Watching the truck get built - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > The Information Place > New Vehicle Information
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

New Vehicle Information Discuss upcoming changes, rebates & offers, and the new vehicle ordering process.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2016, 08:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post
No photos or videos permitted. An official GM photographer will take pictures and send me copies by email. And unfortunately I still have to wait for the truck to be delivered to the dealership after it rolls off the line - you would think it would make sense to let me drive it away, but not allowed.
The reason for that is GM has a contract with the shipping company. While I won't say exceptions haven't been made, it involves red tape they aren't willing to go through in most cases. On top of that, there are things the dealer is responsible to prep on the vehicle before you get it, including adding certain options if ordered like side steps.

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown

Last edited by Tom S.; 07-16-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2016, 08:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ted White
Diesel Champ

Had a fantastic visit to the Flint Assembly Plant last Thursday, almost 4 hours, and this was not your average public type tour, where you are 30 feet away from the action - this tour was up close and personal.

I was invited on to the line at a number of stations so that I could watch the assembly up close, I was given the opportunity to apply a 3550 HD label to a door on the assembly line, and I started a truck for the first time at the end of the line. Unfortunately, it wasn't MY truck, because the factory coordination went a bit off the rails and my truck got built just ahead of my arrival at the Plant. Everyone was extremely apologetic and they did their best to make good by ensuring that I had a really good tour, including time in the brand new paint shop, which is still being brought up to speed.

About a quarter of the 700 trucks being built every day are now being painted in the new shop, and the aim is to have all the 2017s painted there. (I saw some 2017 bodies being painted as part of a test run to check the line).

I did get to sit in my own truck, start it, and have photos taken, but it would have been nice to have been the first one to do it.

And yes, I did meet Pete and Robin at the Plant.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
aka108
Diesel Guru

Armed Forces Club Member

In 1955 a friend of my Dads bought 2 new Oldsmobile hardtops and got factory delivery Heflew his son and me back to Lansing (SP?)to pick them up and then drive Calif. Back then you could get a very rewarding cost saving by taking factory delivery and it was even encouraged. We were both 18 a the time and the factory people treated us and a few others like royalty. We spent just about two days there with a factdory guide. We followed our two vehicles from the chassis on up to completion. Only time we did not see the work in process was during lunch, again courtesy of the Olds people. When the two cars rolled off the line they went in for a safety check, fluids check, interior cleaned, body washed, signed a few papers off, given the keys and we were gone.Very interesting two days.
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2016, 05:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Oregonnovaguy
Diesel Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
The reason for that is GM has a contract with the shipping company. While I won't say exceptions haven't been made, it involves red tape they aren't willing to go through in most cases. On top of that, there are things the dealer is responsible to prep on the vehicle before you get it, including adding certain options if ordered like side steps.
Interesting note, not sure if it is still true, but a few years ago if you ordered a Silverado with a painted grill, it was shipped inside, and installed at the dealer, since all were assembled with the "chrome" grill. After they were replaced with the painted unit, the protocol was for the dealer to destroy (crush) the chrome grill and dispose. I suspect a few found their way onto eBay.

2007.5 Silverado LTZ / Z-71, 4x4, Crew Cab SB, Silver Birch/ Ebony Leather, , 150k + miles, , etc. Gearbox Z, Air Lifts
Montana High Country 310RE
My Other other Car: 70 Nova SS 350, 4 speed, posi, Fathom Blue, frame-off resto, original owner!
Previous Trucks: '03 Silverado CC gasser 4x4, '99 Sierra Ext. Cab 4x4, '77 Dodge Power Wagon 4x4, '76 Datsun 620.

Read the DISCLAIMER in my garage.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ted White
Diesel Champ

I saw a number of different types of grills being fitted at the Flint plant while I was there so I don't think that such a grill replacement scheme is still in place.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Old 10-26-2016, 04:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ted White
Diesel Champ

Yes, that video, and some others, can also be found on YouTube with a Flint truck plant search.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
06bowtie_guy
Diesel Expert

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

Missed this post until now,

Pete is awesome, he hooked me up with the info for my tour.

Back from my tour.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/918094...57651587437590

Member of the Diesel Place ONTARIO CHAPTER
R.I.P Jason (willyswanter) Payne
Old 02-13-2017, 10:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
Ted White
Diesel Champ

Great pictures. Wish I had taken a bunch while I was there.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
06bowtie_guy
Diesel Expert

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

They were all taken by the rep while there and then emailed to me after my visit. No cameras were allowed by us on tour.

No one from GM took pictures while you were there?

Member of the Diesel Place ONTARIO CHAPTER
R.I.P Jason (willyswanter) Payne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in