Diesel Place banner

Goodyear Duratrac Wear Update

43K views 51 replies 28 participants last post by  Bartman432 
#1 · (Edited)
I haven't been on in a while and wanted to give everyone an update on my Duratrac's purchased this summer. For the record I have 265/75/16 on my truck. They are the AT version not the mud terrain.

I purchased them 12k miles ago and have rotated them 3 times in the 12k miles (purchased 04/09). I have done a lot of city driving, highway in high heat and winter snow conditions. About 2k miles towing a 30ft travel trailer with a weight of about 9500 lbs. I have also spent some good time in the mud with them as well as a lot of winter driving ie snow, slush and ice.

My impression of the tire to date is they are the best tires I have bought for any truck and especially for a HD pick up. They have been perfect in all conditions from dry pavement, mud, rain and snow. They where great to tow with as well.

I would say they are pretty quiet for a tire as aggressive as these. A little louder then the Bridgestone dueler at revos they replaced. But they seem to ride better and out perform the Bridgestone in every other way! I have run Dunlop, Michelin, BFG, Goodyear, Cooper, Bridgestone, Toyo, and a few others I can't think of right now and I have never been happier with any tires more then these. I have run AT's and a few mud tires and these are by far the best performers. I also get asked a lot who makes the tires, they look really good and very aggressive just like a Toyo but at a lower cost.

They are also made in the USA which is huge!

After the first 12k miles they are pretty much the same noise level, as best as I can tell they haven't changed since the first 1k miles. They ride great and have kept their balance perfect. In fact discount tire has kept checking them and hasn't had to adjust them at all. The ride is the same and traction is the same as when new.

So far the tread seems to be wearing very well. At this rate I would suspect 40-50k plus miles on a set. Most others I am lucky to hit 30k with so if I can hit the high 30k mark I will be thrilled! I don't expect them to last as long as a Michelin tire but I have a much better tire in respect to anything non highway.

If you have been thinking of getting a set I would highly recommend them!

David

See less See more
#41 ·
I put a set of Duramax 285/60 R20's on my 2018 Duramax and it sounds like the driver front tire is making a loud wahwahwah noise. Not sure if this is something that will go away or they just didn't balance that tire right. I only hear it when i'm around 30-35 mph. Normal?
Hard to say what's "normal", but if you're going from an all-season highway style tire to the Duratrac tire it's probably going to be a little noisier. Your truck is pretty new, but these trucks are known to go through front hub bearings which do get noisy. I'm on my third or fourth set at just under 200K on my 2004 4wd crew cab.

#42 ·
I am somewhere around 20k on my 275/70R18 Duratracs. I have towed heavy for many of these miles and the tires perform well. I have to admit that these tires are a bit on the noisy side after just completing a 2200 mile round trip towing my 35' fifth wheel. The good, excellent snow traction, I have studs too and ice traction is good. Tread wear is very good. The bad, for the amount of noise, my next set of tires will be Cooper STT Pros. Probably the same amount of noise with a big improvement in off road traction. The Duratracs are only ok in the mud, not great, not terrible. My other 8k of miles were on Michelin A/T2's that came from the factory. I hated them, very poor traction. If I wanted a set of highway tires, I would probably go with the Michelin Defender, but let's face it, they are not a mud tire and definitely not enough traction for running the back roads when snow can change to mud. For snow, I prefer a dedicated snow tire with studs. I would have to say that the Duratracs are the second best wearing tire I have ever had on a duramax, with the Michelin's being the best. With 20k on my current set, I am still at close to 70% tread.

#43 ·
My Duratracs were worn out at just over 16,000 miles. The rears were at the wear bars and the fronts were nearly there. These were rotated about every 3 to 4 thousand miles. The many trips with our Toy Hauler on the switchback Idaho mountain highways did a number on them. The new set has a mileage warranty, I wish the Duratracs would have.

#44 ·
What did you replace them with?
I sell tires and getting the manufacturer to stand behind a mileage warranty is tough. They usually have a lame reason to deny warranty. The exception is purchasing from a large retailer like Costco.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

#45 ·
Sledman, I wonder if the issue you had with premature wear on duratracs was due to the 20 inch rims. I have no experience with 20's and duratracs, but I have a lot of experience with 16's and 18's, with both averaging over 30k. I can tell you that I saw measurable wear after my 2300 mile trip to N. CA and back towing my 35' 15,000 lb fifth wheel, I will measure them later, but I was at 13/32 before I left and I expect the rears are at 11/32 now and the fronts look like they are still around 13/32nds. As far as good wearing tires in Wyoming, my list is short. Hankook Dynapro ATM, Toyo AT II, Cooper ST Maxx, Cepek Fun Country, Michelin Defender. You will notice that BFG AT isn't there, some sizes wear great, others wear quickly, Nittos are also not on my list, because they don't hold up well here. I have a new tire with high hopes, but not out long enough to know, it is the Cepek Trail Country EXP, very similar to the Cooper ST Maxx, made by Cooper and very attractive pricing.

#47 ·
No I'm pretty sure it's the path I travel when towing. We take the back way a lot to escape the traffic. It's a lot of miles of severe mountain switchbacks both ascending and descending a lot. I keep up with traffic (and then some) and the tow hauler has over 1,600 lbs tongue weight. Between the weight, the engine torque being used and the switchbacks.......it ground them down fast. We camped 21 times in the 2 seasons these tires were on the pickup. Once was all the way to the Oregon Coast and back, several other trips to Oregon and the rest in Idaho. And that doesn't count towing sleds in the winter time.

#48 ·
Let us know how the Deans do. I have had pretty good luck with some of the tires made by Cooper, but not a big fan of the A/T3, they wear quick on the duramax trucks.

#49 ·
I just measured my duratracs after towing my 15,000 pound 5th wheel. They started at 13/32nds before the trip and the rears ended up at 11/32nds while the fronts still have 13/32nds. With this type of wear, towing all the time, these tires would be shot in 16,000 miles without rotating.

#50 · (Edited)
My son ran one set of Duratracs on his 2008 Toyota Tacoma..........Got about 30K out of them, had no less than 4 flats, and were in his opinion fkg horrible tires. Lol

#51 · (Edited)
I've had a set of 225/75r16 Duratracs on my 1993 diesel Range Rover for about 8 years and love them, very little wear and good all year round here in Western Canada.

I've also had 235/85r16 Duratracs on my old 2500 4x4 diesel Suburban and they where also great tires on that truck.

Ran 235/85r16 Duratracs on a Toyota Tacoma work truck for a couple of years and loved them.

Ran 235/85r16 Duratracs on a 2015 2500HD crewcab 8ft box Duramax for working on the ice roads in the NWT for a couple of winters and again they where great (winter use only).

I replaced the Sub with my 2006 LBZ 2500HD 4x4 a few years ago. First thing I did was put a set of 235/85r16 Duratracs on it. Things didn't go so well this time. The tires where good as always except the tread wear on the rear tires was crazy, they where down to 50% in about 6 months (around 15000 km). The fronts where fine and I had only done one 1600 km towing trip (12,000 lb trailer from Yellowknife to Calgary in the winter). The rear tires where so worn and the fronts where so good that I bought a new pair and put them on the rear for a while but noticed they where starting to show wear quite quickly so...

I removed the duratracs and replaced with Continental Vanco 245/75r16 sprinter van tires at this point (brand new take offs for $100 each). These tires seem to be wearing well and the fuel mileage improved about 2 L/100km. Terrible winter tires as expected. I've saved the Duratracs to use as winter tires on my Land Rover 90 diesel but haven't remounted them yet (4 good and 2 50% worn).

Last winter I was working in the Mountains so I put a set of Nokian Hakkapelitta studded winter tires on the 2500HD. Great winter tires but the rear tires seem to be wearing quite fast. I now suspect that this maybe due to me running too much pressure in the rear tires when not loaded. I have been running 70 to 80 psi to save fuel but I think this combined with the lack of weight on the back end and the power of the motor is related to the tire wear. I'm now running 50 psi in the Nokians to see if the wear rate reduces.

I don't think I've had a puncture with any of the above Duratracs.

#52 ·
My son had Goodyear Duratracs on his Toyota Tacoma, and had no less that 4 flats and a tire that shredded itself apart. Glad most of you guys are having success. His tires only had about 10K on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.