all turns at all speeds and in either direction.

http://DMAXSTORE.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2007, 09:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
kaotik
Diesel Fanatic

well when it does drag it leaves a rubber strip down like i just did a small burn out. oh plus i never noticed this untill after i switched my rear end fluid over to amsoil. could that have anything to do with it? the truck is 2 wheel drive so would that mean it has limited slip where both spin at the same as a 4wd truck would? thanks for helping with the subject it is greatly appriciated.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
rockman20

I haven't dealt with anything new, but I have dealt with some old muscle cars with limited slip rears and I know that they are pretty fussy about the fluid that you put in the rear. Needs to be to their specs for the clutch packs in there.

I would say that there is an issue with your limited slip rear. Sounds like something isn't engaging. No idea what they put in these trucks if it is a locker type or clutch type, but that sounds like your culprit.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Dually
Diesel Kingpin

Send a message via AIM to Diesel Dually Send a message via Yahoo to Diesel Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotik;1814026;
This has happened several times to me in the past month and it is starting to worry me, it seems just randomly when i make a tight turn moving in either forward or reverse one side or the other of the duals drag around the turn. This seems to happen at low speeds everytime. it is very noticable inside the cab as i can hear the tires squal and can feel the tires seem to hop. is there anyothers out there that have experienced this and is their something to worry about or am i just worrying to much.

PS i know this is a drive train question but it seems this would have something to do specifically with the duallys.
Rear End is the same...lets see if we can get more exposure over in Drive Train.

'02 Chebby CCLB 3500 D/A LS 4x4: See my garage for mods
Member #34 of the Dually Club
Click HERE to Search the Diesel Place!
Clich HERE to edit or add to your signature!
Click HERE for Vendor Information!
Click HERE for Dealer Feedback
Old 06-09-2007, 10:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tolliwacker
Diesel Mythbuster

Armed Forces Club Member

Sounds like the fluid may be the culprit, don't know why, but you say it started when you changed it, so your dif is not unlocking and causing the problem which you know already, so go back to the recommended fluid from the factory and see if it goes away.

I used the Mobil Synthetic from AutoZone and mine is doing fine, but I do not have a Dually, but I think they are still G80 Diffs aern't they?
2003 Crewcab 4X4 with the EGR Valve (Blocked), Killed the Cat, and straight piped the muffler, boost and EGT Gauges, Merchant Automotive T-case pump upgrade installed, Curb Feelers, Fuzzy Dice, and Billet Grill. This truck is like a sore pecker, I just can't beat it!
Remember, it ain't broke till you can't fix it anymore!
2 Things I fear for my Guns, Rust and Politicians...I can control the Rust, I need help with the Politicians!
"The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it."
When the people fear the government it is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people it is LIBERTY!

20 Year member of Uncle Sam's Finest, USAF Retired!
US Constitution in English, Bill of Rights in English, If you do not want to speak English, feel free to return to the Craphole of a Country you left behind.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
ockgator
Diesel Champ

Truck posis DO NOT use posi additives, cars do.... If you pop off your rear cover see if the teeth on the left side gear are all intact, same with the governor gear... if some of the teeth are broken it'll lock up in a turn

35+ year veteran of the "underhood" wars, 13 at Chevy dealer Now with my own shop

It's still great to be a Florida Gator

1996 2006 2008 Football Chompions
2006 2007 Men's BB Chompions
2014 and 2015 Women's College World Series Chompions
2017 College World Series Chompions
Old 06-10-2007, 11:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
kaotik
Diesel Fanatic

sorry had a busy weekend.. didnt get much of a chance to check out your replies... i will try to get around to changing it back to oem spec fluid this week to see if changes anything.. if not ill have to round up a pyro guage to take it to the stealer.ill make that 50k truck and warrenty worth while. anyone around the north texas area know a good dealer to have work done at just in case?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in