2015 Fuel Mileage - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > The Information Place > New Vehicle Information
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

New Vehicle Information Discuss upcoming changes, rebates & offers, and the new vehicle ordering process.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2014, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
AXE
Diesel Boss

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

2015 Fuel Mileage

I have about 1450 miles on my rig now and I have been through about 90 gallons of fuel. That equates to about 16 mpg on average and that is close to what the DIC has been showing. I got about the same on the highway running 75+ mph (slightly better) that I get in town doing a combination of freeway and streets on my commute.

I still haven't noticed any significant regens, but I did think one time that it was a little sluggish when I stepped on it, so that could have been the issue. Also, the last couple of gallons of fuel on my commute, the DIC all of a sudden showed my fuel mileage average was 15.5 and it had been 16-16.7 pretty steady, that may have been a regen cycle too.

I hope the mileage gets a little better, I was hoping to be seeing 18+ mpg. If not, once I get my lift and bigger tires, it is going to be painful.

This 36 gallon tank is awesome and I can stretch my commute out about two weeks between fillups. For the record, my DIC mileage showed about 530 miles and the tank took about 35 gallons to fill up this last time (15+ mpg, mostly around town). I think the mileage remaining estimate that the DIC shows is pretty accurate at around 550 miles with a full tank.

When you get low on fuel, you first get a fuel warning light on the guage and audible warning, then after a while you get a low fuel warning on the DIC with a mileage estimate, then it will switch to a steady low fuel warning. Also, your MyLink system gets in on the action and the GPS starts to identify fuel stations on the screen. Pretty awesome if you are in unfamiliar territory.

2015 Chevrolet 2500 HD LTZ Duramax, CCSB, 4x4 - Cognito Stage II 6" lift, RBP Fury wheels and 295/65/20 Toyo MTs, DuramaxTuner SPADE, Air Dog II 4G lift pump, Firestone Air Bags/Air Lift Air Compressor, GM Assist Steps, MBRP exhaust tip, Passport 9500iX Radar Detector

SOLD 2005 Chevrolet 2500 HD Duramax, CCSB, 4x4

2017 Can Am Maverick Maxx, 2009 Tahoe 215Xi Deckboat, 2007 Weekend Warrior FSC2800 Toyhauler, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard

Last edited by AXE; 04-26-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

When I got my 06, mileage started out about that. By the time I reached 20K, it was getting 14 around town and 20 to 21 on the highway at 70. The new one looks to be starting out the same. On a recent trip to North Carolina, I averaged 16.5 on the way there and 18 on the way back. I'm getting ready to switch to Mobil 1, which also helped in the 06.

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
chevyzr2s10
Diesel Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXE View Post
I have about 1450 miles on my rig now and I have been through about 90 gallons of fuel. That equates to about 16 mpg on average and that is close to what the DIC has been showing. I got about the same on the highway running 75+ mph (slightly better) that I get in town doing a combination of freeway and streets on my commute.

I still haven't noticed any significant regens, but I did think one time that it was a little sluggish when I stepped on it, so that could have been the issue. Also, the last couple of gallons of fuel on my commute, the DIC all of a sudden showed my fuel mileage average was 15.5 and it had been 16-16.7 pretty steady, that may have been a regen cycle too.

I hope the mileage gets a little better, I was hoping to be seeing 18+ mpg. If not, once I get my lift and bigger tires, it is going to be painful.

This 36 gallon tank is awesome and I can stretch my commute out about two weeks between fillups. For the record, my DIC mileage showed about 530 miles and the tank took about 35 gallons to fill up this last time (15+ mpg, mostly around town). I think the mileage remaining estimate that the DIC shows is pretty accurate at around 550 miles with a full tank.

When you get low on fuel, you first get a fuel warning light on the guage and audible warning, then after a while you get a low fuel warning on the DIC with a mileage estimate, then it will switch to a steady low fuel warning. Also, your MyLink system gets in on the action and the GPS starts to identify fuel stations on the screen. Pretty awesome if you are in unfamiliar territory.
In the first 2 tanks of fuel I'm getting similar mileage (15.0mpg) but I also have spent very little time on the highway. However, during a 60mi run on the highway with the cruise set at 65mph I averaged 22.1mpg over 50mi per the DIC.

I will be hand calculating every fill up with this tuck and you can view my results on the link below.

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/cbird5...-hd?fu=6388056

1996 Saturn SL2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2014, 10:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
AXE
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
When I got my 06, mileage started out about that. By the time I reached 20K, it was getting 14 around town and 20 to 21 on the highway at 70. The new one looks to be starting out the same. On a recent trip to North Carolina, I averaged 16.5 on the way there and 18 on the way back. I'm getting ready to switch to Mobil 1, which also helped in the 06.
My 2005 got the same mileage from the get go. Only About 16.5 mpg with the lift and big tires. That cost me about 2 to 2.5 mpg.

I just did and oil change today to get rid of the first batch of oil. I don't like to run it long due to concern for more crap floating ariund than normal. Probably unfounded, but makes me feel better. I used conventional Mobil Delvac oil, but will probably switch to the Rotella synthetic at 5000 miles.

When do you switch to synthetic? My 2005 used synthetic oil until it got quite a few mikes on it. Ill probably try it and see.
2015 Chevrolet 2500 HD LTZ Duramax, CCSB, 4x4 - Cognito Stage II 6" lift, RBP Fury wheels and 295/65/20 Toyo MTs, DuramaxTuner SPADE, Air Dog II 4G lift pump, Firestone Air Bags/Air Lift Air Compressor, GM Assist Steps, MBRP exhaust tip, Passport 9500iX Radar Detector

2017 Can Am Maverick Maxx, 2009 Tahoe 215Xi Deckboat, 2007 Weekend Warrior FSC2800 Toyhauler, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard

Last edited by AXE; 04-27-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

On the 06, I switched to Mobil 1 at 1,000 miles. On the new truck, it will probably be at the first scheduled oil change.

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown
Old 04-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
AXE
Diesel Boss

Did you ever see your truck using oil when running synthetic? How long are your oil change intervals?

My 05 would use a little synthetic when I would run past 5000 miles on a change. Not sure why it was doing that, but I did a couple of changes at 7500 mile intervals and I would somehow use some oil at the end of that longer interval, albeit probably not even a quart but the dipstick did show a little low.

I went back to conventional oil (2500 mile intervals) for a while and then back to synthetic oil (5000 mile intervals) and then I didn't seem to have any issues. I can't recall when I actually made the switch to synthetic, but it was probably after 40K by the time I got through the "experiment".

Last edited by AXE; 04-28-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXE View Post
Did you ever see your truck using oil when running synthetic? How long are your oil change intervals?

My 05 would use a little synthetic when I would run past 5000 miles on a change. Not sure why it was doing that, but I did a couple of changes at 7500 mile intervals and I would somehow use some oil at the end of that longer interval, albeit probably not even a quart but the dipstick did show a little low.

I went back to conventional oil (2500 mile intervals) for a while and then back to synthetic oil (5000 mile intervals) and then I didn't seem to have any issues. I can't recall when I actually made the switch to synthetic, but it was probably after 40K by the time I got through the "experiment".
I started using Mobil 1 in 1977 in a 1978 pick up purchased new. In 37 years of using synthetic oil, the only 'extra' consumption I experienced was in the early years when gaskets weren't as good as they are now. In those cases, you could find seepage in a lot of areas, including the valve covers and oil pan, but it wasn't a big issue usage wise. At the time, the recommended change mileage was 3,000. At 3K, I would change the filter and add a quart of oil. Then at 6K, I would change both the oil and the filter. I maintained that schedule until I bought the 06. I added the Amsoil remote filtration with the bypass filter and cut my oil changes once a year regardless of mileage. I haven't made up my mind about what I'm going to do with this truck yet.

I do have a story I've told many times about that 1978 truck. Several friends bought trucks, and one van, all with the Chevrolet 350 small block engine. GM had a major issue that year with heat treatment of the camshafts, and every one of my friends had the lobes wear off their cams at 10,000 to 12,000 miles. Mine lasted until 32,000. Because it was long out of warranty (12 months or 12,000 miles back then) I changed the cam and lifters myself. When I took the intake manifold off, the inside of that engine was spotless. It looked brand new inside. Because of the extended wear and cleanliness, I've run synthetic in everything I owned ever since.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
AXE
Diesel Boss

That is interesting on your 78 truck. Good to see real world results and not just marketing.

I grew up in a family where frequent oil and filter changes were routine, so I do it often. I pretty much run synthetic in all my stuff nowadays. I even use synthetic 2 stroke oil for my chainsaw and weedeater. I have seen the best results in my motorcycles, where the oil seems to stay cleaner longer and the starting and shifting are usually improved.

I am going to run synthetic in my 15 truck starting at 5000 and do it every 5000 after that. I can do a Rotella change for about $60 doing it myself, so about $180 year. That's cheap maintenance.

I will do my gear cases, transfer cases, transmission, etc. eventually. I usually run them a bit longer.

The Tahoe now calls for 0-20W synthetic. I don't see much of it around, but they are soaking you about $28 for 5 quarts at Walmart or $33+ more at the auto parts store.

I would like to think I would get better mileage with synthetic, but I think that is all marketing or is so neglible you don't see it tank to tank.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
saxman915
Diesel Fanatic

You guys do know that the 15 gets free oil changes for 2 years and free def top off right? More power to you if you are just wanting to do it yourself but just wanted to make sure you knew.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-28-2014, 07:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman915 View Post
You guys do know that the 15 gets free oil changes for 2 years and free def top off right? More power to you if you are just wanting to do it yourself but just wanted to make sure you knew.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I know, but I'll take in the oil for them to use. In the past 48 years of driving, I've paid to have my oil changed less than a handful of times.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in