Diesel Place banner

BFG KO2's....opinions?

27K views 51 replies 33 participants last post by  MRC 
#1 ·
I live in snow country in the Sierra and am looking at new skins this fall as the OE Michelins have about had it. POS in the snow might I add. I'm leaning towards the KO2's but have heard rumors of separations. I tow a 14K toyhauler and am wondering if any other members are doing the same. Thx.

#2 ·
I have the ko2's, I haven't had any towing issues with them, they do hold the rocks and throw me. They also seem to be getting louder as I put miles on them, 6k on them now. Don't think I would buy another set

Reactions: jblather
#3 ·
I love mine. wouldn't not buy anything else. mine are 35x12.5x18 too. they are holding up very nice. have close to 10,000 miles on them. have not drive my LB7 in the snow yet, but every truck I had them on. they are awesome. my .02

#4 ·
I still can't praise enough the year round, and snow performance, of the Hankook RW11 tire.

Reactions: D.Camilleri
#6 ·
I can not say anything bad about my KO2's. Put them on my '11 for winter tires last year and had my dealer put them on my new '18 before I took delivery.

#15 ·
If you don't rotate often enough, they cup easily, so just watch the front tires and when they start to cup/feather, cross rotate either on the front or too the rear.

Many customers have them, great tire. :bigglasse

#8 · (Edited)
I found them very slippery on wet pavement. I'm spinning when I turn corner. It might be because I have some mud on them (working off road) be I never experimented the same thing with other brand like Michelin LTX 2. I'm not impressed on how they handle on ice and snow too.

#9 ·
I have been using BFG All terrains since '94. 95% of my driving is on city roads and highways. 4 sets on 1500 4WD's and two sets on 2500 4WD Suburban, one with oversized wheels and tires. My experience has been great overall. All sets lasted well over 50,000 miles. A couple were pushing 75,000 plus. I would rate the tire a 10 in all categories except wet (rain) roads. There I would rate them an 8. I just had a set installed last week on my '16 CCSB Denali Duramax. I expect much less life out of these due to the power of the Duramax and my driving style. In an apples to apples comparison these tires are right up there with the best. Just my experience.

#10 ·
Just got a set of the KO2's late spring. Love them so far. They do love to pick rocks and toss them. I have about 1200km on them towing my 13,500lbs fifth wheel without issue. Cant comment on the snow, haven't had any since I put them on. I can tell you the previous generation BFG KO's were pretty awesome in the snow as I went through 5 or 6 sets of them on various trucks. Good all round tire for on and off road use, lots of grip and very little noise for how aggressive the treads are.

Reactions: TackleBox
#14 ·
I just can't get past the poor self cleaning in the snow, and especially clay. You know, the same feature that makes them prone to throwing rocks.
But, to each, their own.

#17 · (Edited)
I've had the KO2s for more than two years and they were worn out by about 30,000 miles.

Plus they howl loudly once they got about 10,000 miles on them.

These KO2s are not the same tires as the original KO from back in the day. The original KO ran to 49,000 miles and were quiet all the way through its life.

The KO2s blow.

#19 ·
They changed the rubber compound, according to their website. As such, it cost me one MPG, which I expected. Not buying these again.

Reactions: BradL11LML
#30 ·
I've experienced the same ~ 1 mpg fuel decrease and still can't keep the KO2's balanced.....I've been going back to Discount Tire every 1000 miles.....this last time all four tires needed 0.5 to 1,0 ounce adjustment in balance......I'm thinking of switching to Goodyear Duratracs

#20 ·
I had a few sets in 07-10. The first set I had in were great. Got close to 50k miles out of them. Great ride, great in snow and ice. When they wore out, I put another set on. Maybe 15-20k miles in, I had the tread separate. I replaced 2 with the same kind of tire, and one of those had tread separation. I decided after that I would never spend money on the BFGs again. You can get as much mileage out of a cheap tire as those. I have been happy with mastercrafts recently

Reactions: jblather
#23 ·
Probably a good choice. I have KO2's on my truck right now and I am going to have to replace them soon, I'll be lucky if I get 35k miles out of them. Going to give the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W's a try next. 55k mile warranty and cheaper than the KO2.

#24 ·
man,I'm glad I only use these for winter.will have to ask my friend how many miles he has on his 15,,he said his were needing replacing.

#25 ·
My buddy and I had the exact same truck, he had KO2's and I had Yokohama Geolanders, I followed him home from work one winter day, packed snow and ice, he was all over the road, scary to watch, I couldn't believe how poorly they did. If you think they are a good winter tire it's because you haven't tried anything else:confuzeld

#26 ·
My experience in snow and ice with KO2's has actually been pretty good. One particularly bad night (with more ice than snow on the road) with numerous other trucks and cars in the ditch I had to go up and down one hill with a 20%+ grade in 4 low a couple times to taxi some stranded folks to the bottom so they could get rides home.

That said, they did tend to wear out pretty fast on me. One set only made it about 25k miles, so I quit buying them...

#27 ·
I've had good experience with Firestone Transforce tires. They hold up very well. I'm on my 3rd set now. Get about 45k miles out of them. Not too bad for these heavy trucks. The HT's last a little longer, the AT's (2 set of them) are a good mix of performance and wear.

#28 ·
I sell all brands of tires and KO 2s would not be my first choice, get a lot of complaints about the ride not to mention the price for Goodrich tires in general are pretty high right now. Overpriced IMHO.
Toyo AT II would be my first choice for an good all terrain tire, I have the Toyo RTs on my truck and will probably put them on my '18 when it comes in. I've seen RTs with over 50K on them an ~50% tread wear.
Cooper AT3 are good tires too...
If you're not looking for an AT tire, the TransForce is a good tire.
No matter what you choose, buy what you have confidence in and can afford.

#29 ·
Last set I had was in 2015 and they were shot in 24,000 miles. I’m pretty much a fanatic when it comes to maintenance and air pressure/ rotations. My factory Michelin’s we’re toast at almost 25000 miles. Just got a set of cooper stt pro, will see how they hold up..

#31 ·
NITTO Ridge Grapplers have been my hands down favorite tire. I am running a Wrangler All-Terrian with Kevlar now for committing purposes and they have been decent at best. Nothing to write home about.

All this talk about the KO2s having mixed reviews has me torn. I think they look fantastic and seem like they would perform flawlessly but it may be the case for the Jeeps/SUVs/1/2 Ton trucks of the world. I was wanting them but alas thats how it goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.