Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   New Vehicle Information (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/71-information-place/37-new-vehicle-information/)
-   -   Watching the truck get built (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/71-information-place/37-new-vehicle-information/847313-watching-truck-get-built.html)

Ted White 07-14-2016 05:48 PM

Watching the truck get built

Looks like I will be in Flint very soon to watch the final few hours of assembly on my new factory ordered 2016. Can't believe that I was in the right place at the right time to get invited.

Just wondering if anyone else has done a View Build, as they call it, and if so, do you have any tips? For example, to watch out for specific assembly processes that are interesting, or how to stay in the plant longer and see more, or what to ask to see that may not be on the standard route, or what questions to ask about the assembly process?

Tom S. 07-15-2016 05:32 AM

It's a neat experience, especially for those who are unaware of the assembly process, but it leaves you wondering, if they can build the whole truck in a hour or so, why does it take so long to fix them? :HiHi: :whistle:

MTU alum 07-15-2016 10:53 AM

It would be interesting to see what areas they will let you see. I have not been to Flint Assembly but, have been to several other plants. There will be the body shop, paint area, chassis line, trim line, and final line. You probably will not see your body being built or painted. It is pretty cool to see the chassis and body get "married" together.

Stay within yellow lines and watch out for fork trucks.

peckwh 07-15-2016 11:01 AM

Take a BB gun so you can shoot any gremlins you see trying to make a home in your new truck. :thumb:

Ted White 07-15-2016 11:28 AM

I've been told that I will witness the last 3 to 4 hours of build on my specific truck, and will see it roll off the end of the line. In addition, I may get the chance to actually assemble a small part of the vehicle.

DIESAHL 07-15-2016 12:16 PM

there was a post on here about a guy that went through one but i did a search and couldnt find it

Tom S. 07-15-2016 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted White (Post 8488465)
In addition, I may get the chance to actually assemble a small part of the vehicle.

They do that so if anything goes wrong with it later on, they can blame you. :whistle:

peckwh 07-15-2016 08:25 PM

Be sure to snap some photos and share them with us. That will be cool to see. One question. When it rolls off the line do you pay there and drive it home or do they have to ship it to a dealer to make the transaction?

Oregonnovaguy 07-15-2016 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peckwh (Post 8488873)
Be sure to snap some photos and share them with us. That will be cool to see. One question. When it rolls off the line do you pay there and drive it home or do they have to ship it to a dealer to make the transaction?

Good question! Think of how much you could save on "delivery charges".:bawl:

Ted White 07-16-2016 01:16 AM

No photos or videos permitted. An official GM photographer will take pictures and send me copies by email. And unfortunately I still have to wait for the truck to be delivered to the dealership after it rolls off the line - you would think it would make sense to let me drive it away, but not allowed.