new 2015 silvreado vs sierra - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > The Information Place > New Vehicle Information
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

New Vehicle Information Discuss upcoming changes, rebates & offers, and the new vehicle ordering process.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2014, 10:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
otisd85
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

new 2015 silvreado vs sierra

so, i think i am in the market for a new truck, but im undecided on chevy or gmc. what are the differences between the 2? from what i understand, any differences are purely cosmetic, and will not affect the mechanical ability of the truck. obviously the front clip is different, ive noticed the tail lights are different, gmc has a extra horizontal line just above the wheel wells along with the plastic trim in the wheel wells. a few of the other things ive noticed are that it looks like there is some sort of rhino lining type of material on the rockers of the gmc, and the gmc i was looking at had carpet type fabric in the wheel wells, maybe i just overlooked it, but i hadnt noticed this on any of the chevrolets. when i try to search for the differences online it seems like the only thing i can come up with is the gmc has "real" aluminium trim in the cab that you cant get on the chevy. these are just small things ive noticed from looking at the trucks, and im curious what others have noticed and what i have overlooked?

the truck i want is a blue cobalt slt, or a blue topaz ltz with perforated ebony seats. itll be a crew cab long box 3500hd single rear wheel. im leaning to chevy for now because its cheaper, but i like that the gmc isnt as common. im curious about the lining i noticed on the gmc and dont know if its available on the chevy, i dont know if the carpet in the wheel wells of the gmc would speed up rust after getting soaked with salt water here in the rust belt winters. and i dont like that the slt comes with nerf bars and nav, both options i wouldnt get on a ltz, but i want heated and cooled seats, so ltz, slt, and denali are my only options, and im not interested in the denali

sorry for the long winded post, and if you made it this far thanks for reading. hopefully im not the only curious about the differences, and any responses will help others make a well informed decision as well.

thanks, otis

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2014, 10:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
TiredFarmer
Gone but not forgotten member

I went to Chevy and GMC websites to "build" identical trucks and only thing I could find was fancier interior on the GMC. Basic platforms are same, same motor, tranny, rear end, etc. Probably the packages just contain different options.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT
Member #1063 3500 Dually Club
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 01:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
BanksLB7Duramax
Diesel Champ

Same trucks mechanically. The "carpet" wheel well liners are standard on the chevy too. Figure out which one looks nicer to you and has the options you desire and go with it. What will you be towing and hauling with the truck?
MY FUELLY PAGE LINK

1984 C20 6.2 J Code TH400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
otisd85
Gear Grinder

i travel for work, and usually stay in a motel. my car's reliable life is coming to an end as far as being able to count on it for work, its stressful wondering if im going to make it. for the time being, the truck will be used as a replacement for my car, once it is paid off, ill be shoping for a camper to avoid the motel rooms. thats my plans anyway.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
aka108
Diesel Guru

Armed Forces Club Member

Get whichever one you like best. They are almost identical twins with just a few cosmetic changes. I would most likely get whichever one I could get for the least money when identically equipped.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in