Diesel Place banner

Tire recommendations

LMM: 
6K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Twin540 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Gentlemen -

I'm looking for some tire advice. My truck currently has 285-70/17 BFG KO2 tires. I've been less than pleased with them for a variety of reasons; premature wear, weak and torn sidewalls, and difficulty in balancing. Regardless its time for new tires.

I'm looking at options that are the same size, and offer more traction, so I'm pretty much looking at aggressive AT tires and then Mud tires with some spinning. I do drive on the highway, but also need off-road traction in snow and mud environments.

I'm looking at:

Toyo M/T - great reviews but between $366 and $401 each!!
Yokohama Geolander MT - $270 not sure of quality - no reviews
Maxxis Razr MT - $270 with pretty good reviews

What have you all done? I'm sure everyone on this forum has had good and bad experiences. I'm hoping some are willing to share.

Many thanks, Aaron

See less See more
#2 ·
Thread relocated over to "Wheels & Tires" for more appropriate responses

:thumb:

#3 ·
Take a look at the new Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP made by cooper, or if you want more of a mud tire the Cooper STT Pro.

Reactions: ata9977
#4 · (Edited)
Aaron,

The Yokohama Geolandar G003 and Toyo Open Country M/T are solid tires depend on your needs. Discount Tire carry s these and many others in this size. I've been running the Yokohama Geolandar G003 tires on my FJ Cruiser in the E rated tires for a couple of years with good results.

If we can help you choose your next set of tires please let us know.

#5 ·
From Discount Tire Direct: Cooper Stt Pro 224.00 I am running these as my traction tires right now, great tire.

From Tirebuyer.com, Cepek Trail Country EXP, 191.00, this is my second set of tires to save my mudders and a bit quieter to keep my wife happy when towing my 5er.

I also have some customers running Falken Wildpeak M/T with good results, around 225.00

Goodyear Duratracs are a solid all around tire too, great snow performance, I run these at work on my plow trucks. 277+-

I run Mickey Thompson MTZ on my Jeep and have run many sets in the past, great traction tire, good wear. Mickey Thompson and Cepek are made by Cooper.

Toyo M/T's are great tires, but over priced and very heavy.

FYI, I own a small tire shop and I have been selling tires for over 30 years, and I run what I sell. I have run almost every major brand of A/T and M/T on the market and I very rarely wear out a set of tires. I run them long enough to see what I like and what I don't and then I sell them so I can try something else.

#6 ·
Now it gets complicated. I nearly went with the Yokohamas at $280, but just found Toyo Mts on sale for $300. All things being equal, would you go with Toyos? I have yet to see a complaint on them outside of cost. Oh, and they are heavy...

#7 · (Edited)
I have nothing bad to say about the Toyo's, they are a good tire, if you can swing the price, go for them. FYI, there is a huge mark up on Toyo tires, I just looked at my cost and my normal selling price is quite a bit below 300.00, but I also checked all the on line prices and they are high. A really great tire that I probably didn't mention before is the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ, I have run a lot of these and I would pick them every time over the Toyo for traction. They have a 3 ply sidewall and have always lasted well for me. Tire buyer has them for around 278.00 with free shipping.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've been happy with Firestone Destination MT2. Be careful with those; some only have a C loadrating depending on the size.

I've also run General Grabber ATX and was very happy with those. The Generals were my summer tires and the Destination were my winter tires.

I'm looking at Kanati Mud Hogs as they come in the size I need and a price that's hard to beat. Good reviews, too.

#9 ·
I am currently running Toyo M/T's, 285-75/16. I have put 36k miles on them so far and easily have over 5k left. I rotate ervery 4k and keep the pressures unloaded 55psi front and 45psi rear. Great traction, definitely some noise, but it's hard to find a MT that's not loud. They are heavy, makes for a not so fun rotation when each tire/wheel is over 70 lbs. I have no complaints, but I will try something else when the time comes. I just like trying out new stuff.

#10 · (Edited)
#11 · (Edited)
#12 ·

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.