Diesel Place banner

Need new tires, best off road traction plus good towing tire

7K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  D.Camilleri 
#1 ·
I’m looking for a new set a tread for my LBZ. I want something fairly meaty with a decent tread life as well as something I can tow with. I know I’m asking for a unicorn but has anyone found anything out there that comes close? I run 285 75 16’s
Thanks

#2 ·
DO NOT get BFG all terrains. They are garbage. I had a set of firestone destination a/t tires that I really liked, but I only had about 300 miles on them before I sold the truck.

#3 · (Edited)
Hankook RF10 (Dynapro ATM). Got a fleet of them for construction. Only have one with the new RF11, which, unlike the RF10, has the mountain/ snow flake designation.

Ironically, a year round favorite here is the Hankook RW11 winter tire. We run those year round, and we tow with all of them. They all last 32k to 38k miles (only got 1k miles on a set of RF11 tires, though.

All my Cooper AT3 tires end up rock drilled :(
Mastercraft MSR work well but I can never get the centers to wear even, and usually only give 25k miles on my diesel 3500s.

All the tires listed do very well in construction site mud, but, surprisingly, the RW11, with wheel spin, outgoes the RF10s. But, RW11 are only available in LT265/75R16.

#4 ·
Discount Tire has a good selection of 285/75R16 tires that should fit your needs. Which one would be best depends on your priorities as all tires are a product of compromise.

We would be happy to help you choose if you like, just send us a PM.

Here is a link to all the 265/75R-16 tires at Discount Tire Direct plus their Memorial Day Sale is good until 5-27-19.

265/75R-16 Tires | Discount Tire Direct

#8 ·
Pro Comp is made by Cooper and I've run 2 sets of 37" Pro Comp A/T on my previous 07' Silverado gasser.
Never had any issues with them..

Reactions: firestopper
#9 ·
You're not one of those guys that runs 285s on 6.5" wide wheels, are you?

Reactions: 97chevor
#12 ·
I just installed another set of Cepek Trail Country EXP 3 days ago, this set was in 285/75R16, tires balance good and look meaty, not a super wide tread either. I have about 10 sets of these running around this year including a set on my personal truck and nothing but good from them. Relatively quiet on the highway, good wet and snow traction and clean out good in the mud. The best part is the price, very reasonable.

#22 ·
To the OP, how are you liking your new tires?

#26 ·
I have just about 5,000 miles on my set now and no complaints. The tread has a high silica compound, so it should help on hard packed snow. I ran these in some snow conditions this spring and they did well. I will predict that as these tires get more exposure, the price will go up. Right now they are the least expensive made in US tire I sell and I think they are 40 to 50 dollars a tire under priced. Get them while the getting is good.

#27 · (Edited)
Good to know about the hard pack snow! As for the price I was thinking the same thing... they are a cheap tire for how meaty yet quiet they are in addition to the 45,000 mile tread wear warranty.... the only thing that comes close that I can think if is Goodyear Duratracs and those are almost $80 more per tire!

#29 ·
I just sold my first set of Cepeks that were on my 2017 3500, they were a 285/65R18. At 30,000 miles they were worn even and still had 13/32nds of tread. They handled towing without any issues at all. Probably one of the best towing tires I have been around. I liked them well enough that I bough another set in 295/70R18 and only have about 1k on them but I still like them. They start with 18.5 32nds of tread depth and though they aren't silent, they aren't super loud either. I must be getting old, because my mud tires are Cooper Stt Pros in 285/65R18 and I have a hard time putting up with the noise and they aren't really that bad.

#31 ·
I have sold a lot of the Cooper AT3 xlt and it seems that my customers come back often for more tires...........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.