Diesel Place banner

Official Tire Thread-What Are You Running?

Info: 
128K views 134 replies 105 participants last post by  209thomas22 
#1 ·
Guys, a ever present question for our trucks is "what tires should I buy". Use this thread to report what your running, the size, how they perform, how they are wearing, and the terrain you use them in. Then others can see what works, and what doesn't. Ill go first-Firestone Transforce A/T's in 265/75R16. I've never been that in to Firestones, but these were put on at 5k miles. Truck now has 67k and they are done, but have been surprisingly good in the dirt, sand, and snow, plus they have worn really well considering about 45% of their life has been spent towing something. Who's next?

#2 ·
Hankook RF10's for 36k average miles. (Favorite for all-around)
Hankook RW11's for 32k average miles. (Only suitable choice for 4 seasons on the CCLBs).
Cooper Discoverer ATR's for 36k miles average. (2nd favorite for all around)
OEM Duravis M773II for 18k miles average. (absolutely deplorable in all conditions)

Surprisingly, my EC LB trucks go everywhere with the RF10, but the CC LB trucks suck (in the rear) with the RF10s, but are awesome with the RW11 (it is a SNOW tire that I've chosen to run year round).
All my 2500/ 3500 trucks carry around a 1000# of transfer tank/ fuel/ and tool box, and still rear traction is abhorable with anything but a dedicated snow on the rear of the CC LBs. The 18" of extra wheelbase really causes rear traction issues of 10 times greater magnitude with the CC LB's than it does with the EC LB's (which are 18 wheelbase inches shorter).

#3 ·
go with the transforce again. . great tire imo. OR spend some more money and step up to the dueler revos. . big bucks but a long lasting tire.

#4 ·
I'm still running the stock donuts, but I have to admit at 30K miles on this set they look almost new. Most of miles driven is towing boat back and forth to Havasu/Parker from SoCal....

#5 · (Edited)
I run,

Michelin LTX M/S 2. LT245/75R/16E. Wearing good. On road mostly. IMO the best hwy all season tire.

&

Michelin LTX A/T 2. LT245/75R/16E. I put these on in the Winter time when im living in Colorado. They did wear funny @ 1st, then I got them replaced with the updated version. Great tire overall.

#7 ·
How long should I run these tires?

Michelin LTX's...Total highway(2wd truck) They've got about 41K on them and I'm debating about changing them. They are not quite to the wear bars yet but they are pretty cracked up. They have been rotated every 5k, I tow a 9K camper with them...Would you guys change them?

Hey, I just blew a couple hundred on my first set of replacement batteries..I guess I should spend more..:eek:

#8 ·
Geolanders 285/75/16. I mainly use them for daily driving and occasional towing. Light to heavy towing. Do good in snow, mud, drag. A little slick in just rain. 15K on them now and look like they have another 35 to go.

#9 · (Edited)
Stock Duravis: 27k miles, worthless tires.
BfGoodrich All-Terrain KO's, 285/75/16 D-rated w/ Stock Wheels: 74k miles, balance for crap but wore unbelieveably well. 2/32's left when removed.
BfGoodrich A/T's, 315/70/17 on H2's: Currently 23k miles, not wearing nearly as well as the 285's, but should still get 50k+ out of them

I do very little towing, mostly unloaded highway miles, city driving and some gravel/trail driving up north. BfG's are great in MI snow but they suck to keep balanced. My next tires probably won't be Bfg's due to price/balancing.

#11 ·
I'm putting on 265 75 16 transforce at's tonight. Should be better than the mis matched bald junk that was on the truck when I bought it.

#12 ·
Michelin LTX M/S 265/75/16. Very quiet (silent) highway tire. Terrible in the snow. Pretty bad on wet pavement. Useless for offroad.

For the guy who wants a quiet, comfortable ride, and long-lasting tires that withstand the punishement of towing, these are the ticket.

#13 ·
Michelin LTX M/S 265/75/16. Very quiet (silent) highway tire. Terrible in the snow. Pretty bad on wet pavement. Useless for offroad.

For the guy who wants a quiet, comfortable ride, and long-lasting tires that withstand the punishement of towing, these are the ticket.
They must have made some big changes between the M/S and the M/S 2. While maybe not the worlds best snow tire, my M/S 2's have better traction in 3 inches of snow than my Bridgestone OEM ribs had in the rain. Here in the east it is all the snow tire I need.

#14 ·
2 sets of 325/60R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, the current set has 12k on them and still look brand new and they preform great in all the situations I've been in. They also did great on my 99 cummins that I used to drag race got about 45k out of them on that truck...

#16 · (Edited)
Stock tires were recalled after mayby 2500 miles. The dealership gave me some BFG A/T ( Big Crap) maybe 15,000 before they went bald, wore bad .
Got a deal on some Toyo's (305 70 16) good enough for a second pair ( about 30,000 each). Now 86,000
Now I'm on the second set of Toyo Open County A/T's and there getting a little smooth. So I'm looking at some Nitto Terra Grapplers (275 70 R16). I do some towing, some off roading and alot of powerstroke ass kicking.

07 Classic CC Short Box
Edge Evo, 4"turbo back, EGR Blocked, 52gal fuel tank, Leveling kit

#17 ·
With my current set-up my first set was Toyo Open Country M/T's. I think they are hands down the best mud tires I've ever owned, and I've had them on 1/2 & 3/4 ton trucks. They lasted over 50,000 hard miles on the truck I have now, they still had a bit of tread left but would break to easy when it rained outside. Very quite also.

The Nitto Mud Grapplers I have now look awesome but sound like an airplane going down the road, they do wear a bit faster...... but look badass!

#18 ·
Yokohama Geolander AT/S siped. Best tire I have ever put on my truck, my whole fleet is not running them including the wifes Mini Van. And almost never have to use 4x4 and I live in AK.

#19 ·
The stockers were evil.
Dick Cpek FCII's in 285/75R16 - ran ~40K. Nice tire, quite for how aggressive they are. Sucked for towing. Sidewalls were too soft and gave a weird side-to-side sway when loaded.
Toyo M55's in 255/85R16 - ran ~45K. I liked the tires, a little noisy. Hard tread compound so they tended to slip more than the FCII's. Wish I would have gotten them in 285's.
Goodyear Duragrappler in 285/75R16 - currently have ~20K still plenty of life left. These guys DO NOT like more than 60psi. When inflated to 80psi they have a "greasy" feel but at the correct pressure they are nice. Not too loud, good traction. Overall a great tire. Will probably buy them again.

#20 ·
BFG Commercial traction t/a, love them. Good all around traction and handle a heavy load very well. The only draw back is size selection. They make a little bit of road noise but the strait pipe takes care of that for the most part. As a kid dad ran only ltx ms2 that is a great highway tire. Great in rain and dry. When they are brand new they handle snow on the highway very well also. But not to great in mud or wet grass. Easily one of if not the best highway tow tire.

#21 ·
Hankooks rf10 265/70r17. I have 12000 miles and still look new. Very quiet. don't do off road but are good in snow on streets.

#23 · (Edited)
-65k on 285/75r16 load D toyo open country a/t. AWESOME tires!
-less than 1k on 2 sets of 285/70r17 load E hankook dynapro RF10. worst riding and handling tire ive ever experienced on a truck
-currently 12k on 285/70r17 load E nitto terra grappler a/t. so far so good!

#28 ·
less than 1k on 2 sets of 285/70r17 load E hankook dynapro RF10. worst riding and handling tire ive ever experienced on a truck

What size rim?
On what truck?

#24 · (Edited)
25k on BFG A/T 265/75R/16 10 Worst wearing tire I have ever used
30k + Mickey Thompson MTZ 265/75R/16 10 Great traction suffered fast treadwear while towing heavy
15K on current set Cepek Fun Country II 285/75R/16 8 16x8 wheels 15/32nds tread left, best set of a/t tires I have run to date Handles 7000 lbs on rear axle, no swaying, great in snow, tread holds up to heavy towing on hot tune, little road noise between 30 and 50 mph but quiets down after
20k Michelin LTX MS 265/75/16 wifes truck 13/32nds left great highway tire
General Grabber A/T2 265/75/16 studded, awesome plowing tire good tread life
Firestone Transforce A/T summer tire for work truck lbz quiet, long wearing
Kumho KL78 A/T 265/75/16 Good low cost tire for our trucks, I sell lots of them
20k on last set of Cepek fun Country II's and 14/32nds of tread left, sold them and waiting on the 3rd set to come in to replace them. 285/75r16, do a good job on snow, excellent in deep snow especially if aired down, average on hard packed snow/ice due to very hard rubber compound, tire does very good in mud, handles heavy towing very well and not effected by grizzly locker in rear. I gave serious consideration to trying a different tire this time around, and considered the Mickey Thompson ATz which is basicly the same casing as the cepek, but costs 20.00 more per tire and I also debated the Goodyear Duratracs and Nitto Trail Grappler, but the Duratracs have a reputation for having a soft casing that punctures easily and the Trail Grapplers tend to have lot of tread squirm when new and have very little siping for icy driving. Next time, who knows.........

Just sold set #3 of Cepek Fun Country IIs 14k on them and still have 16/32nds tread left. This is with a lot of heavy towing. Rubber compound is very hard and tire will chunk if spun hard off road. Very good mud traction, very good snow traction, not bad on hard pack snow, a little noisy at lower speeds and quiets down as speed increases. I am really disappointed that Cepek changed the tread design. Time will tell with the new Fun Country, but the looks didn't float my boat.

My next set is waiting for the wheels to show up Nitto Trail Grappler M/T 285/75r16, super heavy sidewalls, I hope they wear well.

#25 · (Edited)
I have ran Toyo mt's, cooper stt's, mickey atz'a, mtz's, and baja claw's. I have NEVER gotten more than 19k miles out of ANY of them. Cooper stt have worn the best for me with the Mickey ATZ a very close second. ATZ are not very good in deep snow, but decent in light snow. THe worst were mtz's and the claws...by far...only 13k miles out of either set but good in the snow. These were all 33", 35" and 37" tires from a 17", 18" 20" and 22" rims. I have a brand new set of nitto trail grappler mt's, 295/60-20's that just showed up at my house today. My friends run them and claim they have been wearing good and great in the snow, so I guess I will see. My current 33" STT's have almost 19k on them and have about 1/8" tread left. Both toy's and coopers have been decent in deeper snow but slick on snow packed roads.

On my 77' HighBoy I just put a set of Goodyear Duratrac 33x12.5x15's on and I love them so far AWESOME in the snow and mud and handle great on the road and quiet to boot. I was going to put a set on my DMAX but I dont think they would last to long towing heavy...but nothing I have ran has anyway so maybe I'll try them next go around.

#26 ·
You need to try a set of Cepek fun country II's. I was in the same boat as you and now with the FC I have 15k and still have 15/32nds of tread left.

#29 ·
1st set: Michelin LTX M/S 285-75R16 got 92,000 miles on them with about 20,000 pulling 14,500lb 5th wheel. Great on the road but sucked off road and i the rain. Never got them in the snow.(19.5mpg @ 75mph)
2nd set: Michelin LTX AT/2 285-75R16. Traction is unbelievable in the rain and off road but they cost me about .5 MPG.(19mpg@ 75mph)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.