Diesel Place banner

Official Tire Thread-What Are You Running?

Info: 
128K views 134 replies 105 participants last post by  209thomas22 
#1 ·
Guys, a ever present question for our trucks is "what tires should I buy". Use this thread to report what your running, the size, how they perform, how they are wearing, and the terrain you use them in. Then others can see what works, and what doesn't. Ill go first-Firestone Transforce A/T's in 265/75R16. I've never been that in to Firestones, but these were put on at 5k miles. Truck now has 67k and they are done, but have been surprisingly good in the dirt, sand, and snow, plus they have worn really well considering about 45% of their life has been spent towing something. Who's next?

#30 ·
Michelin M/S 2 - 265s on the stock PYOs. Had early failure on two sets of General Grabber AT2s (best tire I've run in snow). Only 5K on the Michelins so far - ride great on 30% highway, 70% secondary paved roads. Surprisingly good performance in the two significant snow events (24" and 6") so far this fall.
Did brakes, tie rod ends, ball joints just prior to tires - it's as smooth as silk up there now!

#33 ·
Ive run Firestone AT's, Goodyear MTR's, Mickey Thompson Baja Claws, Courser MT's, and Course CT's, all 305/70x16 except the firestones where 265/75x16 all on stock wheels. firestones lasted forever but I was not impressed with the offroad traction. Goodyears were awesome offroad but I only got 17k out of them. Mickeys were awesome all around they where quiet, good traction on and off road, and balanced with very few weights but very expensive. Courser MT's all Im gonna say is if you live offroad good tire for the money. But what I always find myself going back to is the courser CT's! They wear nice (ive had from 30k a set to the current have 36500 and still have 40% tread) they are very good off road, they look good, and are a very affordable tire! Now mind you I have run all of these on a 03 2500HD LB SC which lived 75% of its life towing something and usually something heavy! I cant wait to get the worthless cooper tires of my duramax I just bought and try a set of CT's on there!!!

#34 ·
K, so I forgot something yes Cooper makes Courser but the particular tire on my new truck is a street tire! Im not sure id even call it an AT!!! They prolly last a long time but are very hard and have no tread design to them!

#35 ·
Stock Duravis: 18k miles, worthless tires.
Just put on 265 75 16 E Blizzak tires for winter use, very stickey tire that likes to pick up stones and fling them all over the place.
Have Michelin LTX M/S 2, 265 70 17 replacements for summer. Tow 38ft fifth wheel that has a gross weight of 14000 lbs.

#36 ·
I am running 265-75R16 Bridgestone Dueler RVT's from wal mart. They are wearing well, and I do tow a lot on them. Load range E on 80PSI. They do not get good traction in snow or mud for an A/T. 15K on them right now, and I still have at least another 15k in them.

#37 ·
Well, finally got the old Firestone's off. Ended up with a new set of Goodyear Silent Armors in 265/75R16 E Load. Wet weather traction is very good, the tread pattern is somewhat aggressive but not at all loud in the cab at speed. Fuel economy has not changed from the Firestone's-its where it normally is this time of year with winter fuel. Haven't had a chance to test snow, mud, or sand traction yet. Running at 80 psi all the way around

#38 ·
I have Grabber AT2's and they SUCK! I only have 16000 miles on the truck since putting on the Grabbers and I will be very lucky if they pass inspection in JUNE. They have been great in the snow. Never seen off road. Towed maybe 1000 miles if I am lucky in the last two years. I came on the site to see what other tire I should be considering. I have also noticed about a 1.5 mpg loss with these tires. Not sure if it from moving up to the 265's from the 245's? I think I will try a less aggressive tread design. BUT WHAT?

#39 ·
BFG All terrain TA KO, 265-75-16. The first half of these tires was gone in 15k miles but surprisingly they wore better the older they got. Wet traction is great, mud is also very good and dry highway is also very good. They do make some noise but not bad, never could get them balanced. I'm trying Terra Grapplers next.

#40 ·
I've been VERY happy with 2 sets of Yoko Geolander ATS sets, both E rated. Pushing 15k on one set with 75% tread left. They're a little loose in the wet if you push it and if you take a corner fast with them they sound like they are just sliding but they stick, just a noisy tire in that aspect.

My dads truck use to have Pirelli Scorpion S/T's on it which werent much looking at them but I was very impressed with them in the mud and all around. It saddens me they arent made anymore. They lasted close to 45k but they got a flat at 10 years old and had to be replaced.

#41 ·
I took the stock Goodyears off my LML and went with these Mickey Thompson Baja ATZs 305/55/R20. Too early to tell how they will wear. The Duravis junk that came on my 09' LMM were bald after 17,000 miles. I replaced them with some Nitto TeraGrapplers and got the same mileage from them as the stock junk. These Mickeys ride nice and are quiet. They seem to have a lot of tread to wear down and just plain look cool to me. They are just crazy expensive in this size though. My 5th wheel camper likes to eat the rear tires so I'm hoping these will be better given they are wider, deeper tread, and not the stock lowest bidder specs.

#42 ·
I'm running the Nitto trail grapplers in a 35/12.5R18 and i love them they perform great in all conditions. I did a ton of research on tires before i decide on what to buy and these came out on top. They also have the snowflake symbol and do amazing in the snow. They are surprisingly quiet one the road for a MT. Wet traction is amazing way better then my old Bfg all-terrain in all conditions.

#44 ·
Ran stock bridgestones for 24k miles. They were worthless
Ran 265/75/16 michelin ltx for 50k. Great tire, wore great, great for on highway tire. Great in rain and surprisingly good in snow. Horrible for wet grass lol
Currently running 265/75/16 michelin ltx ms2. Have approximately 10k on them and not as impressed as my first set. They are wearing faster than expected. Still a great tire for highway, rain, and decent for snow (surprising once again). Still horrible on wet grass lol

#45 ·
Nitto Trail Grappler MT Love how they perform not very impressed with tread wear my mickeys were alot better

#46 ·
Nitto terra grappler junk after 18k from previous owner, I put the stock wheels and duravis on and got 40K plus a mile of rubber on the road. I'd wouldnt buy the duravis, but I was amazed at how long they lasted. Im amazed at how little miles the other members here got on theirs. Looking at new tires now. So many choices

#47 ·
Nitto trail grapplers, so far they're at ~30k miles and look like they've got another 10 or 15k left.

#48 ·
Here is a pic of my truck on Stealth Black BMF S.O.T.As with 285-55-20 Nitto Terra Grapplers. Had a hard time finding a pic online while i was shopping, so i figured i would post one up.

Contact Steve at SD Wheel Corp sales@sdwheelcorp.com for unbeatable prices on wheel/tire packages. They move a huge quantity of Nitto's therefore they can offer the best prices I'v ever seen.

#49 ·
2 sets of cooper discoverer AT-R....got 55-60k out of both sets. 315/70/17's
Nitto Dura-Grapplers 10 ply currently +15k, still look good. does good in sand 285/75/17

#50 ·
Stock tires (245-78-16 'E') lasted 26,768. Driver's rear got a big knot on the sidewall, and I replaced them with BFG T/A KO 'D' range 265-75-16. These BFG T/A KO tires lasted 43,165 miles. I thought that was pretty good, and I liked them. Handled well on and off road in the wet and dry. Reasonably quiet

#51 ·
Stock tires (245-78-16 'E') lasted 26,768. Driver's rear got a big knot on the sidewall, and I replaced them with BFG T/A KO 'D' range 265-75-16 on stock PYO alloy rims. These BFG T/A KO tires lasted 43,165 miles. I thought that was pretty good, and I liked them. Handled well on and off road in the wet and dry. Reasonably quiet on the road, OK traction on the farm and gravel roads, but by no means a mud tire. These were replaced by a set of Mastercraft Courser AT2 285-75-16 'E' on PYO stock wheels. These have lasted more than 59,000 miles and I have hated them since the first week. They make a lot of noise on the road, and the off road performance is no better than the much quieter BFG T/A KOs. I didn't buy them for off road performance, as I do not need that very often, and have been disappointed that they hum like Super Swampers. I am undecided about what to replace the Mastercrafts with, but I believe that I will stay with a 285 series tire, as I have been getting 19 - 20 MPG on the highway if I keep the speed under 70 MPH. I may try some Michelins if I can pick up some 17" rims and keep the Mastercrafts for hunting season, then replace them with a 'E' rated mud terrain from BFG, Firestone Destination, or Mickey Thompson.

#52 ·
Ran out a set of michelin LTX AT2 tires. Quiet and drove nice. The down side is the cost and the open shoulder design is prone to chopping.

#53 ·
I'm running Maxxis Bravo in LT255-85-16. I really like these tires. At 80 mph, my rpm's are only 2250.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.