LBZ: Buying my first Duramax today! - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > The Information Place > Buying or Selling a Truck Questions
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Buying or Selling a Truck Questions No Ads If you're looking to buy a new truck (new to you, or brand new) or selling a truck, come on in and post your questions here...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DAH7

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2019, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
DAH7
Heat Sink

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Buying my first Duramax today!

I am meeting with a guy today to buy my first Duramax. Got some news a couple weeks ago that my wife is pregnant with our first child. Then last week we found out we were having twins

I currently own a 1996 Ford 7.3 4x4 SCLB... We use this old truck to tow our 7k - 8K toy hauler to the Glamis sand dunes a few times per year. Wife and I decided that 4 doors is going to be a must, so this truck will be going to a new owner soon.

I am here because I found an original owner, Arizona climate, no accident 2006 LBZ motor with the LLY tune. CCSB with 221,000 miles. 4x4 with 6 speed trans and tow switch. Has never really been towed with outside of a small trailer of ATV's.

Guy was asking 14k originally, we ended up agreeing on taking the truck to a diesel shop for inspection, they said the truck was in great shape for its age and miles. However, has a mild oil leak that they believe is either a pan gasket or the dreaded rear main seal. Shop quoted around 1k to fix worst case scenario. only other issues are paint peeling in some areas and a rear window regulator needs replaced.

The seller of the truck is not in need of the money and saw that my wife was pregnant and we were young, so he helped me out on the price and we made a deal at 12K cash. I am going to meet him at the bank this afternoon to get our new truck.

My first questions to you guys are what kinds of things should I do to the truck right away? I don't want to make any crazy modifications, I just want this to be a super reliable tow rig for the family. On my old powerstroke I did a few things like a larger transmission cooler, bigger turbo down pipe and boost, trans and egt guages. Not sure what kinds of this are standard towing mods on these Duramax trucks. Hoping for some guidance from the community here. I am super excited to learn more about these trucks.

221,000 miles, all original, bone stock for now.

Last edited by OkDually; 09-20-2019 at 01:53 PM. Reason: prefix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2019, 01:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Welcome to DieselPlace
I moved your post over to the "Buying or Selling a Truck Questions" section of the forum for more appropriate answers to your questions.

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube Winter Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2019, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
jpru5112
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH7 View Post
I am meeting with a guy today to buy my first Duramax. Got some news a couple weeks ago that my wife is pregnant with our first child. Then last week we found out we were having twins

I currently own a 1996 Ford 7.3 4x4 SCLB... We use this old truck to tow our 7k - 8K toy hauler to the Glamis sand dunes a few times per year. Wife and I decided that 4 doors is going to be a must, so this truck will be going to a new owner soon.

I am here because I found an original owner, Arizona climate, no accident 2006 LBZ motor with the LLY tune. CCSB with 221,000 miles. 4x4 with 6 speed trans and tow switch. Has never really been towed with outside of a small trailer of ATV's.

Guy was asking 14k originally, we ended up agreeing on taking the truck to a diesel shop for inspection, they said the truck was in great shape for its age and miles. However, has a mild oil leak that they believe is either a pan gasket or the dreaded rear main seal. Shop quoted around 1k to fix worst case scenario. only other issues are paint peeling in some areas and a rear window regulator needs replaced.

The seller of the truck is not in need of the money and saw that my wife was pregnant and we were young, so he helped me out on the price and we made a deal at 12K cash. I am going to meet him at the bank this afternoon to get our new truck.

My first questions to you guys are what kinds of things should I do to the truck right away? I don't want to make any crazy modifications, I just want this to be a super reliable tow rig for the family. On my old powerstroke I did a few things like a larger transmission cooler, bigger turbo down pipe and boost, trans and egt guages. Not sure what kinds of this are standard towing mods on these Duramax trucks. Hoping for some guidance from the community here. I am super excited to learn more about these trucks.

Go with the double car seat install and wet wipe dispenser.
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2019, 10:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rambos_Ride
Diesel Nut

Great DEAL! (I think)

IMO - I'd hold off doing any mods at all.

Get your basics in line first.

#1 Brakes and Tires For the sake of your family - if they are even questionable don't risk it. At 200K + make sure you look at rotors, hubs, wheel speed sensors, brake lines.

#2 Clean/Repair/Replace Grounds - this is the cheapest, simplest thing you can do to head off electrical gremlins and breakdowns...find and look for other things like typical rub thru areas (search this forum for wire chaffing or rub thru)

#3 Make sure the thing is mechanically sound bumper-to-bumper - any other consumables need replacing...shocks, u-joints, a-arm bushings etc.

Then if you have any money left over from the TWINS (congrats' on that btw) then do some performance mods.

1998 K3500 CrewCab 4x4 DRW Turbo Diesel SOLD

#1162 Dually Club

Last edited by Rambos_Ride; 09-20-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
DAH7
Heat Sink

Meant to post a couple photos of the truck, but i've been out of town for a few days.

We ran around in the truck yesterday running some errands and i've already noticed a couple things that i'd like to improve:

1. the brake pedal is spongy as hell. It will stop when you need it too, but it takes a lot of pedal travel and pedal pressure to really get the brakes to grab.

2. The steering feels pretty stiff relative to what I was expecting. My 96 powerstroke steers like a dream compared to this 06 duramax. When pulling into parking spots and such, it takes a lot of effort to steer this big rig.

After doing dome reading, it sounds like these 2 issues could both be improved by flushing the fluid in both systems. I think I will start by flushing the power steering fluid from the hydro boost like HookEm shows in his write up (which looks excellent). I am going to pop the tops on both reservoirs tonight and see what the fluid looks like. I am almost hoping it looks bad so that a fluid flush will help significantly. I hope these issues are not caused by a bigger problem.

Anyhow, here are a couple photos of the truck at the house yesterday! I am still excited, even with the steering and braking needing some work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambos_Ride View Post
Great DEAL! (I think)

IMO - I'd hold off doing any mods at all.

Get your basics in line first.

#1 Brakes and Tires For the sake of your family - if they are even questionable don't risk it. At 200K + make sure you look at rotors, hubs, wheel speed sensors, brake lines.

#2 Clean/Repair/Replace Grounds - this is the cheapest, simplest thing you can do to head off electrical gremlins and breakdowns...find and look for other things like typical rub thru areas (search this forum for wire chaffing or rub thru)

#3 Make sure the thing is mechanically sound bumper-to-bumper - any other consumables need replacing...shocks, u-joints, a-arm bushings etc.

Then if you have any money left over from the TWINS (congrats' on that btw) then do some performance mods.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rambos_Ride
Diesel Nut

Running larger tires than stock "can" affect steering somewhat.

Looks like they might have cranked up the torsion bars to lift the front end?

1998 K3500 CrewCab 4x4 DRW Turbo Diesel SOLD

#1162 Dually Club
Old 09-25-2019, 07:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
DAH7
Heat Sink

It does have 18" wheels with 285 BFG AT's, but I have the same size tires on my 96 powerstroke, so I am fairly certain there is something else going on in addition to the tires.

Would cranking up the torsion bars to lift the front end have a negative effect on steering? Or was that just a genral observation from the photos? I would be willing to set them back to stock if it would help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambos_Ride View Post
Running larger tires than stock "can" affect steering somewhat.

Looks like they might have cranked up the torsion bars to lift the front end?

Old 09-25-2019, 10:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
DAH7
Heat Sink

I just got done flushing the power steering fluid this evening. I just used regular old Prestone power steering fluid because it was clear and I wanted to be able to see when the fluid was coming out clear.

I flushed out a full 2 quarts and she is steering better now. I also noticed the brakes feel a million times better after doing this. The pedal is no longer soft and squishy and the brakes grab much sooner with a lot less pressure needing be applied to the pedal. I am planning to flush the brake fluid and bleed the brakes later this week as well. I was very encouraged with the improvement after the power steering flush.

Th brake fluid looks a little worse than the power steering fluid did before the flush.

Old 09-26-2019, 12:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
tnDan
Glow Plug

Nice looking truck and congrats on the twins!

Drive as is to sort things out and figure what kind of maintenance it needs.
If brakes start getting spongy again and fluid flush doesn't fix the hydrobooster could need replacing and if so upgrade with one for a 2011 model.

-check the front for worn parts, tie rods, ball joints, idler/pitman arms
-look into "pump rub"
-if it has original head gaskets start saving or research doing your own
-remove rear driveshaft and check u-joints. Many a t-case/trans have been broken when a joint fails
-trans cooler line upgrade, kit or DIY

If you're going to run stock power no need for a lift pump.
It does look like the torsion bars are cranked up, I prefer more of a stock ride height and flatter CV angles.

-research cleaning cooling stack, with the age and miles probably pretty dirty by now.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
DAH7
Heat Sink

The shop that inspected the truck mentioned that the ball joints are starting to wear a bit, but they didn't need to be replaced yet. Can I adjust the torsion bars back down to the stock setting? I assume having them cranked up will cause premature wear on the front end. I don't need the front end lifted up at all. Glad you guys noticed this, as I had no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnDan View Post
Nice looking truck and congrats on the twins!

Drive as is to sort things out and figure what kind of maintenance it needs.
If brakes start getting spongy again and fluid flush doesn't fix the hydrobooster could need replacing and if so upgrade with one for a 2011 model.

-check the front for worn parts, tie rods, ball joints, idler/pitman arms
-look into "pump rub"
-if it has original head gaskets start saving or research doing your own
-remove rear driveshaft and check u-joints. Many a t-case/trans have been broken when a joint fails
-trans cooler line upgrade, kit or DIY

If you're going to run stock power no need for a lift pump.
It does look like the torsion bars are cranked up, I prefer more of a stock ride height and flatter CV angles.

-research cleaning cooling stack, with the age and miles probably pretty dirty by now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in