Diesel Place banner

2015 2500 - Tire Size w/18" wheel

41K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  DmaxCC6spd 
#1 ·
I've reviewed the forums and haven't found an answer to the below question:

For a stock 2015 GMC 2500HD with 18' wheels, will either of the two below tire size/models fit on OEM wheels without rubbing?

Model: Toyo Open Country AT II
Size 1: LT 275/70/R18
Size 2: LT 285/65/R18

Both of these show as fitting on the Toyo website, but I would appreciate confirmation from those with experience.

#2 ·
SUB'D

Id like to know what sizes fit too. having trouble finding a decent studdable tire in the stock 18" size even. I don't know why they couldn't stick to a 16 or 17" option, I dunno I always preferred more meat than rim on a 4WD...

#3 ·
I have 17's on my '15s.
I run 275/70R18s on my '11-'13s. Mastercraft Courser MSR, snowflake, and studdable.

#6 · (Edited)
Not tryin to hijack but figure it applies to the same as this thread. Im looking between the general grabber AT2 275 70 18 which says is 33.2" x 11" and the Toyo M55 275 70 18 which is 33.6" x 11"
Will both fit without issue at stock height? I see people saying a 33.2" should be fine on factory wheels but how much room is there when you start going up in size? Will that .4" make the difference n start to rub anywhere?
Im choosing between these 2 because they are both studdable and Im buying specifically for a winter tire.

#7 ·
the stock 265/70 tires are 32.6x10.7
the 285/65 is 32.6x11.5. the same height but just under an inch wider. there is only about 1/2” of clearance between the control arm and stock tire. so add an inch of width (1/2” to each side), there is a good chance it will rub.
the 275/70 is 33.2x11. just over a quarter inch wider, so 1/8” each side will not rub. the height is overall just over 1/2” taller, so 1/4” each side. I doubt that will rub.

i would have the shop test fit both.

#8 · (Edited)
The tires no matter which I decide on will be special order so I doubt (knowing customer service around here) that either place will bother test fitting them for me. So I guess maybe I better stick with the 275R70/18 General Grappler to be safe. On the plus side ill save around $800 they are no doubt lighter and they are still studable and are "snowflake apprpved" but on the down side I know from experience the M55 is a rock solid reliable tire and when studded its hard to beat in winter. I have no experience with the general grabbers. I was hoping to hear the M55's would be fine but it is what it is I guess. Damn

Edit: wait its been a long day. After rereading your post. The height of the tire shouldnt matter the clearance issue is with the width you say. So if there is about a 1/2" clearance to play with compared to stock then the M55's in my chosen size state that they are 33.6" x 11" wide. This is a difference of 0.3" as compared to stock assuming your stats are correct. So lets say 1/3" wider. So if Im thinking straight that would still leave 'some' room and I should be alrite with either choice. Unless im missing somthing right now which I very well could be. Am I way off or......?

Btw my specs for the toyo m55 come from here...
bottom one on the list under sizes and specs
http://www.toyotires.ca/tire/pattern/m-55

#10 · (Edited)
I have 275 70 18 BFG KO2's on my 2015 2500hd Sierra. They dont rub at al. Didnt have to crank bars either and they ride much better than the factory michellins. One of the other guys at work put the Nitto trailgrappler MT's in the same size he likes them too.

#11 ·
On my 15 work truck, I have 275/70R18 Goodyear Duratracs with studs and they are very good in the snow. The General Grabber A/T2 is a very good snow tire with studs, much better in my opinion than the Toyo M-55. I have been selling and testing tires for over 30 years and the Toyo M-55 has been around almost that long. It lacks the serious siping to make it a great snow tire.

#12 · (Edited)
Hmm good to know but I found the M55 to be an awsome tire in winter with the 255 85 16's that are studded on my DMax. I may give these general tires a shot on this new gasser based on your thoughts though. I like the fact that the 275's in this size are studdable and snowflake rated too. Theyre calling for snow after midnite tonight so I better make up my mind pretty quick here...

#13 ·
Anybody have 275/70R18 Toyo MTs or 285/60R20 Toyo MTs?

#15 ·
:nopics:

I'm getting ready to replace my stock Goodyear RSA and would love to see some pictures. Specifically BFG in the 265/70r18 and 275/70r18 sizes on the factory wheels. For me the right wheel tire combo can make or break the appearance of a vehicle, even something as subtle as the sizes mentioned above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.