Question: Best 10 ply All terrain tires - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Wheels & Tires
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Wheels & Tires Discuss wheels & tires.
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2018, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sraney
Heat Sink

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Best 10 ply All terrain tires

Iíve got a 2005 3/4 ton duramax. I know this has probably been asked many times but I do know as the years go by, tire reliability changes. Last yearís model that was the best isnt the case for this year. I need a new set on my truck. 285/65r18 E rated and just wanted to know:
Which last the longest?
Which is best for moederate off road use? (I.e. gravel roads, muddy dirt roads, wet grass)
Which is quieter on road?
Iím considering Toyo Open Country A/T llís, Nitto Terra Grappler G2ís, and General tire Grabber A/Tís. What are yíalls thoughts?

Last edited by OkDually; 10-28-2018 at 01:39 PM. Reason: prefix/sig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2018, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
TheBac
Bac To The Future

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

https://tirereviewsandmore.com/top-1...terrain-tires/

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...dClar=Crew+Cab

"BBT" -- 2003 GMC 2500HD CC/SB 4x4 - 12.14 @ 111.15
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Cruzer" -- 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the DD

Marlene (Molly) Bacon -- 1936 - 2019 -- RIP Mom
You're missed both at home and on the piano

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Reality is a matter of perspective.

Last edited by TheBac; 10-28-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2018, 03:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sraney
Heat Sink

I’ve looked at many of these review sites before I posted. I looked at old post on multiple forum sites also. The sites that give you reviews on specific tires aren’t based on E rated/ 10 ply tires. I made this post to get an idea of what others are running on their rigs and their personal opinions so I can draw a conclusion from. I’ve ran Toyos, Generals, and BFG’s on 1/2 ton trucks with good results but 3/4’s are different and finding a review website that’s specific to E rated tires is just non existent..
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2018, 04:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
TheBac
Bac To The Future

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

The TireRack chart is listing E rated tires. Same with the other TireReview, but both would be applicable to either P or LT tire classes. I have trusted both when I have shopped for tires in the past for all my cars and trucks (I buy for 6 vehicles). They are usually accurate in their assessments.

I do a hell of a lot of research before buying all my tires, as every car/driver/type are different so what works for one wont work for another. I feel asking others opinions about tires is like asking their opinions on oil...everyone has their favorite that may or may not work for your application/style.

I would have added the Hankook RF10 ATm and the old Bridgestone Revo 2 to the lists as two of the best A/T tires on the road.
https://tirereviewsandmore.com/hanko...-rf10-reviews/
Nothing wrong with the sidewalls on these tires. Ive run two sets and never had an issue with weak cornering or waffling down the road. They are quiet until they wear down to nothing. I havent found any situation they couldnt handle, either.
https://tirereviewsandmore.com/bridg...evo-2-reviews/
Not sure if these are still available or not, but they were always top rated.

Oh well, tried to help.

"BBT" -- 2003 GMC 2500HD CC/SB 4x4 - 12.14 @ 111.15
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Cruzer" -- 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the DD

Marlene (Molly) Bacon -- 1936 - 2019 -- RIP Mom
You're missed both at home and on the piano

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Reality is a matter of perspective.

Last edited by TheBac; 10-28-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
97chevor
Diesel Boss

But he needs a tire that does not spin the rear wheels of a front heavy diesel on wet grass....Where are those ratings?

That damn Tire Rack, post free shipping on there tires, all they did is add $40 to a tire. Not sure if I can save anymore going and picking them up.
2013 LT CC & Chassis with 9' Hillsboro Aluminum flatbed - over 82,000 miles

Favorite book : The Richest Man in Babylon

Last edited by 97chevor; 10-28-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sraney
Heat Sink

I greatly appreciate any help I can get. You said you buy for 6 vehicles and you research heavily before you buy. I am no different than you other than I don’t have but 3 vehicles to buy tires for but only one that takes an E rated tire. I’ve worked on so many diesels that I can’t even tell you how many it is. I’ve rebuilt Allison’s, New process/ new venture, etc. Last week I put pistons in a Cummins but I’ve never owned a diesel before. I can look at reviews until I’m blue in the face and the only reason I wanted people’s personal opinion is some reviews negate others, so in the end, how can I trust reviews driven by tire selling company’s. Or some off the wall review sight. I like hearing multiple opinions from sources who have tried the products and report what they see. Some call it dumb, I call it a different revenue to come to a conclusion. I haven’t seen reviews on E rated tires and really appreciate the links. I just put rims on from a 2012 Chevrolet duramax, hence the reason why I need an 18” rim size...
Old 10-28-2018, 08:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
D.Camilleri
Lead Moderator
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

I am a tire junky, I have been selling tires for 30 years as a part time job. For what it is worth, I have spent most of the last couple of days researching what tires I want next. Since I sell tires to my friends, if I make a bad suggestion they might not be back again, so I stick with what works. What works for one person though doesn't work for all. First, summer time requires tires that hold air and aren't dry rotted so they don't blow out. Winter time and the wet season sets things apart. For where I live, snow and ice traction are very important to me. I tend to run studded tires. Currently I am running Goodyear Duratracs on my personal truck as well as my work truck in 275/70R18. I have a brand new set ready to go on my work truck this week that I just got done studding. Studs aren't for everyone, but I have to drive a lot for work and most of it is done towing a 28' enclosed trailer. I also use my truck to plow snow. The Duratracs have done a pretty good job. On my personal truck, I usually only run a set of tires for one winter and then I sell them, so my personal Duratracs are currently for sale. So what do I replace them with? I sell a lot of Toyo A/TII's, and a lot of Hankook Dyna Pro ATM RF10's, I like both. I also sell a fair number of BFG KO's. The roads in Wyoming are chip sealed which is like driving on crushed glass glued to the roads, it eats tires at a much quicker rate than other parts of the country. I am not a big fan of Nitto's due to some of the quickest wearing tires I have experienced. So I will not recommend the Terra Grappler or the Trail Grappler which is an M/T for diesel truck applications due to fast tread wear. Lately I have been selling more Cooper tires which include the A/T3 and the ST Maxx and STT Pro. Cooper has just changed the A/T3 to a new version with more siping, but I have only sold one set, so I don't know how well they will hold up. As far as the older A/T3's, I thought they wore premature for a tire with a 55k warranty. The ST Maxx seems to be one of the better lasting Hybrid designs, but they are also in the higher price range. I recommend the Toyo A/TII and Hankook ATM the most though. For myself, I hate getting stuck and I have high expectations of my tires. On my short list right now is the Mastercraft CXT which is similar to the Cooper ST Maxx and very similar to the Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 the only unknown is how long they will last. I just recommended this tire to a buddy of mine in Montana and he just has 6 put on his 2015 Duramax dually, so hopefully he will give me a report soon. Other tires I have liked on my Duramax trucks have been the Cepek Fun Country, long lasting and good traction. I also like the Hankook RW11 snow tire and that is what I run on my wifes Tahoe with studs, great tire. I have had poor results with BFG KO's on diesel trucks, but I liked their traction. I don't have experience with the new KO2 on diesel trucks yet. I have always been a fan of General A/T's with the newest being the ATX, same center tread as before with a more open shoulder lug, this tire would probably be on my short list also. I also have a soft spot for M/T's and the Mickey Thompson MTZ and the Cooper STT Pro are two of my favorites. Another tire I will not recommend is the Michelin A/T2, they wear out too fast and traction is non existant. On the other hand, the Michelin LTX or the new Michelin Defender are super quiet and last a long time.
2017 3500HD CCLB Black on Black LTZ Loaded L5P, Banks Derringer with I dash, Ranch Hand bumper with 18K superwinch talon, Curt 20k puck hitch, 60 gallon aluminum transfer tank with electric pump, Onan Quiet Diesel 5500 for extra weight in the bed, Cooper STT PRO 285/65R18 and Vision Manic wheels. 2nd set of tires and wheels, Cepek Trail Country EXP 285/65R18 on Ultra Predator II Black/Machined 18x9

2018 Solitude 310GK fifth wheel with a 12' Haulmark tag trailer to haul toys in.

1997 Jeep TJ, Currie 8.8 high pinion axles front and rear with ARB air lockers, 4.56, 5 on 5.5 with warn hub kit, Atlas II transfer case with Klune V doubler, 4 inch Currie Lift and 35x12.50x15 Mickey Thompson MTZ on 15x10 Mickey Thompson wheels, Ramsey 9500 winch, hydraulic ram assist steering, on board welder and on board air, custom aluminum fuel tank.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
D.Camilleri
Lead Moderator
Diesel Veteran

8905931489310_Falken_WildpeakAT3W_19656_jpg.jpg

8914667896862_Toyo_OpenCountryATIIXtreme_20543_jpg.jpg

8916754726942_Mastercraft_CourserCXT_20595_jpg.jpg

8935162347550_Cooper_DiscovererSTMaxx_8023_jpg.jpg

8958596743198_HankookDynaProATm_2097_7597_jpg.jpg

8986114818078_DickCepek-TrailCountry-EXP-2018_27632_png.jpg

8990178738206_Grabber-ATX-RWL_26502_png.jpg

Here are some of my recommendations, Falken A/T3, Hankook Dynapro RF10, Toyo A/T II Extreme, New Cepek Trail Country, Mastercraft CXT, Cooper ST Maxx, General ATX, Note: Cooper makes the Mastercraft and the Cepek
2017 3500HD CCLB Black on Black LTZ Loaded L5P, Banks Derringer with I dash, Ranch Hand bumper with 18K superwinch talon, Curt 20k puck hitch, 60 gallon aluminum transfer tank with electric pump, Onan Quiet Diesel 5500 for extra weight in the bed, Cooper STT PRO 285/65R18 and Vision Manic wheels. 2nd set of tires and wheels, Cepek Trail Country EXP 285/65R18 on Ultra Predator II Black/Machined 18x9

2018 Solitude 310GK fifth wheel with a 12' Haulmark tag trailer to haul toys in.

1997 Jeep TJ, Currie 8.8 high pinion axles front and rear with ARB air lockers, 4.56, 5 on 5.5 with warn hub kit, Atlas II transfer case with Klune V doubler, 4 inch Currie Lift and 35x12.50x15 Mickey Thompson MTZ on 15x10 Mickey Thompson wheels, Ramsey 9500 winch, hydraulic ram assist steering, on board welder and on board air, custom aluminum fuel tank.

Last edited by D.Camilleri; 10-28-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Sraney
Heat Sink

Thanks Camilleri. Toyo has been one I’ve been really considering. I live in central Alabama so snow is non existent. A lot of guys I know run the BFG KO2’s but not enough time has past to see how they hold up and they are pricey. I’ve ran Generals on 1/2 ton trucks and they’ve lasted longer than a their warranty. The last set I had lasted 70k miles and still had 30% tread. The duramax I have had Michelin’s on it when I bought it and they lasted a while. The previous owner rarely drove it and the belts had seperated internally on the front tires so alignment was non existent until I rotated them to the back and left them there. I’ve always heard Nittos where very soft and wore out fast but their terra grapplers have lasted on 1/2 ton trucks, glad to know they don’t last on 3/4 ton trucks..I’ve got a buddy that owns a tire shop so I’m probably going to get him to order me the tires at cost. Saves a dollar.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
D.Camilleri
Lead Moderator
Diesel Veteran

The Toyo in the size you want is an Extreme Version and they have a little more aggressive tread. Toyo has excellent quality. The big question is how much mud and type of mud you need to get through. Ask your buddy how many miles his customers are getting with their tires on diesel trucks. I don't want to say certain tires don't last, I contribute some of their early demise to the Wyoming highways where I am. Straight asphalt is much more forgiving.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in