2015 Silverado Fasteners - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > The Information Place > New Vehicle Information
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

New Vehicle Information Discuss upcoming changes, rebates & offers, and the new vehicle ordering process.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2014, 01:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
AXE
Diesel Boss

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

2015 Silverado Fasteners

Are these rigs predominantly assembled with metric fasteners? The only wrenching I've done on mine is adding the assist steps, which were metric.

Seems like my 2005 was mostly metric, but I always carried a combo SAE and metric set of tools, since some of my trailers and equipment use SAE fasteners.

I am going to assemble a custom set of tools for this rig to save some space under the rear seat in the OEM storage bin, where there is not much room. I think I will emphasize the metric with more variety and sizes and just include a basic set of SAE tools.

Thanks.

2015 Chevrolet 2500 HD LTZ Duramax, CCSB, 4x4 - Cognito Stage II 6" lift, RBP Fury wheels and 295/65/20 Toyo MTs, DuramaxTuner SPADE, Air Dog II 4G lift pump, Firestone Air Bags/Air Lift Air Compressor, GM Assist Steps, MBRP exhaust tip, Passport 9500iX Radar Detector

SOLD 2005 Chevrolet 2500 HD Duramax, CCSB, 4x4

2017 Can Am Maverick Maxx, 2009 Tahoe 215Xi Deckboat, 2007 Weekend Warrior FSC2800 Toyhauler, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard

Last edited by AXE; 06-12-2014 at 01:09 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
chevyzr2s10
Diesel Rookie

I have not seen a single fastener on my truck that wasn't metric. Most of the GM vehicles that I have worked on over the last 10 years have been all metric. Although if you have aftermarket accessories, like a B&W turnoverball they sometimes use SAE fasteners.

1996 Saturn SL2
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

They are all metric, however most have SAE equivalent sizes. The one that doesn't is 10mm.

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
AXE
Diesel Boss

That's pretty much what I thought. I really never had to do anything to my 2005 other than filters and belts and oil changes, so I didn't really do much wrenching on it.

The lift I installed on this truck has more fasteners, I will have to make sure what spec fasteners they use. Other than that, I won't have too many more accessories to worry about.

The tool set I have right now would be fine, but the molded case won't fit in the storage bin, so I gotta do something else and it is probably going to have to be a tool bag to fit better. The one I have was fine under my 2005 rear seat where it sat in the middle 142K miles. I'll put the old one in my camper or in the tool box on my utility trailer.

Sears has a couple of pretty nice socket sets on sale for Father's day. I think I will pick one up and add some box end wrenches they have on sale and call it a day.
2015 Chevrolet 2500 HD LTZ Duramax, CCSB, 4x4 - Cognito Stage II 6" lift, RBP Fury wheels and 295/65/20 Toyo MTs, DuramaxTuner SPADE, Air Dog II 4G lift pump, Firestone Air Bags/Air Lift Air Compressor, GM Assist Steps, MBRP exhaust tip, Passport 9500iX Radar Detector

2017 Can Am Maverick Maxx, 2009 Tahoe 215Xi Deckboat, 2007 Weekend Warrior FSC2800 Toyhauler, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard
Old 06-12-2014, 08:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
callie454
Lead Moderator
Bidness is Boomin'!

iTrader Score: 6 reviews

CNY Diesel Club Member

CT Smoke Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

7mm, 10mm, 13mm, Torx head "swiss army knife", plastic push-in fastener removal tool, phillips, Strap wrench (fuel filter), 1/2" cheater bar (serpentine tensioner), among others- are tools that I always have in the truck. I have it in the bed in an old Ammo box. Keeps them nice and dry.
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ Limited
1958 Corvette Dual Quads, 4 speed
2003 Corvette Z06 ProCharger
Old 06-12-2014, 10:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Franswa
Diesel Apprentice

I think its MAC or matco that makes wrenches and sockets that fit sae and metric, friend of mine has them they work pretty well, kind of a strange spline looking hex but seem to grip everything

Sent from under the bonnet of some rich guys Porsche

1995 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 6.5TD
Buddy Chip
4" ebay exhaust, 3" ebay crossover
k47 air cleaner housing
2000 water pump, kodiak fan clutch, Duramax fan

Last edited by Franswa; 06-12-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
duramex
Diesel Boss

All i carry is a set of screw drivers and a metric crescent wrench
Old 06-13-2014, 02:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
AXE
Diesel Boss

I seen an oilfield roustabout with a "crammer" once. It is basically a large crescent wrench with a 2 - 2.5 lb sledge hammer head welded on the handle in case you need to add a little persuasion to the equation..............awesomeness!

I thought to myself I could really use one of those..........if for nothing else, to pull it out once in a while and have a good laugh with someone.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
AXE
Diesel Boss

I finished getting my new gear together today and I am happy with the new additions to my previous gear.

I purchased an 85 piece set of Craftsman Max Access sockets ($76) that have a wide range of metric and SAE sockets in 1/4 and 3/9 drive without the need for deep wells. They fit well under the OEM seat storage in the molded plastic case, which is nice. I also added a set of GearWrench ratcheting box end wrenches ($50) in metric and SAE 20 wrenches), which are very smooth.

Sears.com

Sears.com

The balance of my gear includes a range of other useful stuff all packed nicely into the OEM storage area and under the rear seat below the seatback.

A medium tool bag loaded with the box end wrenches, a few crescent wrenches, pliers, channel lock, vise grip, wire cutters, needle nose, and a ball peen hammer, and a screwdriver with multiple torx/allen head/Phillips/standard drivers.

Two small backpacks loaded with various gear such as electrical tape, wire, duct tape, tie wraps, fuses, tie downs, bungee straps, paracord, knife, rain poncho, first aid kit, flashlights, LED trouble light, extension cords, small air compressor, jumper cables, and a tow rope.

I also have a tow hook and a clevis that will insert into my receiver hitch and a 6 ton bottle jack under the seatback. As well as a belt replacement tool and extra belt and fuel filter.

It is a much tighter fit than my 2005, but I made it fit and it is well organized. I don't think GM did all they could do to add as much storage inside the vehicle. I think they should so like Ram does and put some subfloor storage pockets in and it would be very convenient.

I am also a little concerned that the rear seat does not lock in place. If you hit some major terrain or manage to turn this thing over, you will no doubt be getting a set of wrenches or various other heavy objects bouncing off your melon....................maybe I will have bigger things to worry about if I'm upside down.

Last edited by AXE; 06-15-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

I like ratchet wrenches but I don't trust them for tight or high torque nuts and bolts. For that, I use a 6 point socket of wrench. Of course that shouldn't be an issue on a new truck!

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in