2005/2006 trucks - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > The Information Place > Buying or Selling a Truck Questions
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Buying or Selling a Truck Questions No Ads If you're looking to buy a new truck (new to you, or brand new) or selling a truck, come on in and post your questions here...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2019, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
TinCan
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

2005/2006 trucks

Im looking at picking up a 2005/2006 3500 (LBZ) drw long bed. all of the trucks listed in our area have between 190,000 - 90,miles on them. should i be concerned about buying a truck with higher mileage? is there anything that i should look for?

Thanks,

Adam

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2019, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
KdNicoll
Freeze Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCan View Post
Im looking at picking up a 2005/2006 3500 (LBZ) drw long bed. all of the trucks listed in our area have between 190,000 - 90,miles on them. should i be concerned about buying a truck with higher mileage? is there anything that i should look for?

Thanks,

Adam
The LBZ is only 2006.5/2007.5. The 8th digit of the VIN will be a D. I don't know what DRW stands for. Personally I would try to find a vehicle under 100,000 miles but that's my personal opinion. The last two duramaxes I purchased had 53K (LB7) and 82k (LBZ) and they were in damn fine condition and I still have both. I am at about 140 k and a 105k respectively. You just going to have to take a close look at any vehicle that has high mileage on it and see how well it was maintained. If the truck hasn't already had the pump rub fixed done to the transfer case you will need to do that. It is a super easy task to remove your drive lines and drop the transfer case And pull the case apart and install the pump rub fixed and while you have the transfer case out you might as well replace all the input and output gaskets/seals And that's also a good time to do your U-joints. I believe on this thread there is some frequently asked questions (FAQ) section that talks about all the things that you need to do to your truck to get it up to par. It's a good read for somebody who doesn't know all of this stuff. And I will forewarn you that you will be going through hubs like a son of a b****on any Duramax that is independent front suspension if it's lifted with 35x12.5s. I hope this was helpful.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2003 GMC K2500 HD CC LB 4x4 LB7 EFI Live DSP5 New Bosch injectors 6" Fabtech Lift 4" straight exhaust,Cognito Traction bars Rare Parts Idler and Pitman arms 35x12.50 Toyo M/T's Airbags hooked up to 150psi onboard air comp K&N air intake FASS 150 lift pump MAG-HYTEC Trannypan &Diff cover Rancho 9000 shocks 10% Tint Cognito upper A arms Kryptonite Dmax store XD Lower Aarms Deathgrip tierods

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CCLB EFI Live DSP5 4x4 6" Fabtech lift, Wehrli Trac bars S&B cold air intake scoop/box FASS 150 2015+ mirrors Firestone Airbags Kryptonite Deathgrip tierods and tons more

2015 Arctic Fox 29L
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 02:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

DRW is generally (in this context) dual rear wheel. For people who like big hips...

depending on where the truck has lived, brake and fuel lines have a tendency to rust. Easy to see, the 4 brake lines as they run along the frame rail from the left front wheel to the abs unit under the cab (inside the frame rail) near the driver's door. You can see the fuel lines there as well. The brake/fuel lines also rust over the fuel tank, but it's hard to see there.

From what I've read on forums (as I don't have the diesel version), the transmission is pretty solid and reliable, the engines seem have a variety of common problems (for a given type of Duramx), but I couldn't describe what they are for each version.
Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Welcome to DieselPlace

I moved your thread over to the "Buying or Selling a Truck Questions" section.

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
TinCan
Gear Grinder

thanks guys
Old 10-16-2019, 08:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
drgermain
Gear Grinder

this is sort of my standard reply
A little info for you LBZ is the best, they fixed all the bad stuff and that goes even for the air intake, they did big improvements, and you now own a Silverado Classic keep that in mind when ordering headlights and other parts, one and a half years of special model parts. Get a tuner/monitor with a egt sensor and monitor all the data points they will tell you a lot about how your engine is doing, use it to check you fuel injectors. use an oil analysis service on your engine and trans
high miles could mean freeway miles low mile could mean the same or all off road , a lot of guessing going on but keep in mind these are great trucks and 2006 to first half of 2007 are much better than earlier models and they were good, get the one with the most option , creature comforts are great, there are guys out there that know what the problems with their vehicle but will lie to you about it and things will pop up that they had no clue about, I only have 200,000 on mine and going strong and no 2 Duramax sound the same, they make little noises, because the engines are quiet you can hear the little noises
Old 10-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Slinging Arrows
Block Heater

I was in your same spot about 7-8 years ago and trying to decide between a 2005/2006 diesel truck. From my experience since I bought my 2005 (I bought it with 100K miles and just reached 200K miles a couple weeks ago) it has been a great truck. I do the regular maintenance including oil samples and like said in a previous post just had to replace all the brake lines due to rusting. Also I had to replace the fuel lines about a week ago that turned into fuel lines, fuel cooler and fuel pump due to everything being rusted together. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought a 2006 or checked to make sure the head gaskets were changed before purchasing the 2005 (I had the head gaskets done around 150K and this problem was fixed on the 2006's from what I have read). If you know any diesel mechanics have them take a look at it and give their opinion before buying and wishing you the best on a truck that will last if maintained. Good luck.
Air Lift Load Lifter 5000's
1st diesel truck
All stock from what I can tell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in