Diesel Place banner

Towing issue around speed

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  wyoscout 
#1 ·
Towed my 16ft landscape trailer with my 6x4 gator (1500lbs) and my zturn mower (1000lb for the first time with my new 2015 All Terrain. Gator was on the front and zturn on the back so more weight was on the tounge?? Right?? I could not go over 60mph with out the front wheel feeling like they are off the ground a hair. It didn't sway like if you had the load on wrong or too heavy in the back of the trailer? Truck is two weeks old.. Seemed like the front tires were cupped?? For a truck at weighed 7300lb a 1500lb trailer with 2500lb load on it does really seem a problem for such truck..

Any ideas..

Thanks

#2 ·
Back to basics. Weigh the truck empty and weigh it with the trailer loaded with your stuff. Can't guess what MIGHT be the problem. Need to deal with facts. Was the front end really lighter? Might be, but you really don't know.

#3 ·
Also check the level of the trailer to the hitch ball height. Assuming it's a tandem trailer. If it's set up so that one of the tandem axles is pitched upwards compared to the other, you could have some trailer movement that will transfer to the truck.

#4 · (Edited)
Yup. Tandem axle trailers to best level. And, if you can't lift the tongue or at least slide it around, it's loaded wrong. 4000# trailer should have a 400# tongue weight for best towing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.