Diesel Place banner

How big of a tire can I go?

Question: 
1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  cptdondo 
#1 ·
Hello all! Its time to replace the dry rotted tired on the 1ton '95 G30. Does anyone have any idea how big I can go? The main reason for replacement is the dry rot but I figured I can go with a larger size and drop my highway RPMs down a little.

Currently I have 225/75r16 (factory recommended size) I am looking at a set of 235/80r16s they are 1.5 inches taller in total diamater. Is there any potential downside to going with this size? I understand the speedo will be off 4-5 mph at around 60, anything besides this? 95% of the time this vehicle is on the highway.

As always any input is appreciated!

#3 ·
You might want to split the difference and go with a 245/75R16. Best bet might be to find a used 235/85R16 and mount it on a front wheel and check for clearance.

#4 ·
Hey D.camilleri! Thanks for the response. I will try to look for 245/75 tire to try out. Would you recommend a hwy tire or is there a benefit to the All terrains for those rare occasions I find myself on wet grass?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.