Diesel Place banner

Can't decide what to do first..cp3 conversion or full delete.

27K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  solidarityx 
#1 · (Edited)
Basically I cannot decide what I should do first a cp4 to cp3 conversion or full DPF EGR and DEF delete. I am leaning towards the cp3 conversion but it is going to cost alot more...and I won't be able to get both done at the same time. Opinions?

#2 ·
Sorry, but I don't really understand what the benefit of converting from one pump to another is.....can you explain please?

I've just done the DEF delete and I've also installed a FASS lift pump to ensure that my injector pump (CJ4 I think it's called??) doesn't have too much trouble...in fact it no longer has to "suck" the fuel from the tank, but is now force-fed a diet of pure (non-aerated) diesel, which should ensure longer life for injector pump and injectors according to the spiel on the FASS youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4LCbGsujdU

#3 ·
Have just heard of the cp4's blowing without warning and taking out entire fuel system...and thats a huge chunk of cash I don't have sitting around. A lift pump is a huge help but i'd rather convert to the older pump, which apparently doesn't take out hte whole fuel system if it goes.

#4 · (Edited)
Deletes. You will gain mileage and reliability doing that.
CP4 conversion has been primarily for performance. If anything, Id be adding a better filter system/lift pump to help the CP4 out.

Reactions: sfcjones
#5 ·
^^^What Tom said is the route I would do...^^^

#6 · (Edited)
Will the 9th injector even work with the CP3? I was under the impression that it wouldn't, which would mean that the deletes would have to come before or at the same time as the CP3 conversion.

#8 ·
Kennedy.

#9 ·
Kennedy if you like quiet and reliable...but you have to add your own filter setup.
AirDog if you want all-in-one, but be obsessive about sending in that warranty card.

#12 ·
What do you mean by own filter setup? I had plans to run the CAT filters and get the adapter to replace the stock fuel filter adapter. Also I am just going to go with an economy tune, something like +20-30 hp? Not looking for anything crazy, I don't really have any plans to build trans or anything anytime soon

#11 · (Edited)
what to do

i would recommend a lift pump, as well, i have the FASS titanium. its a little loud when the key is in the run position and the truck is off. i deleted and removed the EGR, DEF and DPF. I went with the AFE 5 inch exhaust and glad i didn't do the 6 inch because it has a wicked drone sound. the exhaust drowns out the Lift pump, unless your outside the truck right next to it. I got my LML tunes from PPEI at LA tuning, it added around 150 HP. thats unconfirmed because i haven't dino ed it, hopefully will get it up north to dino it soon. hope this helps….

#19 · (Edited)
would you recommend more filtration with the Kennedy twins and the cat filter or will that be plenty? Sorry I'm still learning about these trucks and want to make sure I get it right the first time. The only thing that worries me with more filtration is that I live in MN and it gets pretty cold and I don't want to have issues with gelling in the 2nd filter

#20 ·
I'm not sure why you don't simply fit a FASS.....it is an all-in-one unit and has the ability to have coolant-heated &/or electrically-heated diesel right there near the tank. It also provides the ability (if desired) to delete the OEM filter altogether; yet still retain the water-in-fuel alarm system. This is a real bonus for those of us who have the filter located in that awkward position behind the right hand inner guard.

Maybe the cost of the FASS (compared to the Niktane and Kennedy) is more??? I don't know as I live in Australia and have no idea of either the Niktane or the Kennedy pumps....

Not criticizing, just curious.....

#21 ·
The FASS is a little more expensive, not by much. Have read good things about the CAT filters so I would like to use them, I guess the real question is am I going to run into issues when its super cold running an extra filter, rather than just going with the kennedy pumps and the single CAT filter.

#22 ·
Not as long as you use fuel additives(Anti-Gel) in the winter time, number of filters won't make a difference.

#27 ·
I've just fitted my FASS myself and it was dead easy.....even though I made the job more complicated by having a larger fuel tank (meaning that I couldn't easily reach the junctions of the 2 hoses which are at the front of the "normal" tank and secondly because I mounted mine in a different position due to the canopy of my truck precluding me from mounting it where FASS recommends.

However, if you're installing it on a standard vehicle (ie: standard fuel tank and original cargo tub) it would be a very straight forward job.

#29 ·
Yep....!!! Should be easy-peasy!! :thumb:

#30 ·
I went with the single kennedy pump, since I don't plan on running anything more than like an economy tune (20-50 hp), will that be plenty for what I plan on doing for now? Obviously I will add another pump later if I want to add more power( not enough $$$$$ right now heh ).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.