Diesel Place banner

5 Speed - Hard Shifting Out of 1st Gear

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  nsdtk 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
i have a 1992 gmc k1500 4x4 with a 5spd manual trans, it is hard to shif into 1st gear but after u get it into gear it seems to shift just fine. the guy i bought it from said he had just put a new clutch in it and the clutch seems to work fine but just hard to get it into 1st, could this just be a bad flex plate?? or are there other problems at hand, everything else seems to work just fine dosent creep with clutch pressed in no noise just hard to push into gear?????

#2 ·
This is a pretty old thread, you may want to start your own new one if you aren't getting replies.

I bought a truck exhibiting the same behavior. Previous owner said he just had the clutch replaced (probably because he was having a hard time getting into 1st). On my further inspection I found that they did not replace the shift fork or release bearing. The fork was severely worn and the bearings were on the verge of failure.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
You talking about Low to first then second gear ?

#4 ·
Just saw you have a 1500. Are you sure it's a NV4500 and not a Geatag transmission?

#6 ·
sorry guys i stand corrected, it is a NVG 5LM60 i believe or a nv 3500 not sure as my truck is a 1992 so it could be either.... anyways it is difficult to get into any gear but once u are moving down the road is shifts fine and the clutch also does feel a little stiff but not unmanageable by anymeans so i guess my question is is this a pressure plate issue or air in the lines?? the clutch was replaced a yr ago i just bought the truck 4 days ago so am just trying to work out the kinks, it seems to shift fine feels good grabs well releases fine and dose not creep forward when clutch is pushed in.... any input would be nice thank you

#7 ·
I had standard gear oil in my NV4500 and it wouldn't shift for nothing. Swapped to the GM oil ( $25 a quart ) and it shifts very easy now. With the exception going into 1st from low somthing with the synchro on that one.

#8 ·
So i found out that my master cylinder was sucking air, so i replaced it and now i have heard that these particular hydraulic brake systems are a bit of a pain in the neck to bleed and that seems to be right as i have gone thro0ugh two quarts of fluid bleeding this system now and i get good pedal and it sits over night and then i have almost none in the morning again,.... i can pump the pedal 15-20 times and get decent pedal again but it dosent seem to hold for any length of time?? maby slave cylinder sucking air?? i also dont have a standard bleed nipple on my slave its an alan screw in the top of it that u crack and fluid shoots out... kinda weird i thought anyways any ideas sugestions and input would be greatly appreciated thank all

#9 ·
Do you have an external slave? I have found that the easiest way to get out the air with a external slave is to disconnect the slave from the bell housing and let it hang. Remove the cover from the master reservoir. Put a glove on your hand and lay under the truck. Press the slave rod in fully and hold. Slowly release and repeat. Each time you press the slave rod in you are forcing the bubbles up to the reservoir.

I have never had luck replacing only the master or slave and not the other. Now, if one goes, I replace both. Any trash from your old master may have worked its way down to the slave

#10 ·
Just changed Slave and hose. Only way it would bleed was this way.

Do you have an external slave? I have found that the easiest way to get out the air with a external slave is to disconnect the slave from the bell housing and let it hang. Remove the cover from the master reservoir. Put a glove on your hand and lay under the truck. Press the slave rod in fully and hold. Slowly release and repeat. Each time you press the slave rod in you are forcing the bubbles up to the reservoir.

I have never had luck replacing only the master or slave and not the other. Now, if one goes, I replace both. Any trash from your old master may have worked its way down to the slave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.