Diesel Place banner

Official Tire Thread-What Are You Running?

Info: 
128K views 134 replies 105 participants last post by  209thomas22 
#1 ·
Guys, a ever present question for our trucks is "what tires should I buy". Use this thread to report what your running, the size, how they perform, how they are wearing, and the terrain you use them in. Then others can see what works, and what doesn't. Ill go first-Firestone Transforce A/T's in 265/75R16. I've never been that in to Firestones, but these were put on at 5k miles. Truck now has 67k and they are done, but have been surprisingly good in the dirt, sand, and snow, plus they have worn really well considering about 45% of their life has been spent towing something. Who's next?

#57 ·
I am running Kumho KL-71 MT. 305-70-16. They look kinda like the baja claws from Mickey Thompson but are about 350 cheaper a set and wear better. This is my second set I got 42k out of my first set rotating at 5k miles. The set on the truck now has 35k and I will probably get about 50k out of these rotating at 3k now that I have my lift installed and don't have to rotate with jack stands.

#58 ·
I'm a member of team Toyo. I had a set of 38x15.50R20 Toyo M/T for about 18,000 miles when I sold them (along with my 12" lift kit) to drop down to a smaller set up. Even with that wide of a tread pattern they were never loud, wore absolutely perfect, and looked amazing. Just out of curiosity I measure the tread depth after those 18,000 miles and compared it to the original tread depth...if the wear continued at the same rate I would have gotten 57,000 miles out of those tires. Now I am still running Toyo's but in a 35x12.50R20. These tires are an E load rating instead of a D like my previous ones so hopefully I can make 60,000 miles with these...at least.

#59 · (Edited)
I am running Michelin XPS Traction LT235/85R16. I find them very good but probably more expensive than I will afford when they need to be replaced.
I also like the size. They are comparable to the popular LT265/75R16. According to Michelin they can be recapped by Michelin.
The cons
Heavy about 20LBs more per tire
loose about 1 MPG
pricey over $300 per tire
expect a little more noise than the rib version of the same
about 10K less mileage than the rib version 50K miles ver 60K

Here is a link to them
Yahoo shopping price

This is the going price and I priced a set of 4 at Sams Club for $1430 including a 6% state tax.
Three weeks ago I drove about 600 miles on the Dempster Highway in Yukon and Northwest Territory, a notorious road for tearing up tires. I did an inspections of them today and found some chipping and small cuts from the sharp shale. Not enough to harm but I was a little surprised as these are advertised to resist chipping.

Handling is very good and I enjoy the safe feeling I get from having them. I believe they are the best extra traction tire I could use.

#61 ·
My dunlop Maxx Traction M/T's have finally worn out after 67000km (315/75/16). Was going to get another set hands down but they seem to have discontinued this style? They wore great, rotated every 10k on my 1/2 ton diesel. Best tire ive ran for mud, snow, rain with very little road niose. The first winter they were excellent on ice, last winter just needed some weight in the box and she was good to go. Not sure what my next set will be now.

#66 ·
check out fierce attitudes mud terrain. They work very well for me. 10ply and reasonable price. 30k miles and they still have 14/32nds of tread left. work good in snow and decent in mud, a pretty good all around tire minimal road noise if any. Mine see quite abit of highway use with work 20 miles away. They are on my 2003 chevy 1500. I just got these Hancooks, got one heck of a deal on them (old date code on tires got them half priced), on my diesel they seem good but to soon to tell. When they wear out I will replace them with the fierce brand of tires.

#62 ·
I have yet to find a tire that handles as well as the Goodyear Duratrac. They do wear a bit in the summer due to the softer compound but they have beat any tire I have ever ran in the winter. They are quiet and stable. Pulling a loaded dump box trailer, they feel great in any situation. They have dragged me out of some sticky and sloppy situations. If you live somewhere that gets lots of snow, the duratrac is outstanding. Its awesome on ice as well. I went through an entire winter in central Alberta without having to use 4x4. What else can I say.

#63 ·
I have yet to find a tire that handles as well as the Goodyear Duratrac. They do wear a bit in the summer due to the softer compound but they have beat any tire I have ever ran in the winter. They are quiet and stable. Pulling a loaded dump box trailer, they feel great in any situation. They have dragged me out of some sticky and sloppy situations. If you live somewhere that gets lots of snow, the duratrac is outstanding. Its awesome on ice as well. I went through an entire winter in central Alberta without having to use 4x4. What else can I say.
X2..the Duratrack is a great all-around tire. Hard to beat.

#64 ·
Really like my Michelin XPS Traction in .....wait for it..... 215/85/16 on my CCLB.(SRW)

These are VERY tough tires. Good in rain, mud, pavement, gravel or slag-packed mining roads.

I live in the snow belt of central Ontario, and I'll take skinny tires for snow and everything else I encounter here. I no longer care about how a tire "fills out the wheel well", I'm all about function and reliability. Looks be-darned.

Worth every dollar they cost me. Gerry.

#67 ·
Nitto terra grapplers with 27K miles. Still have another 10-15k left. Only rotated once. Excellent tire. Smooth, doesn't kick up rocks like BFG's great traction but gets clogged easily with mud.

#68 ·
Replaced the factory tires at 16 miles. I was not running the factory crap. Put on a set of Bridgestone/265-75-16/revo's @ $761.80. Went 67602 miles on them, would have went farther if there was no snow in the forcast. Replaced them with Cooper Discover AT3 265/75 16 @ $828.75. So far a good tire. Will know about wear later. The Bridgestone,s where quiet with good traction when new, they became loud with no traction in the rain as they became older. Dry rot then a tire pull, was time to replace them.

#69 ·
35x12.50r17 toyo open countrys. they are great tires on a 1500. i have them on my duramax and hate them. also had them on my 7.3 f250 and hated them as well. i think maybe its the weight but lots of road noise and wear quickly

#70 ·
BFG all Terrain TA 285/70/17 great traction on/off road but at 45K they are bald,
2500 HD some towing 99% asphalt

#82 ·
What size are those? Loving the look and I need some new rubber ASAP!

#72 · (Edited)
BFG AT KO'S 285 70 17 E ON H2's. Roughly about 40-45000 kms on them so far about 20-25000kms or so Towing a 36' 5th Wheel roughly 9000lbs loaded. They have less than half tread left but they are awesome all around tires and have an aggressive look too. I like them have bought them before(for another truck) and will buy them again.

They performed better on my half ton in a D range(8ply) than they do on my Dmax with the E Range(10ply) but I would assume with any tire a stiffer sidewall will sacrifice traction for load carrying capability. They are still MUCH better than the Mud Terrains in everything including mud. The MT's suck(although I believe they were the original version)

#74 ·
I run 33 12.50 15s BFG Mud terrain KM2s on my yota and have about 35000 miles on em and they still look brantd new.. But my dmax just got some Pro Comp All Terrain 315/75/16s on stock rims.. Drove about 4 hours to vacation no problem. Hammered on her quite a bit down there playin around doin little races against my dad and his lbz lol and on the way back had one tire slip a belt.. not so happy with the tires so as soon as i start makin a bit more money i'll probably go back to bfgs always loved em.. maybe mickey thompsons :confused:

Attachments

#75 ·
I was not very happy with the Pro Comp A/Ts either.

#76 ·
Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 in 265/7516E1

Have 62,000 on them mostly highway miles not towing. I will be purchasing anoyther set this fall.

I have found with how i use my trucks, if properly inflated and rotated I average 55-65K with an allterain tire. This has held true for my 1/2 ton excab Chevy 4x4 and my 3/4 ton 4x4 CCSB.

#79 ·
I can't find anybody that has anything bad to say about these tires. And they are a relatively inexpensive tire too. I am going to buy a set and give them a try this winter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#77 ·
Just put my third set of tires on at 83K with new wheels
50k on the first oem AT2's
33k on BFG AT's 265/70/17
1k on Toyo MT's 265/70/17 and love the smooth ride. BFG's beat me up and would not ballance and did not last long at all. Yes I tow most every day light to heavy.

#78 ·
Not many will believe me but when mileage is put on in a short time tires do last. Heres what I have ran:
Stock Bridgestone Duravis M700s 265/70/17 lasted me 120,000 miles run spring to beginning of winter @ 80 psi wore to 2/32nds. I did not like these tires spun easily once worn on wet surfaces.
Bridgestone Duravis M773 II (spares) 265/75/16 I ran 2 on truck worn to about 6/32nds and then but back under truck. About 50,000 miles. I disliked the tire more than the M700. Tire wore faster in center.
Bridgestone Duravis R500 HD, I call the ultimate pulling tire. I air these up to 90 psi one tough tire. First set 265/70/17 I ran for 185,000 miles, to 2/32nds. Tire is improved over M700. Center ribs are siped deep way less spinning when wet. Downside with 265 size is will make it through one winter new but not good for the next. Switched to the same tire in a 235/85/16 tires are great in winter on ice and snow and with water on road. They last me 130,000 miles.
This winter I will be running the Duravis R500 235/80/17 mounted on stock 7.5 wide wheels.

#83 ·
You are correct: I don't believe you.

Reactions: Supercop8100
#80 · (Edited)
just put my new (to me) shoes on yesterday. who says you cant fit 36s on a leveled truck... I wouldn't have chosen to go that big but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on these wheels and tires. $600 for 20"AR wheels and 325/60R20 BFG ATs with more than half tread. I did put cognito UCAs and shock extenders on. leveling keys should be done this weekend.

Still have to do a little more fine tuning on the clearance cuts and folds but as it sits right now I only rub at full lock.

#81 ·
Just went with 35 12.50 18 toyo open country mt's with 18x9 XD Badlands.. love the setup!!! truck is just leveled no lift

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.