Ford Released New Super Duty Power Numbers...GM now last - Page 6 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > The Information Place > New Vehicle Information
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

New Vehicle Information Discuss upcoming changes, rebates & offers, and the new vehicle ordering process.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #51 (permalink)
D.Camilleri
Lead Moderator
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNomad View Post
I'm not finding any RPMs to match up with those power and toque numbers anywhere... Not even from the horse's mouth.
Anybody else find them anywhere else (maybe somewhere else on Ford's website there's a press release or more detailed specs)?

The chart below compares the 2015 Ford F350 PowerStroke with both a 3.73 axle ratio and a 4.30 axle ratio to the current GM LML DMax (765 lb-ft) with a 3.73 axle ratio. It sure doesn't look like the Ford should need a 4.30 axle ratio. I'd be interested to see how much the Ford's margin of victory shrinks with a 3.73 axle ratio, especially from a rolling start that is more reflective of real-world conditions.
Looking at this chart will show exactly what I was talking about with gear and speed. With lower axle gears, it somewhat helps Ford's transmission gears, but not fully. If you were able to log torque sweet spots in rpm's, then you could figure at what speeds the trucks would pull the best in a given gear. Since Ford doesn't have a 1:1 ratio at all, it even makes comparing direct drive unequal. I suspect that Ford's transmission also eats more power in parasitic loss than the Allison, but that is just a guess. Also note that the 6.7 is available with some very tall axle gears also. How about a test with a 6.7 with some 3.20 axle gears towing heavy?

2017 3500HD CCLB Black on Black LTZ Loaded L5P, Banks Derringer with I dash, Ranch Hand bumper with 18K superwinch talon, Curt 20k puck hitch, 60 gallon aluminum transfer tank with electric pump, Onan Quiet Diesel 5500 for extra weight in the bed, Cooper STT PRO 285/65R18 and Vision Manic wheels. 2nd set of tires and wheels, Cepek Trail Country EXP 285/65R18 on Ultra Predator II Black/Machined 18x9

2018 Solitude 310GK fifth wheel with a 12' Haulmark tag trailer to haul toys in.

1997 Jeep TJ, Currie 8.8 high pinion axles front and rear with ARB air lockers, 4.56, 5 on 5.5 with warn hub kit, Atlas II transfer case with Klune V doubler, 4 inch Currie Lift and 35x12.50x15 Mickey Thompson MTZ on 15x10 Mickey Thompson wheels, Ramsey 9500 winch, hydraulic ram assist steering, on board welder and on board air, custom aluminum fuel tank.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #52 (permalink)
GoneNomad
Diesel Expert

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Fourth gear @ DMax/Allison/3.73 (3.73) is very close to fifth gear @ 2015 PowerStroke/6R140/4.30 (3.698), less than 1% difference.

I didn't know Ford offered so many different axle ratios in their HD pickups, but I guess it's good they offer those options where GM does not.
It also means Ford has to spend more money EPA-certifying all those other combinations, too.
AFAIK, GM didn't offer 4.1 or lower gearing even in the Kodiaks, and maybe they should have considering that the Allison's first gear isn't all that low.
First gear in the 6L90 is much lower, at 4.027:1. In fact, all of the 6R140's ratios are similar to the 6L90, including top gear.

Of course, the wider the gearing, the larger the steps between gears without increasing the number of gears.

The 6L90 & 6R140 have a total ratio (first:sixth) of about 6:1, while the Allison is 5.08:1 (about 15% closer gear spacing on average).

I should think six speeds are plenty for a diesel truck that has a wide torque curve and should not need to achieve a high top speed either.

Last edited by GoneNomad; 03-17-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in