Diesel Place banner

Offset vs scrub radius

Question: 
849 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  LRJ 
#1 ·
Hello folks. I've been pondering getting some aftermarket wheels for my Sierra 3500HD. Not looking to do anything radical with the rubber, maybe up to 275/70 18. There are lots of threads out there regarding fitting larger tires but not much about wheels. I've found it written that you should try and find wheels with an offset close to that of the manufacturer's spec, but when I look there is nothing out there with a +44 and very little with anything even up to +25. I found excellent reference material at "wheel-size.com" showing just what happens when you alter the offset without changing much in the tire size.

The question of the day is: How critical is the scrub radius? If I were to go to a zero offset 9" wheel with 275/70 18s the scrub radius ends up at roughly 42mm. How much will this effect the tire life and handling characteristics of the truck? Probably overthinking things, but my curiosity has gotten the best of me. :confuzeld Thanks in advance!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.