Goodyear Duratrac Wear Update - Page 6 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Wheels & Tires
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Wheels & Tires Discuss wheels & tires.
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2020, 06:19 PM   #51 (permalink)
headdamage
Glow Plug

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I've had a set of 225/75r16 Duratracs on my 1993 diesel Range Rover for about 8 years and love them, very little wear and good all year round here in Western Canada.

I've also had 235/85r16 Duratracs on my old 2500 4x4 diesel Suburban and they where also great tires on that truck.

Ran 235/85r16 Duratracs on a Toyota Tacoma work truck for a couple of years and loved them.

Ran 235/85r16 Duratracs on a 2015 2500HD crewcab 8ft box Duramax for working on the ice roads in the NWT for a couple of winters and again they where great (winter use only).

I replaced the Sub with my 2006 LBZ 2500HD 4x4 a few years ago. First thing I did was put a set of 235/85r16 Duratracs on it. Things didn't go so well this time. The tires where good as always except the tread wear on the rear tires was crazy, they where down to 50% in about 6 months (around 15000 km). The fronts where fine and I had only done one 1600 km towing trip (12,000 lb trailer from Yellowknife to Calgary in the winter). The rear tires where so worn and the fronts where so good that I bought a new pair and put them on the rear for a while but noticed they where starting to show wear quite quickly so...

I removed the duratracs and replaced with Continental Vanco 245/75r16 sprinter van tires at this point (brand new take offs for $100 each). These tires seem to be wearing well and the fuel mileage improved about 2 L/100km. Terrible winter tires as expected. I've saved the Duratracs to use as winter tires on my Land Rover 90 diesel but haven't remounted them yet (4 good and 2 50% worn).

Last winter I was working in the Mountains so I put a set of Nokian Hakkapelitta studded winter tires on the 2500HD. Great winter tires but the rear tires seem to be wearing quite fast. I now suspect that this maybe due to me running too much pressure in the rear tires when not loaded. I have been running 70 to 80 psi to save fuel but I think this combined with the lack of weight on the back end and the power of the motor is related to the tire wear. I'm now running 50 psi in the Nokians to see if the wear rate reduces.

I don't think I've had a puncture with any of the above Duratracs.

Last edited by headdamage; 01-07-2020 at 06:24 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in