BFG AT/KO vs. Goodyear DuraTrac - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Wheels & Tires
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Wheels & Tires Discuss wheels & tires.
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: BFG AT/KO vs. Goodyear DuraTrac
BFG AT/KO 16 45.71%
Goodyear DuraTrac 19 54.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2009, 12:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Accord_boy619
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Armed Forces Club Member

BFG AT/KO vs. Goodyear DuraTrac

Help me decide on which tire to get! Here's whats on my head: Ive seen a lot of post saying that BFG AT/KOs suck and they wear out fast, but Ive put at least 25k on BFG AT/KOs thats on my Tahoe and there @ 50% right now and I like them. I was decided on the DuraTracs till I saw a big chunk of side wall missing from one of my current tires(Goodyear Wrangler AT/S). Is this a Goodyear thing? Also I will be going up to a 285/75/16E from 215/85/16E.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0213.jpg (48.9 KB, 2080 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0214.jpg (73.3 KB, 6864 views)
2006 LBZ Silverado 3500 CrewCab 4x4 Dually - PPE Std Tuner 225HP | Mike L. buit trans| MBRP 5" Turbo Back | Blocked n Finger Stucked | Kennedy Twin Pumps | Merchant Pump Rub Fix | Nicktane CAT filter adapter | Cognito UCA set to 2 3/4" | 4" blocks on rear with top, bottom, and #3 spring removed | Bilstien 5100 | Cognito 60" Trac bars | Fred's 2" spacers | 285-75-16 BFG AT/KO | AMSOIL 15w-40 AME | Amsoil Ea Oil Filter

1997 L31 Tahoe 4x4 2door - 6" Fabtech | 35" BFG AT/KO | 10x15 Mickey Thompsons | SYE kit | Tom Woods rear drive shaft | Superchips | flowmasters | AMSOIL 5w-30 HDD | Amsoil Ea Oil Filter Currently INOP pending a 454 swap

2009 Suburban Z71 Bilstiens on all 4 and leveled. Otherwise stock

Proud 3500 Dually Club member #587
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2009, 12:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

That tire damage is due to overheating from driving under-inflated (which overheats from internal friction and promotes seperation), OR a factory defect.

As for the BfG, the BfG AT KO has been the most inconsistent tire we've ever run, with a combined bad tire balance issues out of the box, being prone to excessive cupping, noisy on the highway, poor self-cleaning, poor Pennsylvania mud traction, poor snow traction, and thumping generated after 10k or miles, due to internal belt "shifting".

I'm still a Hankook RF10 guy, through and through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2009, 01:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Accord_boy619
Diesel Apprentice

Armed Forces Club Member

I check my tires about once a month, so I doubt it was under inflated. Oh and yes my BFGs have had to be balanced 3 time since new. They are PITA to balance, I did them my self and one took like 7oz. Other than that I like them. But wanted to try something different but Im now scared because of what happend to day.
2006 LBZ Silverado 3500 CrewCab 4x4 Dually - PPE Std Tuner 225HP | Mike L. buit trans| MBRP 5" Turbo Back | Blocked n Finger Stucked | Kennedy Twin Pumps | Merchant Pump Rub Fix | Nicktane CAT filter adapter | Cognito UCA set to 2 3/4" | 4" blocks on rear with top, bottom, and #3 spring removed | Bilstien 5100 | Cognito 60" Trac bars | Fred's 2" spacers | 285-75-16 BFG AT/KO | AMSOIL 15w-40 AME | Amsoil Ea Oil Filter

1997 L31 Tahoe 4x4 2door - 6" Fabtech | 35" BFG AT/KO | 10x15 Mickey Thompsons | SYE kit | Tom Woods rear drive shaft | Superchips | flowmasters | AMSOIL 5w-30 HDD | Amsoil Ea Oil Filter Currently INOP pending a 454 swap

2009 Suburban Z71 Bilstiens on all 4 and leveled. Otherwise stock

Proud 3500 Dually Club member #587
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
callie454
Lead Moderator
Bidness is Boomin'!

iTrader Score: 6 reviews

CNY Diesel Club Member

CT Smoke Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

I would follow heymcall over a cliff, but I have to disagree this time. 30k on my 285s on PYOs, 50% treadwear, and never an issue. I ran them on all of my other trucks, and again, never an issue. I do rotate alot, like every other oil change, but that's what's required to keep these tires happy on my #7200 truck. Just sayin.
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ Limited
1958 Corvette Dual Quads, 4 speed
2003 Corvette Z06 ProCharger
Old 10-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
BigMoose153
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I'd have to agree with Heymcall, all the things he described I've experienced or am dealing with on these set of 285/70's BFG's. I've got 31k on them and ready to dump them but, I think I can get another 10k or so out of them so I'm gonna stick it out. And I rotate what I would call frequently, every 5k.

Last edited by BigMoose153; 10-02-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Big Chris
Diesel Head

Michigan Oil Burners Member

INDP Member

Midwest Smokers Member

I voted for the BFG's because I have a set and have never owned the Goodyears. I've had good experiences with the BFG AT. My current set on stock 3500 wheels has 38k on them. There is still a bit of life left in them. Two of them started to wear funny at about 33k. I rotate every 7-8k. I would buy them again but I am also considering the RF10 and Cooper st as well.

DD TOW RIG:
08 GMC Sierra 3500 CCLB D/A 4x4 SRW EFILive DSP5, 4" silverline TB exhaust, KD Twin lift pumps, dual fuel filters, blocked, shimmed, pcv rerouted,
Old 10-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
tireman43
Diesel Apprentice

Minnesota/Western Wisconsin DP Club Member

That is a pretty common problem with Goodyears. They are prone to sidewall blowouts. It is usually due to overheating though. Goodyears are my least favorite tire and that includes private brands.

I run the BFG's personally. That said; I have seen many different mileages. I have a toyhauler that had about 15-20,000 miles of use over the past 2 years and my first set of 285's lasted 50,000 miles. I just put on my second set a month ago. My boss just replaced his also and he got 53k. I have seen guys get 80k when running highway miles and have seen 30k. They are a pain to balance also.
05' Summit White D-Max LLY, Hypertech(level 3 and speedo recal.), AC Delco filter in modified stock box, Silverline Turbo-back Duals w/5" tips , fingerstick code elim, EGR blocker, 2" leveling kit(turned torsions) and 285/75R16 BFG's, bilstein shocks, vertical billet grille, Truxsport tonno cover, flame taillight covers, Amsoil,

chrome handles, Recon White Lightning light bar, and can't forget the t.v's for the kids.

*The D-max=$42,000, Tuner=$750, Smokin' a Powerjoke=priceless*

"I Love the smell of Diesel in the Morning"
Old 10-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoose153 View Post
I've got 31k on them and ready to dump them but,

That brings up another very valid point....Who would want a 60k mile tire? Once a belt thump, casing deformity, or abnormal wear shows up, you're stuck for rest of the life of the tires with that noise, vibration, or pull.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Old 10-02-2009, 01:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
tireman43
Diesel Apprentice

Minnesota/Western Wisconsin DP Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymccall View Post
That brings up another very valid point....Who would want a 60k mile tire? Once a belt thump, casing deformity, or abnormal wear shows up, you're stuck for rest of the life of the tires with that noise, vibration, or pull.
Your not necessarily "stuck". That is when you go to your dealer and ask them to help you out. Most tire manufacturers will at least do a satisfaction guarantee. They want to keep as much business as possible and keep the bad stuff to a minimum. They know blogs and forums are booming and don't need bad publicity. I have dealt with this for all major brands.
05' Summit White D-Max LLY, Hypertech(level 3 and speedo recal.), AC Delco filter in modified stock box, Silverline Turbo-back Duals w/5" tips , fingerstick code elim, EGR blocker, 2" leveling kit(turned torsions) and 285/75R16 BFG's, bilstein shocks, vertical billet grille, Truxsport tonno cover, flame taillight covers, Amsoil,

chrome handles, Recon White Lightning light bar, and can't forget the t.v's for the kids.

*The D-max=$42,000, Tuner=$750, Smokin' a Powerjoke=priceless*

"I Love the smell of Diesel in the Morning"
Old 10-02-2009, 07:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
775dirty
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymccall View Post

michelin and goodyear are alot quicker to satisfy a customers needs on a tire that doesnt meet its mileage rating.period.i personally have adjusted(given credit) to customers that rotated they're tires when they were supposed to but didnt see the mileage they were supposed to see.

hankook is definetaly a good tire BUT lets not compare apples and oranges

the goodyear wrangler ats is a garbage tire made substandard to conform to very low pricing the dealerships and guys like walmart demand

8 inch fabtech w/bars
20 inch black monster's
37/1350r20 pro comp xt at's
debadged
magnaflow 4 inch
amp research steps
rbp black 6 inch tip
spray in bed liner
special thanks to:
righteyeblind of the cupcake crew
chad from www.alligatorperformance.com
http://dmaxstore.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in