Provision for Roof Mounted Lamps - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > The Information Place > New Vehicle Information
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

New Vehicle Information Discuss upcoming changes, rebates & offers, and the new vehicle ordering process.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2014, 11:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
jerkyboy
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Provision for Roof Mounted Lamps

The snow plow prep package option on the 2015 states that it includes the provision for roof mounted lamps. The truck I'm looking at has the snow plow prep package but doesn't have the lamps. I'm guessing that if I purchased them they'd come with the appropriate template for placement and the wiring would already be in place? Anyone do the install yet? Also, are they just for aesthetics or do they really provide additional light.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2014, 12:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
saxman915
Diesel Fanatic

Thats not talking about clearance/cab lights its talking about like a rotating orange beacon or firefighter light. Not sure if thats what u meant but thats how I took it. From other threads no the wiring for cab lights isnt there

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 07:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
jerkyboy
Diesel Apprentice

Im pretty certain that its for the cab lights because whenever i look at trucks online that have the roof marker lamps option, it has the cab lights. It is only a $55 option.

Last edited by jerkyboy; 05-10-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2014, 07:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
callie454
Lead Moderator
Bidness is Boomin'!

iTrader Score: 6 reviews

CNY Diesel Club Member

CT Smoke Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Moved to New Vehicle Information
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ Limited
1958 Corvette Dual Quads, 4 speed
2003 Corvette Z06 ProCharger
Old 05-10-2014, 08:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
saxman915
Diesel Fanatic

I promise that it is 2 different things. The reason that its included with the plow prep package is for a service light. The cab marker lights are just a $55 option. The cab lights and the roof marker light beacon are 2 differentt things. The roof light provision will have a switch on the inside to turn the service light on. The cab lights turn on automatically with your parking lights. You can have both which is what you are seeing when one has the provision and has cab lights.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
bigdisneydaddy
Diesel Boss

Like saxman says, the plow prep has a dash mounted switch for a roof mounted light required in most states when plowing. The wire is looped behind the third brake light.
The 5 cab marker lamps are an entirely different issue.
05 CCSB. LS. 285 Michelins on Ultra wheels, Leer 100XL cap, LED marker lights below taligate, 4" turbo back magnaflow exhaust, LBZ mouthpiece, Mag-hytec rear diff cover, Txchristopher CAI, Kennedy EGR blocker and Finger stick, Fumoto valve with nipple, 4high with fog mod (my design) MA tailgate straps, Scan gauge, rebuilt filter head at 115k.
Towing an Open range JT340FLR, 36 ft and 10k.
I am "statistically insignificant"
Old 05-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

As everyone has said, it is for the revolving or strobe light that is required by law in many states for those who plow snow. It has nothing to do with the cab lights.

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown
Old 05-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
jerkyboy
Diesel Apprentice

Got it...thanks for all the input. So now my question is what if I want the cab lights and my truck isnt optioned with them? Will it be a pia to i stall them?
Old 05-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
saxman915
Diesel Fanatic

There is 1 guy that I have seen on here that has done it on a 15. Its just kind of scary because you will be drilling holes in the roof of your new truck. Also he had a hard time finding the wiring harness. You headliner will have to come out wiring harness installed and holes drilled. One big draw back is that they wont be under warranty for the lights or leaking. I personally wouldnt have an HD truck without them though. Unless they are just giving you a deal you cant turn down I would try ordering or see if they can dealer trade.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman915 View Post
There is 1 guy that I have seen on here that has done it on a 15. Its just kind of scary because you will be drilling holes in the roof of your new truck. Also he had a hard time finding the wiring harness. You headliner will have to come out wiring harness installed and holes drilled. One big draw back is that they wont be under warranty for the lights or leaking. I personally wouldnt have an HD truck without them though. Unless they are just giving you a deal you cant turn down I would try ordering or see if they can dealer trade.

Or ask them to order the lights and install them as part of the deal. Maybe you'll get a salesman to agree without knowing what's involved in adding them.

Personally, I'd rather order the truck new and get it exactly as I wanted it.

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in