Diesel Place banner

Relearning TPMS sensors on Fuel Wheels

20K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  GREASEMONKEY196 
#1 ·
Anyone else having problems relearning TPMS sensor positions on aftermarket wheels? I have a set of Fuel Mavericks that were on the my 15 Denali HD when I bought it. Sensors worked fine when I took them off and put on stock rims with winter tires for the winter. Now put the Fuels back on and can't get the sensors to activate when the truck is in relearn mode. I do have a relearn tool that I'm using that works great with the stock HD wheels with sensors and works great on my wife's Yukon with both sets of wheels with sensors that I have for it. But for some reason it will not work with the Fuel wheels. I had Fuel wheels on my 08 that I couldn't get to activate with the relearn tool either, but I thought it was more to do with the truck being an 08 and that you had to do it the manual way on those trucks and that it wasn't until 2012 when you needed to use the tool. Now I'm thinking it was the wheels that were the problem then as well, but at least it had the option of doing manually with the air in/out method. Anyone have any tips on how to get these things to activate, I hate having the light on the dash on.

#2 ·
Have you driven them around to awaken the sensors?

There is no reason for the rim to be an issue.

Reactions: mp06011999
#3 ·
I did drive it around the block and immediately tried it again and still couldn't get them to activate. I even tried to do them out of order thinking that maybe the front left sensor itself was the issue but I can't even get any of them to activate. Ive come across a few guys on the net having the same issue but all their fixes are to get a program that will do TPMS delete. Im not wanting to program this truck.

#4 ·
Went to a tire shop today that sells lots of fuel wheels. They said that do to the thickness of fuel wheels they have encountered lots of problems with relearning tpms sensors. What they suggested was for me to have the wheels busted down and see if I have gm or aftermarket sensors. If I have aftermarket, install factory gm sensors and see if that works. They have had the best luck with factory gm sensors in fuel wheels and he said that factory sensors are all they use now when installing fuel wheels. He said if I already have factory gm sensors and they won't activate my only options are to bust down the tires to relearn position everytime I rotate or switch to my winter wheels, get a programmer that will do tpms delete or buy new wheels.

#5 ·
im having same issue and i have factory sensors.. I was told the sensor might need to go on a strap and clip because of the location of valve hole.

Have you made any progress?

sean

#6 ·
I am new to this forum, I Just got My Fuel Maverick 20x9 14mm offset wheels mounted on Toyo Open Country AT II 305-55-r20 and a Gm Dealer Mounted Them along with some other accessories, prior to me going and picking up my 2015 Sierra they called and said they could not get the Tire Sensors to relearn correctly, they took my truck to several other Tire Shops in town, but none were able to remedy the problem. The Sensors where brand new, I was told they only got 2 out of the 4 to relearn correctly, and are saying the metal is too thick on the wheels where the sensor sits. FUELOFFROAD has advised my dealer that they have never heard of any relearning issues, and there is nothing they could do for us. Or so the Dealer says. My Dealer then told me they took every tire back off its wheel, and were able to relearn the sensors with the tires off, and then remount. They said I would also have issues in the future when i rotated, I would be given incorrect readings from the TPMS system due to them not being able to relearn the sensors after a tire rotation. Who wants to have their tires remounted after every tire rotation, so that sensors can be relearned? OK so i agreed to take them to a fuel authorized dealer to have the sensors trouble shooted. After Leaving my dealer for the first time I get 4 miles down the FREEWAY at 70 MPH and I hear a loud blowing noise, and the tire pressure system says 0 PSI in right rear tire. and of course I get out and the Tire is definitely completely deflated, and after inspection, the entire Valve stem had blown out of the Wheel. So Dealer got it towed and now im in a rental. What a Day. Any help would be much appreciative on why the sensors are not working properly with this type of wheels, has anyone had issues with their sensors and Fuel mavericks, and why a valve stem would blow out of a brand new wheel and tire, on a brand new 2015 truck. Wheel/Valve Stem Defect or Dealer Install Error? I'm lost as to what to even think. Thanks.

#7 · (Edited)
Firstly, programming. Wheel thickness? For tpms that give issues, position each rim assy so the stem is closest to the driver's side C-pillar. LF stem@ at 2 o'clock. RF stem @ 10 o'clock. LR stem@ 11 o'clock. RR stem @ 2 o'clock. At those positions, the signal only passes thru the tire carcass and not the alloy wheel. Remember, the TPMS signals are received by the RCDLR in the driver's C-pillar (B-pillar on std cab trucks).

And sometime around 2011, usage of a tpms tool became mandatory. Adding or taking air no longer programs each corner.

#9 · (Edited)
The Remote Control Door Lock Receiver is bolted to the interior steel, between the rear window and the side window. The same box receives key fob signals and tire pressure signals.

When programming is difficult, position the wheels as stated above. Yunz are the ones saying the thicker rim is creating a signal issue. Repositioning the stem location takes the wheel thickness out of the equation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.